PDA

View Full Version : Screen/Display Question -

SurferJoe46
19-09-2009, 04:46 PM
I did somethin' goofy I guess - but that's just me, huh!

Somehow I changed the screen effects and now my screen paints
SLOWLY going down the screen and not even for an image off the internet.

This happens when I get into XP as the desktop paints itself so slow!

I am having rendering problems I guess.

I have an nVidia GeForce FX 5500 card and I bet something happened to the driver - anyone agree? I need a game plan to correct this if someone has any ideas.

Erayd
19-09-2009, 04:51 PM
Step one: reinstall the driver.

SurferJoe46
19-09-2009, 04:57 PM
This is on that 9-hdd media monster.

I wanted to do that and I just needed a little shove.

Thanks.

Erayd
19-09-2009, 05:08 PM
;)

SurferJoe46
19-09-2009, 05:21 PM
My (defective?) driver was 7.1.7.7, and the new one is supposed to be 7.1.8.4 which my wizard says is older - WOT?

I'll try it anyway and se if things get better. I still have the OEM CD I can pop in, I just hate having my desktop all messed up again!

Rats!

SurferJoe46
19-09-2009, 05:39 PM
No better.

It still paints the screen real-slowly!

SurferJoe46
19-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I tried it and didn't like it so I went back to the 7.1.7.7 and I bet it's the card itself now.

Erayd
19-09-2009, 06:21 PM
Try uninstalling / reinstalling the card to force windows to redetect it - does that solve your issue?

Blam
19-09-2009, 07:27 PM
Alternatively, boot into safe mode and see if it still happens.

If it doesn't, then its definetly a driver problem, if it does, then this could be the card itself or something else...

feersumendjinn
19-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Sounds like the card has reverted to 2D (no 3D acceleration), is it flickering when scrolling?
This can happen if your video acceleration (http://www.deskshare.com/Resources/articles/dmc_turnoffhardwareacceleration.aspx) has been turned down/off, also caused by using/reverting to the OS installed Microsoft driver (which only "does" 2D), or maybe your card's overheating/dying (fan still going?), hope this helps.

SurferJoe46
20-09-2009, 04:52 PM
I tried all three of those ideas and I may have a little more info.

1) The nVidia fan is running good and the card is tight in the slot.
2) I played with the acceleration - but it didn't help.
3) Safe mode changed nothing.

I bet the vid card is pooped out.

Here's what I get to see:

The desktop (for instance) loads and after a few moments the icons show up, they disappear and reappear again, only to repeat once or twice more until it all settles down.

It looks like a dial-up page rendering if you ask me.

I'm gonna try taking the card all the way out and rebooting, reinstalling it and rebooting again.

Should I delete the drivers somewhere in the middle of that process too?

Erayd
20-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Easiest way is to delete the video card from device manager and then reboot. If that doesn't fix it, then you may need to physically remove the card.

You could also try forcing the driver via device manager, if it's using the wrong one.

Cato
20-09-2009, 05:33 PM
You could boot into safemode and get rid of the drivers from Add/Remove Programs.

This is not an uncommon problem, sounds like the memory on the card is wasted. I've had similar happen on Geforce MX400 and a 6600GT.

SJ guess your card is AGP? Guess it will be hard finding a half decent AGP these days.

Blam
20-09-2009, 05:43 PM
3) Safe mode changed nothing.

Safe Mode uses the vga.sys driver, so if it happens even in safe mode then I'm fairly sure it can't be a driver issue.