PDA

View Full Version : background programs

17-07-2001, 10:26 AM
CorelDraw10 installation produced hundreds of errors (diagnosed by Norton Utilities) and PhotoPaint 10 would not create any effects. Happened on several machines. Solution was to eliminate all background programs except explorer and systray via the 3 finger salute.... then installation was fine. I suspect a particular screensaver recommended by PC Magazine in May but do not know how to prove it without the hassles of reinstalling the massive CD10. I think it may leave a hook running even after I exited from it. MSCONFIG does
not show 'AHQtb', which appears with the 3 finger salute.... I don't know what installed that one, nor if it is in fact the culprit. Of course there are others I'm not sure about, and MSCONFIG shows several repeated startup programs (I have disabled one of each pair, assumning that procedure is OK).
My question is whether there are any other means than trial and error of determining the source of the background programs; installation problems for other programs may conflict in the future.

17-07-2001, 12:30 PM
Hi Doug

ahqtb are controls for Creative sound card a list of other start up programs can be found at http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Printerdesktop.htm

17-07-2001, 12:42 PM
the ahqtb is your audioHQ that is install with your creative soundblaster. also cheak for a cd_load.exe. if you dont use audioHQ much then remove it from start up.
i would suggest a run through with adaware5.5.

a few programs require dual startups....i can't remember the web page on it......can someone please post it.

18-07-2001, 02:12 PM
Many thanks Lazarus - and Tweak'e (couldn't find cd_load.exe by the way)for your answers & advice. A usful site that printerdesktop! I also now see that AHQtb in MSCONFIG - dunno' how I missed it - silly to specify it. So it must be something else that interfered; I may never know since I don't want to reinstall CD10 6 times! Tweak'e said there may be some programs that need dual loading - is Nprotect amongst them (not on printerdesktop either)? Or 'LoadPowerProfile'?

Again thanks!