PDA

View Full Version : Questions about CPU's

NZDragon
21-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm looking to buy a faster CPU for my Dell Optiplex GX260 (Desktop Version), but I'm new to computer upgrades, so I'm not sure if I have to follow specific "rules"... I don't wanna have everything blow up on me, so I have a few questions. :P

First of all, when buying a new CPU (my current one is an Intel Pentium 4, 1.8Ghz), would I absolutely have to get a new fan for it as well? Or will the original fan work just fine?

Second, will my computer only accept certain types of processors? I've looked up the specifications for my computer, and it says "Microprocessor type: Intel® Pentium® 4 and Celeron™ microprocessors"... does this mean any make of these brands would be compatible?

Metla
21-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Couldn't see any compatible cpu's on pricespy, Your best bet is to upgrade the entire system.

Blam
21-09-2009, 04:18 PM
TradeMe.

All you could do is upgrade to a higher clocked P4..

wratterus
21-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Nah the PCs too old. Only thing is to find a faster P4 second hand, (probably socket 478) but it's probably not worth the hassle. You'll also need to look at the motherboard specs and see what size CPU it can take, a lot of those old dells have some super cruddy mobos in them. If you need more grunt you'll need a whole new PC, those Optiplex cases are near to impossible to upgrade.

wainuitech
21-09-2009, 04:19 PM
One thing you have to look at as well is the socket - just a guess, but when you say its a Intel Pentium 4, its a good chance its a socket 478.

If so you may be hard pressed finding a new one these days - metla's suggestion is prob the better option, unless you can locate the correct CPU. ,

NZDragon
21-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Couldn't see any compatible cpu's on pricespy

... but how can I tell if one's compatible or not? :(

Metla
21-09-2009, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't trust any second hand cpu on trademe.

Speedy Gonzales
21-09-2009, 04:22 PM
If its a 478 pin mobo / cpu, you'll be lucky to find another CPU. Both are pretty much obsolete now. The only place you may find one is trademe / ebay or something. Other than that, you may have to upgrade the mobo and CPU (and maybe ram). If you were in auckland, I could probably put a 2.4 533 fsb cpu in.. I think it still works. I've still got 2 2.4's and 1.5 400 fsb cpu here somewhere

Metla
21-09-2009, 04:25 PM
... but how can I tell if one's compatible or not? :(

first your looking for a Pentium 4,secondly your looking for one with similar architecture to what your currently running. Seeing as I didnt see a single P4 listed on pricespy, then imo its not worth looking any further.

However a quick look on trademe shows dozens of machines similar to yours with 3.0ghz p4 cpu's in them for no reserve. You would be better off just buying the complete box and using it as is if your looking to spend as little money as possible and to cut down on fluffing about.

Gobe1
21-09-2009, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't trust any second hand cpu on trademe.

+1 especially for the price they go for, rediculous

NZDragon
21-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Ok thanks guys... lol I guess I'll just have to start looking for a whole new machine then! :P