PDA

View Full Version : Amazingly Annoying Harddrive

REDALERT3COMMANDO
14-09-2009, 07:04 PM
Hi my western digital elements portable has stuffed up. I am mad (as you can expect when your hdd stops working). I plugged the hdd into the computer just recently the light on the side stayed on for only a few seconds then went out. While the light was on it said windows was searching for a driver but it never had enough time and it said the device was unplugged. Obviously this was unusual because the driver was already installed by windows :illogical . Here is a picture of it so you know which one im talking about it is the 160gb model. http://i26.tinypic.com/352k96w.jpg I don't to pay to fix this but I need the important game backup of command and conquer 3 kanes wrath (my disk has a crack in the middle) :horrified , and many other important files. So I would really appreciate help here I am upgrading to a new 1tb internal so I need this to back up files. Cheers for any help looking forward to getting this fixed!

Speedy Gonzales
14-09-2009, 07:07 PM
Remove the hdd, and connect it to a desktop, see what happens. Make sure its jumpered if its IDE

REDALERT3COMMANDO
14-09-2009, 07:29 PM
Remove the hdd, and connect it to a desktop, see what happens. Make sure its jumpered if its IDE

Don't quite understand that, I will try this after I have made sure about the warranty and with other people I know before trying this. Thanks anyway!

CYaBro
14-09-2009, 07:35 PM
Perhaps your USB port is not giving enough power to the USB drive?
Can you get hold of a USB cable with two USB connectors on it to try?

Like this:
http://www.cdlnz.com/index.html?do=viewproduct&code=C-U2AY-MB&ID=1913016

Speedy Gonzales
14-09-2009, 07:43 PM
And dont use a USB hub, if youre plugging this into one

Blam
14-09-2009, 09:33 PM
The external HD case is probably faulty.

Have seen this happen a few times.

pctek
14-09-2009, 10:22 PM
my western digital elements portable has stuffed up.
t I need the important game backup of command and conquer 3 kanes wrath (my disk has a crack in the middle)

If the game is already installed onto your PC, zip the folder and save that to backup.

As for the portable. Take the actual drive out of its enclosure. Then connect it to your PC internally via a sata port. See if you can read the data on it. If so, then the drive is fine and the enclosure is dead.

If not, drive snuffed it too.

REDALERT3COMMANDO
15-09-2009, 08:41 PM
Hmm well I don't think there is anything wrong with my usb power, (plugging it into my apple laptop resulted in the light fading and failure to spin up when it was working) I will plug it in when I work out how to open the enclosure and when I have some time.