PDA

View Full Version : Bus unions

somebody
15-09-2009, 05:25 PM
It seems that while everyone else is facing pay freezes or redundancy, the bus drivers' union are still demanding higher pay increases. How many people out there would turn down a 10.4% pay rise (over 3 years) in the current economic climate?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10597479

gary67
15-09-2009, 06:24 PM
I would accept it but then Prefect would be the one to ask since he runs a bus company that rargets cyclists as worldwide pests to be hit and run down

R2x1
15-09-2009, 07:13 PM
Sounds fair enough to me ;)

paulw
15-09-2009, 08:20 PM
It seems that while everyone else is facing pay freezes or redundancy, the bus drivers' union are still demanding higher pay increases. How many people out there would turn down a 10.4% pay rise (over 3 years) in the current economic climate?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10597479

When you consider how the wages and conditions were slashed when Stagecoach took over I support these guys. The wages are so low now that only immigrants from the 3rd world will come and drive them .. hence the reason that Samoa changed to left side driving..

Sweep
15-09-2009, 08:25 PM
Some fourteen years ago I started work for a company at $11.00 per hour.
When I retired in Dec 2008 I was still working for the same company at $15.50 per hour.
You signed the contract or you did not have a job.

gary67
15-09-2009, 08:59 PM
What was your job Sweep if you don't mind me asking, that almost sounds like Nelson wages although we get paid more when the sun doesn't shine just ask Wratty

Sweep
15-09-2009, 11:10 PM
What was your job Sweep if you don't mind me asking, that almost sounds like Nelson wages although we get paid more when the sun doesn't shine just ask Wratty

Truck driver. On road and off road too. I don't mind you asking BTW.
Harvesting maize at that time.

I am the guy driving the Semi in this picture taken by one of my mates.
My main point was that there was not a major increase over the years percentagewise. We didn't get wet weather money either but I asked for rain gear last year and got free wet weather gear and the boss did not ask me to hand it back which was a plus I guess.

prefect
16-09-2009, 08:48 AM
I would accept it but then Prefect would be the one to ask since he runs a bus company that rargets cyclists as worldwide pests to be hit and run down
Yes hit and run down cyclists, but I do draw the line at reversing back over them.
I do have some standards :D

PaulD
16-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I do have some standards :D

You'd have to pay too much for a driver that could reverse :p

Cicero
16-09-2009, 10:28 AM

My main point was that there was not a major increase over the years percentagewise. We didn't get wet weather money either but I asked for rain gear last year and got free wet weather gear and the boss did not ask me to hand it back which was a plus I guess.

Very butch!

prefect
16-09-2009, 10:36 AM

Looks like sweep is a good ol kiwi bloke

Sweep
16-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Looks like sweep is a good ol kiwi bloke

Correct but really you should not have put the word "good" in there!

And any driver worth his salt would know that there are two reverse gears in an Eaton Fuller or Road Ranger box.