PDA

View Full Version : PCMCIA or USB

nedkelly
17-09-2009, 08:52 PM
Hey my parents have a laptop that they got given to them by their work for free and they want to get wireless internet connectivity on it. So I was wondering what is better to use a PCMCIA card or a USB stick?

John H
17-09-2009, 09:08 PM
I may be out of date, but I originally used PCMCIA in a laptop, and found that it was unstable. The card seemed to get really hot; not sure if that was the cause of the instability.

I have had good results with a USB stick. Not sure if my experience is representative though.

The advantages of PCMCIA are that it is out of sight out of mind - the USB sticks out, and gets easily knocked. In my case it meant that I couldn't get both the WIFI USB stick and the USB stick for my wireless mouse into the laptop at the same time because the USB outlets were too close together.

On balance I would stick with the USB, but it was darned inconvenient because of the mouse thing (I hate trackpads, hence the mouse).

wainuitech
17-09-2009, 10:32 PM
My old 6 year Acer uses a PCMCIA card, and it works perfectly.It was used last night for around 2 1/2 hours and only got slightly warm.

I did try a USB at a mates place once when I left the PCMCIA behind just over a year ago - and it was utter crap, always disconnecting.

Blam
17-09-2009, 11:12 PM
Both are fine. I prefer USB, but some state PCMIA is more stable. I don't agree, but it all comes down to which you prefer..

beeswax34
18-09-2009, 02:07 AM
PCMCIA is just more unobtrusive and easier to use.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 02:53 AM
Buy a reasonably quality USB network adaptor and it ought not give you any problems and you will leave/have the "PCMCIA" slot free for future use where you might accidently not be able to use USB (I don't know what you, over time, can dig up over in N.Z. of "weird" stuff to put into the PCMCIA slot ;) . )

With respect to "wireless internet connectivity" please remember that the old WEP encryption is broken and to those that wants in far too easy to crack (down to 3 seconds (http://news.softpedia.com/news/WEP-Security-No-Longer-Secure-51337.shtml) if using the right equipment and software)
So if running "wireless internet connectivity" one should make sure to use hardware (router + netcards) that uses/supports newer encryption standards such as WPA2 encryption (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WPA2#WPA2) schemes....