PDA

View Full Version : Error on Page - Hotmail

B.M.
23-09-2009, 10:40 AM
A friend has out of the blue found she canít open some of her Hotmail because of an ďError on PageĒ message in the bottom left hand corner.

Ok, Iíve Googled the net and there are literally thousands of people experiencing this problem, some dating back to 2004. :eek:

Well I cleared all the temporary stuff using IE6ís own delete facilities and CCleaners as suggested but no luck.

I installed the latest Java because one site claimed that to be the trouble but no luck.

I then, out of pure frustration, installed Firefox and Whoopee, we have lift off, problem solved.

Ok, thatís all very well and good, but I hate this type of situation not knowing just what is going on. So, anybody been down the same road and can put me out of my misery by explaining what has happened to IE6? :thanks

Speedy Gonzales
23-09-2009, 10:41 AM
I would update IE6 for a start

pctek
23-09-2009, 12:36 PM
r Hotmail ďError on PageĒ

I then, installed Firefox and problem solved.

what has happened to IE6? :thanks

Hmm. Let's see.........

MS own Hotmail.
MS own IE.

2+2=

GameJunkie
23-09-2009, 12:58 PM
Hmm. Let's see.........

2+2=

5!

Sweep
23-09-2009, 01:33 PM
5!

But only for interesting values of 2 surely. Like the old pentium bug for example.

http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~dusko/cs63/fdiv.html

Laura
24-09-2009, 02:24 AM
I would update IE6 for a start

People keep saying that, I've noted.
But I've not seen explanations of WHY.

On the basis of "If it ain't broke,why fix it?' I've not updated from IE6 myself.
Originally, I remember it was because there was talk of extra "unneeded" stuff in it. Later, I didn't seem to be missing anything I needed, but I was mainly using Firefox anyway. So I let it be...

Now I use Firefox all the time, except for websites that won't wok with it.
M/S keeps nagging me, of course: in fact, has sneakily downloaded IE8 without me asking, in spite of my Customised Windows Update settings. (A trick the web tells me was done to thousands).

But I haven't installed it.
And until I learn what advantages it has, I'm not really of a mind to. There's always the Delete button.
I've got all the usual protections (firewall, antivirus, antimalware, trojan finder) so what magic bullet will IE8 give me?
I'm not totally pig-headed, just genuinely curious.

Erayd
24-09-2009, 02:34 AM
...so what magic bullet will IE8 give me?
I'm not totally pig-headed, just genuinely curious.Waaaaay better compliance with standards. IE6 doesn't follow many of the main standards in use on the web these days, and since its market share has plummeted many sites no longer bother to code for it, as doing so involves an awful lot of effort for pretty minimal gain.

It will also give you tabbed browsing, if you care about such things.

Laura
24-09-2009, 02:39 AM
Firefox has been giving me tabbed browsing since (forever..?)

But OK. Must admit your words of wisdom make sense, O Knowledgeable One.

Laura
24-09-2009, 02:40 AM
double post

gary67
24-09-2009, 06:40 AM
With each new release of IE security flaws are patched as well

pctek
24-09-2009, 08:11 AM
But I've not seen explanations of WHY.

On the basis of "If it ain't broke,why fix it?'
Now I use Firefox all the time,

Because MS wants you to.

And it is broke. Well MS keep patching the thing.
Just use FF. I never use IE.

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2009, 08:18 AM
And here's another 10+ reasons why you should update it, if you have IE6 (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=hotmail+and+ie+6&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

B.M.
24-09-2009, 09:23 AM
And here's another 10+ reasons why you should update it, if you have IE6 (http://www.google.co.nz/search?q=hotmail+and+ie+6&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Those posts Speedy are 2006 and this was working ok up to the other day.

As for IE7 & IE8, I donít know. Iíve heard of a lot of people upgrading and then having all sorts of problems, especially not being able to open or forward picture attachments.

Personally, I changed to Firefox just so I could rid myself of the beastly adds on this site and Iím very pleased with it. :) (Iím also very pleased with Eraydís code) :D

So, as far as Iím concerned Microsoft can update as many versions of IE as they like but it wonít affect me. Iíll stick with Firefox.

I also made the mistake of updating Media Player 9 to Media Player 11 and have had nothing but trouble with that, so Iím looking for a replacement for that too. However, Iíll start another thread on that one. :(

Speedy Gonzales
24-09-2009, 09:27 AM
Doesnt matter if its 2006, or 2000, the fact is theyre using IE 6 and having probs with hotmail. You dont add attachments in IE anyway. You use OL express, or an email client

B.M.
24-09-2009, 10:02 AM
Well it does matter because it was working fine on IE6 up to the other day so what happened 3+ years ago is pretty much irrelevant.

The upgrading of IE6 to IE7 or IE8 apparently somehow stuffed up Outlook Express and its ability to handle attachments, especially photos. :confused::confused:

Thankfully, it was not my problem. :clap