PDA

View Full Version : WMP Replacement

B.M.
24-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Whilst I’m a faithful believer in “If it ain’t broke don’t fix it!” I was trapped into updating WMP 9 to WMP 11. :(

This trap came about whilst trying to install MediaPortal to view “Free To Air TV”.
MediaPortal insisted on WMP 9 being updated so reluctantly I went ahead and did so.

Well, the bottom line is I found WMP 11 a huge step backwards and now it has crashed again demanding it be authenticated. It has been at least twice and it looks like this is a routine thing. :(

Anyway, I tried to uninstall it and roll back to WMP 9 but it won’t do that either.

So, now I’ve packed one and am looking for a player that works like WMP 9 where you can see all your songs and sort them by Artist Genre etc. and it's good by WMP!

Any recommendations? :thanks

fred_fish
24-09-2009, 10:24 AM
Winamp?

Personally I use Amarok, but I think you need the whole KDE package if you want it in Windows.

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2009, 10:27 AM
DO you want the program to work with the tuner (since it sounds like you've got one). Winamp and maybe mediamonkey would have been OK. But I dont think either have options for tuners. Didnt the tuner come with its own program? Whats the brand/model of this tuner?

Blam
24-09-2009, 10:35 AM
MediaMonkey:)

Or Foobar, Winamp..

B.M.
24-09-2009, 11:31 AM
DO you want the program to work with the tuner (since it sounds like you've got one). Winamp and maybe mediamonkey would have been OK. But I dont think either have options for tuners. Didnt the tuner come with its own program? Whats the brand/model of this tuner?

Ok, to clarify a couple of things.

The Media Player doesnít have to work in with the Hauppauge HVR 3000.

Despite my best efforts I never got MediaPortal to work on Freeview so have reverted back to WinTV that came with the card.
Canít get any DVB-T channels, only Analogue and TV One and TV2 off Satellite.

Iím told my problem is my computer doesnít have enough grunt.
(2.4GHz processor Ė 1.5 Gig RAM Ė Radeon 9250 Display Adaptor.)

I would have thought I would have got something, even if the quality was poor, but noop. :confused: Having said that, the Analogue and two Satellite Channels are of excellent quality. :confused:

However, thatís another story I guess. :)

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2009, 12:01 PM
Its probably WinTV that sucks. I've read a few sites where that program is pretty much hopeless. I would get something like the tuner I brought here. An Avermedia Volar X. Never had a prob with it. Its USB

B.M.
24-09-2009, 12:42 PM
Its probably WinTV that sucks. I've read a few sites where that program is pretty much hopeless. I would get something like the tuner I brought here. An Avermedia Volar X. Never had a prob with it. Its USB

I'll look into that Speedy.

Would my spec's cope though? :confused:

Trouble was I read some "Rave Reviews" on Hauppauge HVR 3000 cards, but what they didn't say there wasn't any software to run them properly in NZ plus you needed a High Spec Computer as well. :(

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2009, 12:52 PM
Thats a good question. That maybe a bottleneck. Since it'll be mpeg4 and (some) recordings will be in HD. It's fine here, but I'm using a dual core system, with 8 GB. I would say, you'll need a pretty fast CPU / system, if youre planning on using a HD tuner, (whether its PCI or USB). Not only to view whatever, but also to record it

sroby
24-09-2009, 01:32 PM
Ok, to clarify a couple of things.

Despite my best efforts I never got MediaPortal to work on Freeview so have reverted back to WinTV that came with the card.
Canít get any DVB-T channels, only Analogue and TV One and TV2 off Satellite.

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=83
Buried in that forum somewhere is a good NZ link to setting up DVB-T in mediaportal (& & other software).
My DVB-T didnt work untill I followed the setup instructions, not straightforward if you dont know where all the settings are

You also need to setup GPU decoding, if supported by your card (use vid card for decoding of HD)

Blam
24-09-2009, 01:57 PM
Have you got Vista/7?

B.M.
24-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Have you got Vista/7?

No Blam, XP SP2. I'm behind the times, but I guess that's obvious. :lol:

wratterus
24-09-2009, 03:22 PM
Install Sp3 if you can. I've never seen WMP do this before, normally it behaves pretty well.