PDA

View Full Version : Component stereo sys maybe for the PC.

Nomad
13-09-2009, 05:01 PM
Hi, I just had a casual browse at the larger appliance stores in the w'end.

I got my first stereo in 1998 and not knowing anything better, I got a Sony MiniDisc micro system for a thousand bucks. :dogeye:

I also read a older thread here and you guys said the Logitech 5.1 are pretty good, they are now $150 instead, not bad. I got my first PC this year January and not yet got my speakers. Before that I had laptops - study and then no money and had other priorities since I just use MS Office, web and office, not a gamer and not a video/music editor.

Re: the component stereos.

1 - these are not computer shielded does it matter?
2 - the receivers are AV, 1080 video scaling. What is this? I would thought the stereo is just the sound 5.1 for example and the DVD or BlueRay is the video part.

3 - how much power would you recommend for each of the speakers?
4 - there are some $600 units - receivers and a few speakers how are they like?

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2009, 05:42 PM
1080 video scaling isnt HD I think. It plays DVD and upscales it to HD (I think).

The stereo probably doesnt have a blu-ray player on it. Logitech 5:1?? Are you talking about PC speakers, or stereo speakers? Depends how deaf you want to get, on how much power you want. Its better to go in-store and hear it, before you buy it. So, you know what it sounds like

Nomad
13-09-2009, 05:45 PM
I just mentioned that I understand the Logitech 5.1 are regarded positively here on the forums.

But I thought about a component system if they can be used with the computer instead. I also like upgrading it over time and that you can customise it than just buying a fixed set up box. Is a BlueRay deck available for music setups? Or that from the computer?

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2009, 05:47 PM
You can buy blu-ray players, or a blu-ray player / burner for a PC. BUT, it'd probably help if you have a TV / monitor (and receiver / stereo) with an HDMI connection, or connections on it. To make it worthwhile. I may get a blu-ray player / or player / burner for this.. Thats all I need now. I've got the monitor, which has HDMI on it

hueybot3000
13-09-2009, 08:14 PM
buy a decent amp, the better ones (or probaly most now) can take care of everything through hdm. And nothing beats component systems for gaming/movies/music

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2009, 08:21 PM
1080 video scaling isnt HD I think.

According to some sites, if youre using HDMI it can upscale to 1080i/p. On a normal DVD (if it supports it). But, if youre using rca cables, it may not be so high. I think Xbox's (again according to some sites) can upscale dvds to 1080p as well. If its connected to an HDMI monitor / TV. Likewise for PS3's.

Nomad
13-09-2009, 10:08 PM
Thanks I have my screen at 1920x1200 I think and it has DVI and HDMI.

Still thnking prob better for the main room thou than my own room, I have a crap Sony MiniDisc microsystem that cost me a grand in 97 working my butt off in Xmas as a student. It lacks bass.

Who knows the Logitech are pretty good prices.

hueybot3000
13-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Does it have a sub output? Pick up a cheap sub and take the bass load off your speakers

Nomad
13-09-2009, 10:13 PM
Does it have a sub output? Pick up a cheap sub and take the bass load off your speakers

Unfortunately not. I think my motherboard does thou. Hence I said I bought a piece of crap when I was young.

hueybot3000
13-09-2009, 10:15 PM
Ive never used the sub out on a mobo. My Sony Surround amp (probaly worth 2 or 300) takes care of it all. You will find if you can get bass load off your speakers and into a sub itl sound alot clealer. Thats my experience anyway