PDA

View Full Version : Audio CDs make computer freeze

17-07-2001, 12:37 PM
Trying to play audio (music) CDs makes my computer freeze - I have to hard reboot as I cannot even do Ctrl-Alt-Del and End Task. I have checked the connection between the CD audio cable and the audio line out, rotated each plug and then tested all my CD Players in turn to no effect. I have no other sound or video problems on the Internet or with any other programmes. My CD-ROM drive otherwise appears to be working perfectly and has passed all tests that I have run to check it. Is this something I should be able to rectify myself, or should I return the CPU to my supplier as faulty?
Processor: IBM/Cyrix 6x86MX,242Mhz,62MbRAM,Sound Card SB16 Audio Device/External MIDI Mpu401,OS is MSN Windows 98.

17-07-2001, 01:59 PM
Hi Rosemary,Are you trying to play a backup(copied) music disc? Some cd-roms are fussy with backup discs,if so try an original disc.
cheers steve

17-07-2001, 05:37 PM
Hi Steve, thanks for quick reply! No, I have been trying original commercial disks only. My 2 yr old computer has never played them, has always frozen. I have had 2 CD-ROM drives (44x and 50x) and neither has ever played them! Ros