PDA

View Full Version : Building a web server

Eurisko
22-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi I am playing around with the idea of building my own web server and I am wondering about the technicalities. Is it possible to setup a name server as well? how would I do that on the same server as the web server. How would the name server point to the web server. What is the best OS to use for a name server and a web server preferably free. What are the typical specs for this kind of server, how would I configure the server to host different web sites. Any advice much appreciated including any starting points.

Rgdz,
E.

Blam
22-09-2009, 08:36 PM
Welcome to the PF1 forums!:)

Not much of an expert on web hosting-but from what I've heard apache is the way to go if you're planning to run a web server.

What you want is something cheap and has low power consumption, check out the ALIX boards here. They make great servers:D

http://www.pcengines.ch/alix.htm

Cheers
Blam

HAL9000
22-09-2009, 09:34 PM
Hi I am playing around with the idea of building my own web server and I am wondering about the technicalities. Is it possible to setup a name server as well? how would I do that on the same server as the web server. How would the name server point to the web server. What is the best OS to use for a name server and a web server preferably free. What are the typical specs for this kind of server, how would I configure the server to host different web sites. Any advice much appreciated including any starting points.

Rgdz,
E.

You should consider building this on a linux server. There are plenty of fan bois out there for each distro.

I personally am running Ubuntu 9.04 server running Webmin for administration, Apache, Postfix, BIND9. I rarely have to directly manage the server as I do most of it through Webmin and Putty.

As for DNS services you are porbably better off looking for a hosting service for you domain and DNS until your server is on a permanent internet link, and I don't mean a home ADSL link either.

As for what, how and where I would start with the Apache website on how to set Apache up. Work out what you want to do and research on the how to get it implemented. Tomcat for Java, PHP for scripting and so on. There is plenty of info out there. Google is yer mate here.

Finally make sure you pay attention to the seciruty implications of what you are doing before you go public. Research thoroughly.

Other than that, have fun learning.

Erayd
23-09-2009, 01:48 AM
I personally am running Ubuntu 9.04 server running Webmin for administration...
You do realise that webmin is known to break things, don't you? Most modules are more-or-less OK, but there are a few things that can completely screw your config. It's also very sensitive to which versions of various packages are installed, as it makes assumptions about the config for these.

I also wouldn't recommend Ubuntu for a server OS - it's easy to set up, but the updates aren't well tested, and can sometimes break stuff. If you like the system though, I'd suggest you go with the stable branch of Debian - it's very similar, but has none of the downsides I just mentioned.

Note to the original poster: running a DNS server has security implications, especially if using bind, and you need at least two. Unless you have a particular need to run your own, I'd strongly suggest you stick with the ones provided by your registrar.

Chilling_Silence
23-09-2009, 09:20 AM
+1 for those thoughts

1) Use your Domain hosts DNS servers until you're a whiz at the whole web-server side of things, trust me you'll save yourself a lot of pain and heartache!

2) Webmin can break things. It's nice once you get lazy, but if you can get yourself into "good practices" and learn how to manually setup the .conf files by hand, you'll thank yourself later for spending the time to learn it. I started with .conf's, got lazy and used webmin, then converted back after it hosed a couple of systems.

3) Unfortunately I'm with Erayd on this also, Debian or CentOS -- But to be frank you're probably best with vanilla debian. Outdated packages may seem a bit odd at first, but once you realize the amount of testing they've put in to things, you'll come to value the time the package maintainers put in to doing their job well :)

4) Alix systems are nice, but if its your first server then try any old hardware you have lying around. If its just hosting a small website or two, then literally anything out there with a CD drive you can lay your hands on that has the word "Pentium" in the title will do the trick :D If you've got a faster box to play around with and learn a few things, then all the better. Avoid Virtual Machines where possible, for a multitude of reasons.

My 2c anyways ;)

Cheers, and welcome to the forums!

Chill.

inphinity
23-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I'd agree, leave DNS for now. It's not a particularly complicated concept, but still one best left until later in the learning curve.

There is no such thing as typical specs for a web server imo. You can run a small, low-traffic site off a cellphone probably these days, but you're gonna need multiple, load-balanced servers for a large, high-traffic site.

nedkelly
23-09-2009, 09:43 AM
I use jana server http://www.janaserver.de/start.php?lang=en