PDA

View Full Version : Monitor just went black - what to try?

utopian201
18-09-2009, 12:01 AM
I have an LCD monitor which just went black. The power light also went off too (its normally green when powered on and amber when in suspend mode/no signal). I've tried a different power cable as well as a different power outlet. Is there anything else I should try before calling on the warranty?

I bought it on the 15th of September, it went black today on the 17th of September, so it lasted just over 1 year. Luckily it has a 3 year warranty.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 12:34 AM
I have an LCD monitor which just went black. The power light also went off too (its normally green when powered on and amber when in suspend mode/no signal). I've tried a different power cable as well as a different power outlet. Is there anything else I should try before calling on the warranty?

I bought it on the 15th of September, it went black today on the 17th of September, so it lasted just over 1 year. Luckily it has a 3 year warranty.

A) You could try attaching it to another PC just to see if it responds differently on that.
and
B) If your monitor producer got a "hot-line" start with calling them - even though you know that the monitor is defect , that way you will have followed every procedure and tried everything before claiming a repair - and thus being "on the safe side"....

GameJunkie
18-09-2009, 10:49 AM
just go back and get a replacement

utopian201
18-09-2009, 11:30 AM
Cool thanks. Do I bring it back to the seller/agent (the laptop company) or HP directly?

wratterus
18-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Take it back to where you bought it.

utopian201
21-09-2009, 11:49 AM
I decided to talk to HP directly since I figured that would be what the seller would do anyway. I'd just like to note that they are sending me a new unit overnight and will be here tomorrow.

It is an advanced exchange, so all I have to do is put my broken monitor in the same box and send it back postage free. I'd say thats pretty good service.

SolMiester
21-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Could be the video output, not the LCD panel......do you have onboard video or a separate card on the PC?

the_bogan
21-09-2009, 02:08 PM
If that was the case, Sol, wouldn't the power light on the monitor still light up (orange/red or whatever)?

SolMiester
21-09-2009, 02:24 PM
If that was the case, Sol, wouldn't the power light on the monitor still light up (orange/red or whatever)?

No, if the monitor doesnt receive a signal, it goes into standby mode with orange light..

linw
21-09-2009, 02:25 PM
Good on HP. Let's know the result.

inphinity
21-09-2009, 02:53 PM
No, if the monitor doesnt receive a signal, it goes into standby mode with orange light..

My reading of the OP was that the power light went "off", not "into standby", and if that is the case, the monitor is the issue.

Guess we will know when the new monitor works - or doesn't :)

SolMiester
21-09-2009, 02:59 PM
My reading of the OP was that the power light went "off", not "into standby", and if that is the case, the monitor is the issue.

Guess we will know when the new monitor works - or doesn't :)

Ah yes, a 2nd reading and you are correct.....no light at all....doh! I hate Mondays!

the_bogan
21-09-2009, 03:13 PM
Ah yes, a 2nd reading and you are correct.....no light at all....doh! I hate Mondays!

At least you realise it's Monday.... lol. Time is a blur to me. :p

wratterus
21-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Mondays = :waughh:

They ought to be banned. :o