PDA

View Full Version : SD Card Puzzle

Roscoe
15-09-2009, 10:50 PM
My friend showed me that there was 173 pics on her camera's SD card. With the card in the camera all the pics can be seen.

She wanted to copy the pics to her HD. Should be simple enough. Access the SD card, copy and paste. What could be easier?

Unfortunately, when she inserts the card her laptop shows that the card is there but she cannot see, and therefore cannot access, any of the files.

When I put the card in my laptop I can see that there are indeed 173 jpgs.

There is no doubt that the files are there but the puzzle is why these files cannot be seen on her laptop.

I copied the files off and formatted the card, put the files back, but nothing has changed.

I assume that because I can see and access the files on the camera and on my laptop, but not her laptop, that there is some incorrect setting on her laptop that denies any access to those files. Any ideas?

Blam
15-09-2009, 10:54 PM
Hmmm...What OS does her laptop run?

Roscoe
15-09-2009, 10:58 PM
Vista.

Blam
15-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Possibly the files are hidden? Try turning "Show hidden files" in folder options on..

Roscoe
15-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Perhaps. But they are only possibly hidden on her laptop. They can be seen on my laptop and the camera. I imagine that if the files were hidden then you would not see them on either laptop, would you?

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2009, 11:08 PM
Is the memory card an SDHC memory card?? If it is that could be why. Her reader cant read high capacity cards. How big is the card?

Roscoe
15-09-2009, 11:13 PM
The card is 2 GB. That does not sound very high capacity. Perhaps it is?

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Does it say SDHC on it?

Roscoe
15-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Don't have the card with me. I will have to ask but she will be in her bed by now, so I will ask in the morning.

At least you have given me a possible explanation, thanks.

I assume that if her reader cannot read SDHC cards then there is no way around it?

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2009, 11:23 PM
I assume that if her reader cannot read SDHC cards then there is no way around it?

There is. She'll have to replace it with a SDHC card reader, if they exist (if she wants an internal one). Umm, did you format it in FAT? External ones MAY exist. I know internal ones exist for desktops, I've got one here (an Apacer AE101)

Roscoe
15-09-2009, 11:30 PM
Don't know. I just used the same format that you would use for any other drive.

It is not so much a problem, but a puzzle. I just wondered why I could not see the card on her laptop. I do not think that her laptop is very old, but perhaps the age does not make a difference?

Thanks for your comments, Speedy, sir. I shall ask her on the morrow. Meantime, it's time for my bed.

Thanks and good night.

Speedy Gonzales
15-09-2009, 11:32 PM
No probs, Or if the memory card is SDHC dont use SDHC cards, since obviously it cant read them

linw
16-09-2009, 10:12 AM
SDHC start at 4GB so that isn't the problem.

Like Roscoe says, could be hidden? Try Folder Options, Show hidden files. Worth a try.

Agent_24
16-09-2009, 04:38 PM
A 2GB card is not SDHC.

It should run on just about anything that can read SD cards.

The fact that the card shows up but seems empty does seem to suggest that the files are hidden and not showing up in Vista...

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Well if the files were system files then they maybe hidden. But theyre not theyre jpgs / pics. Which wouldnt be hidden, it wouldnt matter if show hidden / system files is disabled or enabled. I've just tested it here in vista. Copied a pic to a card, taken it out then put it back in. The pic appears. Only other thing to try, put it back in whatever sees the pics, right mouse on the pics and see if the hidden attribute is ticked (which I doubt it is). Since one PC can see them, but not the other. Try another card. If the laptop cant see that, the reader is probably dead / stuffed

inphinity
16-09-2009, 05:41 PM
When it shows up, view the properties of the drive, does it show the correct values for free / used space?
Do you have another SD card to try? If it isn't something simple like Hidden files, I'm thinking card reader issue - either hardware or drivers.

SurferJoe46
17-09-2009, 04:09 AM
Perhaps an easier work-around is this:

Insert your SD card and when the pop ups - if they even appear - are all exited,

---- then go to My Computer>>right click>> Manage>>Disk Management and find the SD card which should USUALLY be the topmost one listed in the data window - then ------

Right click on it>>Explore>> and continue drilling down into the files on the card with Right Clicks until you don't get the Explore option any more -

---- and then right click in a BLANK AREA in the data window anywhere and VIEW>>Thumbnails.

If the pictures exist, you're seeing them now.

Cicero
17-09-2009, 10:21 AM
My old Canon won't recognise a 4gig SDhc card,so I would have thought if camera recognise card,all would be well.
We just goes to show.

SurferJoe46
18-09-2009, 07:44 AM
My old Canon won't recognise a 4gig SDhc card,so I would have thought if camera recognise card,all would be well.
We just goes to show.

How old is this canon and what caliber is it?

Cicero
18-09-2009, 10:43 AM
How old is this canon and what caliber is it?

Circa 6

A430.

4 mega.

Misty
18-09-2009, 06:24 PM
Hi Roscoe
What software came with your friend's camera ? - usually (or invariably) software comes with a digital camera. I have had Canon and Panasonic Lumix and now Nikon. Each has had a software program with it. Each prompts to offer to download even when using an SD card (from my memory). Currently I use Photoshop Elements, which certainly does. Can't see any mention or suggestion of software. May not help ...but may be a clue ?
Misty :2cents:

Sweep
18-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Usually cameras come with a USB cable. Connect the camera to the laptop via USB and the camera should show up as a removable drive. Hopefully it will show the pictures this way. If so then copy them.

You may have to install a twain driver with some cameras though.