PDA

View Full Version : How to........

smurf
19-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Given that the level of computer expertise is minimal...... and yet knowing that if you are going to do a clean reinstall of Windows XP you will need to download and reinstall drivers, is there any programme that will scan the computer and provide a list of drivers all ready loaded? Other wise how does a computer newbie find out. Secondly, where can the correct drivers be downloaded from ie is there a central site? and once downloaded and saved to say, a CD/DVD, how should they be uploaded (ie how do you go about it)to the reinstalled XP?
:thanks

wainuitech
19-09-2009, 10:23 AM
If you have a name brand PC - you can go to the manufactures web site, locate the model and download any drivers they have.

If its a Built up, open the side of the case, look at the motherboard,graphic card ( if it has one) look for the model numbers then once again, go to the manufactures site and download.

OR you can download Drivermax (http://www.innovative-sol.com/drivermax/) Can t remember if its free for a month,or totally free, but it will work long enough to get your drivers. install it on teh current working PC you are going to format, extract the drivers - it saves to a folder, burn or copy that folder onto a CD or USB drive.

once the New install is done, load drivermax on that, tell it to load the drivers back. OR on the new install, right click My Computer / properties/ Hardware Tab / device manager / Right click any ? and point it to the saved driver files to install.

The biggest downfall with DriverMax is if any drivers are damaged or corrupted from the original you may end up installing them again.

smurf
19-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Thanks Wainuitech...I appreciate your time and advice :)

beeswax34
19-09-2009, 12:43 PM
There's also this tool but I've never tried it:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/drvback/

smurf
19-09-2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks beeswax...much appreciated:)

CliveM
19-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Driver Magician does what you want

Blam
19-09-2009, 06:34 PM
+1 For DriverBackup!, use it on a weekly basis and has never failed me yet:)

smurf
20-09-2009, 11:37 AM
Thanks Clive and Blam6.

Blam, looking at the zip file it appears to be Italian. How do you get the English version?

feersumendjinn
20-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Look further down the Sourceforge page, under Project Feed, is something about Translation Sheets, perhaps this is what you need (don't know, haven't used).

gary67
20-09-2009, 01:36 PM
I couldn't work out how to change the language so ran it in Italian and was able to make it work fine, I don't speak that language but the buttons were obvious

Blam
20-09-2009, 01:38 PM
I couldn't work out how to change the language so ran it in Italian and was able to make it work fine, I don't speak that language but the buttons were obvious

Yea, thats what I did:p