PDA

View Full Version : Hotmail Virus Emails

Marnie
19-09-2009, 11:36 PM
I am pretty sure this has been covered before, but I cannot find the thread.

My friend has a problem with emails with what would appear to be a suspected virus link being sent out from her hotmail address.
Everyone in her address book seems to be receiving them, fortunately, most have become savvy enough to just delete them.
She said each time she sends an email this is now attaching itself to everything she is sending from that address.

She has run scans and found nothing.

Has anyone had this problem and was it solved without actually setting up a new hotmail address?

Thanks,
Marnie

wainuitech
19-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Part of this is from another forum - saves typing it all out ( lazy eh!!)

It is possible the Hotmail account is being "spoofed"? There would be no actual malware, it is just that a bad guy has picked up the account address and is using it to forward the virus/trojan/worm onto others.
The address could have been listed in someone's address book that received an actual worm, and is now "spoofing" to infect others. This is a very common action done by an infection to continue the spread of its packet.

What you can also try , just to make sure its not on your friends computer somehow - Open the hotmail account on another computer, log into hotmail, send a email to yourself, or someone who you can contact some other way, see if the infection comes through.

If it doesn't then the problem may be on the PC - if it does then they may have no choice but to use another Hotmail / Gmail account.

Edited: Just found This article By Microsoft (http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions/safety/archive/2009/04/29/recent-reports-of-account-hijacks.aspx) :groan:

Marnie
20-09-2009, 12:08 AM
Thanks for that wainui. If you have no objection, I will send your entire post to her, rather than me trying to relay it to her bit by bit.

Cheers,
Marnie

ps It's not lazy, it makes sense :thanks

wainuitech
20-09-2009, 10:30 AM
No Objection what so ever :) - go for it - its a public forum, free for any one to see.

Please post back if anything is discovered (good or Bad) that way it may help others in the future.

Marnie
20-09-2009, 02:39 PM
Good news, problem solved.

She went to her hotmail account, clicked on "Mail" in top row. "Options" on right hand side, scrolled down to "More Options">>> "Customise Your Mail">>>"Personalise Email Signature". It was there she found the 'culprit'. Hi-lighted it and deleted, saved changes. Voila!!!

Cheers and thanks,
Marnie