PDA

View Full Version : terrible internet performance when connected to vpn

Mike
19-09-2009, 01:58 PM
My internet gets really slow and pages sometimes don't load whenever I'm connected to my work's VPN. if I disconnect from the VPN everything works as normal. Any suggestions what might be causing this, and how to fix it so my internet works just as well connected to VPN as disconnected?

Thanks,
Mike.

Mike
19-09-2009, 01:59 PM
PS Running Vista HP SP2 and Firefox.

Mike.

Erayd
19-09-2009, 02:06 PM
You're most likely routing your entire internet connection through the VPN, which means you're limited to whatever performance work sees fit to give you, and the size of work's upload pipe.

You need to set the option to *not* route all traffic via the VPN, and your performance should return to normal.

Another possibility (although far less likely) is that work is pushing a DNS server to you, and that server has crap performance.

Mike
19-09-2009, 02:41 PM
You need to set the option to *not* route all traffic via the VPN, and your performance should return to normal.How? :)

Mike.

CYaBro
19-09-2009, 03:06 PM
This is how you do it in XP, may not be quite the same in Vista???

Edit your VPN connection and go to the Networking tab and double-click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click Advanced and UN-check the box there that says 'Use default gateway on remote network'.

Mike
19-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Edit your VPN connection and go to the Networking tab and double-click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) then click Advanced and UN-check the box there that says 'Use default gateway on remote network'.ah... already was unchecked :(

Mike.

somebody
19-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Can you open a command prompt window, type "route print" and hit enter. Then copy/paste the results here.

Erayd
19-09-2009, 03:58 PM
Judging by the above, am I correct in assuming you're using XP's built-in PPTP client?

Any chance you could post your system routing table both while connected and disconnected from the VPN?

The output from 'ipconfig -all' in both cases would also be useful.

Edit: looks like Somebody beat me to it with the route information request :p.

Chilling_Silence
21-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Try using OpenDNS ;)

nmercer
23-09-2009, 06:51 PM
check that your work is OK with you doing this, you potentially open your work network up to security threats by split tunneling or split routing like you're doing here.

Cheers
Nathan