PDA

View Full Version : operating system not found

Marshmellow
19-09-2009, 06:14 PM
My friends acer laptop, all of the sudden won,t start. It comes up with "operating system not found" It is XP Home. I can press F2 and it has the HDD is blank! Where has it gone? Because it has no drive the XP recovery won't work. Can't find a drive. Just need help to try and get everything off it.
Any help gratefully appreciated!

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Remove it and connect to a desktop

wainuitech
19-09-2009, 06:18 PM
Two things you can try -

Boot the laptop from a Linux Live CD - see if it will locate any data on the drive, if it does then you can plug in an external drive Via USB, and transfer the data to that.

You may also be able to remove the drive from the laptop, slave it to a working PC and see if that will locate the data - transfer if it can. If not you may be able to recover the data with a data recovery program from the slaved PC.

Really depends as to what has happened to the laptops HDD.

What "may" have happened is sectors on the drive could have failed, so while the data is there its not showing.

Marshmellow
19-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Ok but which is the hard drive when I take the covers off?
I haven't got a Linux Live CD.

Blam
19-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Ok but which is the hard drive when I take the covers off?
I haven't got a Linux Live CD.

You should only need to take one of the bottom covers off, and the HDD will be under that, or it may be on the side where you can slide the HDD out..

Get Knoppix here (http://archive.cs.stedwards.edu/knoppix/KNOPPIX_V5.1.1CD-2007-01-04-EN.iso) and burn to a CD using a ISO burning program, such as ImgBurn

Blam

Marshmellow
19-09-2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks. Will try something tomorrow. Have to go watch Rugby now!

gary67
20-09-2009, 10:06 AM
Hmmm if you don't know what the Hard drive is I think you might be overstepping your limits even trying

southern_jas
20-09-2009, 01:11 PM
Exactly my thoughts too.....:horrified