PDA

View Full Version : Xnet River plan free data in NZ?

nedkelly
20-09-2009, 12:28 AM
Hey was wondering is this true? I am currently on Xnet's River plan and unlimited cap and my mate said that any local nz data is free. Is this true or not? Emailed their help desk but I dont think I worded my question properly.
I asked "I have broadband with you and I was wondering do uploads in nz to another nz location cost?"
And the reply was "This would be considered National traffic and yes it does count toward your data usage. Download/Upload for both International and National traffic are metered however Local(anything on the Xnet network, not geographical location or Xnet customer to Xnet customer) is not." So then i asked "So my mate who is on xnet would not get charged for accessing my server right? And I would not get charged for uploads to him right?" and got told "...Xnet customer to Xnet customer traffic is metered as it is National traffic..." Showed that to mate and he still said that it is free uploads and downloads in NZ is he right?

Nomad
20-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Not sure national traffic is free. I think Xnet have some files put on that is free thou. Not sure their term thou, one I know is some game demo and movie triailers.

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Umm I dont think so. Only things that dont count are:

Downloads from the MS site / akamai servers (MS / Apple). And Itunes, according to the Xnet site and downloads from gameplanet.co.nz (and using their servers). Altho, I've never uploaded or downloaded (from anyone I know of who lives in NZ). Since none of them are on the net, (or dont own a PC), besides an uncle (only thing I did a few mths ago) was get into his system remotely with teamviewer

Speedy Gonzales
20-09-2009, 02:12 AM
Oops forgot one, email isnt counted either, its counted as local, so are the others from the previous post

ryanjames.powell
20-09-2009, 09:39 AM
I am on this plan and no, you will not get free national data. If you want to be sure, check your traffic accounting at http://www.xnet.co.nz/accounts/index.cgi?func=login and you will see figures for national, international and local. If you're getting free national data, the traffic accountable figure should be equal to just the international data figure. The reason your mate would have said you get free national data is because Xnet's old plans had free national data. They have stopped doing that now that they have introduced the pay per megabyte plans.

Devie Boy
20-09-2009, 05:29 PM
No you don't get free national data, but you do get free local data.

CCF
21-09-2009, 08:24 AM
Local data under xnet is mainly files that you get off their servers, such as emails or gaming servers. Apart from that, not much is really considered as local data.

Speedy Gonzales
21-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Actually windowsupdate / downloads from MS and apple / downloads from Itunes store are counted as local as well. However technet isnt counted (why I dont know, even tho its MS as well). I have a feeling downloads from corel are too. They maybe using an akamai server. I downloaded a 855 mb file, and noticed local went up in Xnet Usage monitor, not international