PDA

View Full Version : sudo apt-get clean

SurferJoe46
16-09-2009, 03:29 AM
OK.

I have 9.04 running all well and good and it STILL says that there's not enough room for all the important security updates - which I am kinda amazed that an L-based system even needs, but going on -

...it ALSO suggests that I run "sudo apt-get clean" to free up some space on "/", whatever that is.

It needs an additional 307M free space to install the updates, and click them off as I may, I cannot get but a few of them in at the moment.

NOW - are these "Updates" just installation packages like ".exe" in Windows and can be deleted once they are installed or do these have to always exist to actually make the updates run from this point on???

I prolly have it wrong, but I feel that the "/" is a sectioned-off area on the< hdd> so I wonder if I can use the "RECOVERY" boot mode and enter "sudo apt-get clean" in it and make it clean out the "/" area?

Can I increase the footprint of the "/" area once 9.04 is installed or do I need to re-partition and re-install it all over again?

Huh? :thanks

The biggest hard part of Ubuntu (and also other L-based OSs) is that the names of things are not intuitive for people like me. Don't get me wrong - I LIKE UBUNTU - it's just, er - unfriendly.

kjaada
16-09-2009, 04:48 AM
Updates take full care of themselves and clean up anything that is not needed anymore,
You can "grow the partition" once 9.04 is installed.Use partition manager.
It is 4.47am here in NZ and it looks like u and I are the only 2 in the world that are up.

SurferJoe46
16-09-2009, 05:14 AM
It's after 10AM here, Tuesday.

Gonna look at that c-line.

kjaada
16-09-2009, 05:26 AM
You can also go:
System,Administration,Computer Janitor,which will clean out junk etc once 9.04 is working.

SurferJoe46
16-09-2009, 05:38 AM
I am looking at Disc Usage Monitor in a circle chart and "/" is at 100%.

It only has 2-gig assigned to it, so where here can I do an expansion of the "/" area?

SurferJoe46
16-09-2009, 05:47 AM
How do I get to the Partition Manager anyway???

gary67
16-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Under administrator tools its the third from the left at the top option

SurferJoe46
16-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Under administrator tools its the third from the left at the top option

The third from the left is:

SYSTEM

and the drop-downs give me:

PREFERENCES
ADMINISTRATION
etc....

and clicking ADMINISTRATION I get:

AUTHORIZATIONS
COMPUTER JANITOR
HARDWARE DRIVERS
LANGUAGE SUPPORT
LOG FILE VIEWER
LOGIN WINDOW
NETWORK TOOLS
PRINTING
SERVICES
SOFTWARE SOURCES
SYNAPTIC PACKAGE MANAGER
SYSTEM MONITOR
SYSTEM TESTING
TIME and DATE
UPDATE MANAGER
USB STARTUP DISC CREATOR
USERS and GROUPS

kjaada
16-09-2009, 07:03 AM
Administrator tools does not appear in the home edition.
Go to yr packet manager and install Gparted and it will then show up as
"partition editor" in System,Administration.

MushHead
16-09-2009, 08:18 AM
Joe,

In Linux, "/" is the root directory of everything. Rather than having C:, D:, etc, all partitions have to be mounted onto a folder off the root somewhere. In your case, your HD partition appears to be the only one. You can see that in your Disk Usage Monitor, or type "df -h" ("disk free", with human-readable numbers) from the command line. That will show you which filesystem (disk partitions, remote shares plus special system structures) is mounted to points in your directory tree. In that listing, your partitions will show up as filesystem "/dev/hda1" or similar.

You were a bit optimistic allocating just 2GB for a full GUI installation - I have a quite minimal one (ubuntu 8.04) in a VM that takes up 2.5G. Try the Janitor option & see if you can free some space, but a partition resize would be a better long-term option if you want to play around with Linux more.