PDA

View Full Version : Blue screen, IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

smurfsahoy
16-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Hi, so I found some old threads that address this error, but all of the solutions seem to be different, or related to very specific drivers, etc., so it seems like I should make my own thread.

I'm getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and I'm also getting a STOP error which reads:
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x017F0304, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)

The screen sometimes disappears in about 2 seconds, and sometimes sits there "dumping memory" for awhile. It happens typically right around when the login screen comes up for windows. I AM able to start safe mode, but I am NOT able to start any other way - this is not intermittent; it happens on every single non-safe boot.

As far as I can tell, I don't even have any nvidia drivers (or can't find them), which seemed to be many people's problem. I have not recently installed any hardware or software, either. It first happened while I was just carrying my laptop down a hallway... I think I might have tried to open a .mov file with windows media player - and that may have been the first time I've run wmp since this laptop was reformatted. That may be related?

System specs:
Thinkpad T42
Intel Pentium M processor 1.70GHz
598 MHz
512 MB RAM
Windows XP Pro

This is my backup old laptop while I wait for a new power cord on my other one to arrive, so I'm a bit desperate :) Thanks so much for any help!

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Boot into safe mode again, right my on my computer on the desktop / properties. Go to advanced / startup and recovery / settings. Untick automatically restart. Then OK, OK. Then reboot. Then wait for it to crash again. See if it shows the name of a file / driver. If it does, tell us the name of the file / driver. Umm WMP AFAIK doesnt load mov files. You need something like quicktime / quicktime alternative.

Blam
16-09-2009, 11:44 AM
In safe mode go run>eventvwr and look for errors that may be related to the BSOD, then paste the event info here.

You could also try a system restore if you think a recent change caused the issue.

Blam

smurfsahoy
16-09-2009, 12:53 PM
It's working now. I unchecked the "automatically restart" and have not gotten a crash yet.

Looking at the event log, I have nothing about BSOD. The only events that precede the blue screen-ness had to do with Tcpip and Dhcp stuff: my network adapter turning on and off a lot.

With every subsequent cycle of blue screen, the following events were logged:
1) A couple of eventlog events saying the eventlog is up and running. 6009 and 6005
2) A "Redbook" event saying that this drive has not been shown to support digital audio playback. Event ID 10
3) Tcpip says my network adapter disconnects, Event ID 4202
4) A notification that a memory dump was saved, at a memory location. Event ID 1001

Same sequence over and over. I don't know what that means. Should I worry about this further, or just go on my merry way?

Thanks again! You seem to have fixed it for now :D

Blam
16-09-2009, 01:24 PM
It's working now. I unchecked the "automatically restart" and have not gotten a crash yet.

I very much doubt that fixed it.

pctek
16-09-2009, 01:35 PM
I'm getting IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and I'm also getting a STOP error which reads:
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x017F0304, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804D9B64)

As far as I can tell, I don't even have any nvidia drivers (or can't find them), which seemed to be many people's problem.

0x0000000A: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

Same error.

It's not Nvidia - or not necessarily. IT's ANY driver.
90% of the time it's a driver error - whichever driver.

It may also be faulty RAM, but this is less common.

snoopy
16-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Try this program

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html

it may show you what is causing the problem.