PDA

View Full Version : NTFS bitmap fefrag

linw
23-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Macrium Reflect (free) imager won't have a bar of a C: partition as it has a file system bitmap that is too fragmented! It suggested I defrag. Did that twice with XP SP3 defragger and ran chkdsk /f to no avail. The defrag prog shows the MFT has 18 fragments BTW.

BootIT imaged it with no problem so I do have a backup but I am curious as to how to defragment a file system bitmap short of deleting the partition and starting again.

I don't expect anyone to spend google time as I have found nothing that seems to directly relate to this. I can't ask on the Macrium forum, either, as it is only for the paid version. But perhaps someone already knows how to tackle this?

pctek
23-09-2009, 02:03 PM
Defragging only works up to a point. Then its bye bye partition and reinstall from scratch.

linw
23-09-2009, 09:58 PM
DriveImage XML and Acronis True Image don't have a problem. So, three work and one doesn't. Guess that is where it will have to stay. Pity I can't ask on the forum, though.

Blam
23-09-2009, 10:27 PM
Maybe try another defragging program such as Defraggler or Auslogics..

linw
25-09-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah, I did try defraggler but no diff. Just a quirk there somewhere. Frustrating, though, as I don't like to be beaten!!