PDA

View Full Version : AMD CPU Upgrade

Metla
19-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Looking at this page

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M2V.html

Seems the best cpu my board can run is a 6400 x2? Would that be correct I'm unfamilier with some of the cpus on that list, such as the Opterons and the BE-2350 etc etc.

Supposing the 6400 is the best I can run would it be a worthwhile upgarde over a 4600?

Actually, scratch that, The price difference is too large, If I were to fit a 6000 would it be a worthwhile upgrade?

qazwsxokmijn
19-09-2009, 02:19 PM
You probably won't feel the difference doing everyday things. But if you are gaming or doing something like encoding video work etc then you will feel it a bit faster.

Metla
19-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Yeah, That goes without saying though, Any performance increase above a certain point wont be noticed untill you attempt a task that maxes out the capabilities of the system. (or install bloat like Vista which cripples the performance of everything;))

Just fitted a new video card (stunning) figured I'd look into what cpu this board can take.

Hoping to hear from someone that done a similar upgrade and whether the increase was worthwhile.

pctek
19-09-2009, 03:41 PM
From Toms Hardware:

Thus, the conclusion here is pretty simple. When gaming is your top priority, buy “just enough” CPU and reallocate the rest of your budget toward graphics. In one test after another, we saw situations where a single ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 285 wasn’t powerful enough to show some sort of benefit to one host processor or another. Only after adding a second card in CrossFire or SLI do you start seeing some benefit to a quicker CPU. And those are $400 graphics cards. Unless you’re planning on spending twice that on an upgrade, the point at which you’ll see GPU performance limit frame rates will come even sooner—long before integrated PCI Express or x8 links play any sort of role.

Gaming:
GPU, GPU, GPU then CPU.
However if you have upgraded the GPU to the best you can afford, then I would look at the CPU.
I did it a while back now. I had an AMD, ditched it and got an E8500.
Meant I had to change the board too but I got a refurbished one via my supplier.

Metla
19-09-2009, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I think Toms hardware are a pack of dicks, A faster CPU is going to help in more ways then just FPS, Load times is a great example.

They should match up some mid-range video cards with a bunch of midrange cpu's and see how the performance differs. Get the system to struggle, retain the same video card and then bung in a much faster cpu.

Testing high end gear against high end gear and measuring in the near immeasurable and unperceivable difference in performance is a bit of a joke.