PDA

View Full Version : Network sharing

bk T
17-09-2009, 11:55 AM
Just bought an external HDD and plugged into my notebook (XP Media Centre) which is connected (wireless) to my home network. My desktop PC (Vista Ultimate) is also connected to the same Linksys router. We have no problem in Internet, printer and file sharing between the notebook and desktop.

When I share this newly connected external HDD - F: , it looks fine initially, I can 'see' this newly connected F: from my desktop PC, but I can't access the file in this drive with the following error:

"The drive is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission"

Where and how can I set the access permission for this drive?

manu
17-09-2009, 01:26 PM
I am no expert but you might wish to think about with thses sorts of problems:

Which user on the machine 'owns' the Ext HDD/device/folder and which group of computers on the network does it belong to?
(eg the ubiquitous MS "Workgroup" or sometimes for HP machines "mshome" )

Also, what settings has that user made for the device/folder?

If the current user of a machine doesn't "own" the device then they aren't allowed to mess with its critical parameters like sharing.
Similarly if computer X is in the "Workgroup" group then it doesn't automatically get to see all the folders/drives the other computer Z in the "mshome' group for example but it still should show the fact that group "mshome" exists.
(Things are 99 times worse for people having "Domains" - steer clear of these if you are non-business networking etc)

The fact that you have wireless networing system shouldn't matter at all - only if it is a the wasp's nipples sort of router which can be tweaked to restrict this/that and the other groups/networks/web stuff. These things are set to deny everything from startup!

In XP there is a "security' tab when you |Right click folder/drive/device|.
In there you can be very selective about who can do what with your device/folder.
The most open approach (ie nil security) is have settings to share the device with "everyone" and allow them "full access".
Note that the 'everyone" group is, I think, ONLY everyone in that network grouping, not everyone anywhere who happens to have a wire or (wireless) link to the router.
Trust this gives you some clues.

Speedy Gonzales
17-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Sounds like it isnt formatted, or you need to take ownership (http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67717-take-ownership-file.html) of the hdd

FIAT LUX
17-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Snip
We have no problem in Internet, printer and file sharing between the notebook and desktop.

When I share this newly connected external HDD - F: , it looks fine initially, I can 'see' this newly connected F: from my desktop PC, but I can't access the file in this drive with the following error:

"The drive is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission"

Where and how can I set the access permission for this drive?

You write that you can use "file sharing between the notebook and desktop" .
Don't know if you use this expression losely or you actually have shared folders already (?)
But assuming that you can do then one would also wonder why you can not get things to work.
Have you right-clicked the USB drive when plugged-in and chosen "Sharing and security" and set permissions correctly ?
Please elaborate on the actions you have taken and the problem you have.

Chilling_Silence
17-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Fiat Lux: It's formatted NTFS -- Its the file-system permissions blocking it, not the windows network share permissions

Manu: Right on the money there I'd say mate! :)

bk T
17-09-2009, 02:06 PM
OK. This notebook has 3 user accounts: Administrator, myself, and my daughter. Those files were created by my daughter. Apparently, she could not create the sharing for this drive and we have to log in to Administrator account to create the share.

Somehow, as I mentioned earlier, we could see the shared drive from the desktop vista machine but couldn't access those files in it. Just after the access error message, there's another message saying:

"Not enough server storage is available to process this command"

We have no sharing problems with other partition D: in this notebook. We could transfer files to and fro without any issues. Sharing of files used to be pretty straight-forward but definitely not for this external drive.

I have turned OFF simple file sharing.

FIAT LUX
17-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Try google the expression :
vista shared drive "Not enough server storage is available to process this command" (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=vista+shared+drive+%22Not+enough+server+storage+ is+available+to+process+this+command%22&btnG=Google-search&meta=&aq=null&oq=)
(including the quotes)

It seems to have been seen before a lot.

examples....

http://winhlp.com/node/40

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/109430-not-enough-server-storage-available-process-command-error.html

Blam
17-09-2009, 03:00 PM
OK. This notebook has 3 user accounts: Administrator, myself, and my daughter. Those files were created by my daughter. Apparently, she could not create the sharing for this drive and we have to log in to Administrator account to create the share.

Somehow, as I mentioned earlier, we could see the shared drive from the desktop vista machine but couldn't access those files in it. Just after the access error message, there's another message saying:

"Not enough server storage is available to process this command"

We have no sharing problems with other partition D: in this notebook. We could transfer files to and fro without any issues. Sharing of files used to be pretty straight-forward but definitely not for this external drive.

I have turned OFF simple file sharing.

Have you following Manu's instructions yet?