PDA

View Full Version : Weird Behaviour after Uninstalling Symantec Antivirus

smurf
13-09-2009, 11:09 AM
Hi Guys...I am still trying to help my friend in the US with computer problems relating to a lot of malaware. The malware problem has been solved but after running a HiJack this log and pasting here, it was recommended and I totally agreed with the suggestion, that she remove one of the two antivirus programmes she had on the machine. On my recommendation, she decided to retain Avast and get rid of Symantec. That is where the current problem started. Add/Remove porgrammes would not uninstall it. I therefore got her to download, install and run Revo Uninstaller to get rid of it. After doing just that, when she rebooted, a box came up on the desk top which was a Symantec Installer.....and down in the task bar amongst the startup items was the Synmantec Antivirus logo with a red cross through it. Nothing she seems to do gets rid of the installer box or the startup icon which appears after any reboot.

Any suggestions to get rid of the pest would be appreciated:thanks

KarameaDave
13-09-2009, 11:15 AM
She could try the Norton Removal Tool.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

smurf
13-09-2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks KD

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I've sent the mods a PM asking them to merge this and the hijackthis post you posted. And delete the duplicate post you posted in the other forum. You should keep the same threads (related to the same topic / prob), in the same thread Smurf. It'll make things easier

FIAT LUX
13-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Any suggestions to get rid of the pest would be appreciated:thanks

Actually , then AVG free antivirus forum got a couple of really nice threads about before installing and about uninstalling antivirus programs (http://forums.avg.com/ww.avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=441) , and about Virus removal (http://forums.avg.com/ww.avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=403) - written by an experienced guy !

Good luck !

wainuitech
13-09-2009, 11:56 AM
VERY BAD Idea to post the same question in two different sections of the forum.

I actually answered in the other - but have copied it here - so the Mods can delete the other one.

When you ran Revo, did you select the advanced mode, and carry on removing the left over files and reg keys after Norton removed Via the inbuilt uninstaller - if you rebooted after that first phase ( norton uninstaller), then most of Norton is still there.

What you can try - download Norton Removal tool (http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039) - while not as good as Revo - it should remove most of the left overs.

smurf
13-09-2009, 02:16 PM
Thanks Wainuitech. I am eating humble pie...sorry. I realised my mistake and tried editing it out my post in the other section. The answer to your question is no we didn't use the advance mode in Revo......however, I will get her to try the Norton removal Tool as suggested.

My apologies also to Speedy :)

Jen
13-09-2009, 04:18 PM
I've removed your duplicate thread. :)

I haven't merged this thread with your Hijack This Log thread as this thread topic is about removing the Symantec antivirus program from a computer.

smurf
13-09-2009, 05:47 PM
Thanks Jen...I won't do it again...promise :)

Jen
13-09-2009, 08:53 PM
It is not a big deal if you accidentally post in the wrong forum - people are always doing it. :)

You can use the report post function to report your own post and ask for a Mod to move the thread to the right forum if it happens again.

Speedy normally keeps an eye out for this and alerts the Mods to move the thread. :thanks

smurf
14-09-2009, 08:52 AM
You can use the report post function to report your own post and ask for a Mod to move the thread to the right forum if it happens again.
:thanks

Thanks Jen, I have just learnt something :):cool:

smurf
16-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Ok...got her to try using the Norton's removal tool to try an remove this damn (Symantec) installer that keeps popping up and it did nothing. She doesn't have the original disks any longer so reinstalling/uninstalling is not an option. What about regedit........if we when into the registry and removed all references to Symantec...would that do it? If so, could someone please point out where in the registry these left overs are likely to be lurking.

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I wouldnt touch the registry, unless you know what youre doing. Deleting the wrong entries, will make it unusable. Delete the folders for it then use something like glary utilities to remove the rest.

FIAT LUX
16-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Ok...got her to try using the Norton's removal tool to try an remove this damn (Symantec) installer that keeps popping up and it did nothing. She doesn't have the original disks any longer so reinstalling/uninstalling is not an option. What about regedit........if we when into the registry and removed all references to Symantec...would that do it? If so, could someone please point out where in the registry these left overs are likely to be lurking.

Try finding and downloading the correct "removal tool" through one of the links at the bottom of this page (http://forums.avg.com/ww.avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=441) .

Then try booting into "safe-mode" (hit F8 at Windows boot and choose "safe mode") and try running the Norton removal tool while in "safe mode".

Norton removal tool ought to be able to do the job , if it can't it's not a good sign and it could be sign of some deeper problems with the installation or that it is infected with malware or virus.

smurf
16-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Thanks guys...Speedy...is Glary Utilities Pro trial a fully functional trial version....or is the freeware good enough?

Speedy Gonzales
16-09-2009, 10:14 AM
The free one should be good enough. I dont think there's much diff between it and Pro

smurf
16-09-2009, 10:22 AM
Good one Speedy ...thanks :)

Agent_24
16-09-2009, 04:35 PM
The amount of times I have had to reinstall windows because Norton screwed it up...

(I still can't believe that I once used to use NAV)