PDA

View Full Version : Dud sata port?

REDALERT3COMMANDO
17-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Hi I have recently installed my 1tb hdd and done a clean install of windows. I want to connect my old 320gb hdd as secondary so I bought a sata data cable from dick smith. I put the drive in the second slot and plugged in power and sata cable. Plugged the other end of the sata cable into the motherboard remaining sata connector closed case and booted up. The 320gb hdd wasn't there. Opened again swapped 320gb port on motherboard for my dvd burners one. (I have a dvd reader and burner so no I don't have 2 available). I booted again this time the 320gb hdd was there but not my dvd burner :eek: So can anyone please tell me how to fix this. Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2009, 07:02 PM
So whats the old hdd?? IDE or SATA? SATA doesnt have secondary or primary Only Master. I would check what SATA ports are for what. Some SATA ports are only for hdds and some are for cd's/dvd's

gary67
17-09-2009, 07:03 PM
When you did the swap did you connect the optical drive to the suspect SATA port as a check?

REDALERT3COMMANDO
17-09-2009, 07:24 PM
No I just connected the sata 320 to the suspect. I then changed it to the dvd drive. Neither respond on this sata port. Two of the sata ports are color coded. My burner was plugged into a non color coded one but now it has the hdd connected.