PDA

View Full Version : TCP/IP Issues in Windows XP

justinsg
13-09-2009, 01:57 AM
I have two computers running Windows XP SP3. Both computers can connect to the router (Linksys WAG160N) via Wireless N USB, to get internet but they can not see each other consistently in My Network Places.

By consistently, I mean that they sometimes work when I change settings on the router but then stop after a few hours.

Any Ideas?

Here is the result from an ipconfig /all:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : justin-dell
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Mixed
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : WAG160N

Ethernet adapter Wireless N:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : WAG160N
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys WUSB100 RangePlus Wireless USB Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-E5-E2-52-5D
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.101
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::21e:e5ff:fee2:525d%6
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 202.27.158.40
fec0:0:0:ffff::1%2
fec0:0:0:ffff::2%2
fec0:0:0:ffff::3%2
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 13 September 2009 12:29:39 a.m.
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 14 September 2009 12:29:39 a.m.

xmojo1
13-09-2009, 02:52 AM
I take it both Win XP computers are in the same workgroup? When the two PCs can't see each other, both can still get an Internet connection, yes? If so, that may rule out any issue with the router causing the two PCs to not communicate with each other. When the PCs can't see each other, what happens when you do a ping on one PC to the other, using both IP address and host name? If the host name doesn't resolve doing a ping that could mean DNS issue. Is Windows Firewall enabled on both PCs or a third-party firewall? Maybe your firewall, if you use one, isn't quite configured correctly for the network.

You could try configuring both PCs with static IP addresses instead of having DHCP supplying the IP addresses. This takes out any issues with DHCP leasing and renewals.

justinsg
13-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks for replying! Yes they are on the same Workgroup. Yes they can get an internet connection.

One of the computers (acting as a webserver) can be accessed by it's dynamic dns domain name through port forwarding.

The router's admin ping tool fails to ping them ("unknown host") but can successfully ping another Windows Vista computer (which also cannot see any other pcs).

When they can't see each other, pinging them via IP fails saying "Request timed out" and via host name says "Ping request could not find host <computername> ". However they can ping themselves using their ip, host name, and localhost.

Both computers use Windows firewall. After disabling the problem still persists.

I tried giving each static IPs but nothing changed.

Thanks again for your help xmojo1,
Justinsg

Speedy Gonzales
13-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Create and share a folder

justinsg
13-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Create and share a folder

I already have about 3 sharing on each PC but I made another "testshare" and it made no difference "The network path was not found"

SolMiester
13-09-2009, 02:56 PM
I take it both Win XP computers are in the same workgroup? When the two PCs can't see each other, both can still get an Internet connection, yes? If so, that may rule out any issue with the router causing the two PCs to not communicate with each other. When the PCs can't see each other, what happens when you do a ping on one PC to the other, using both IP address and host name? If the host name doesn't resolve doing a ping that could mean DNS issue. Is Windows Firewall enabled on both PCs or a third-party firewall? Maybe your firewall, if you use one, isn't quite configured correctly for the network.

You could try configuring both PCs with static IP addresses instead of having DHCP supplying the IP addresses. This takes out any issues with DHCP leasing and renewals.

This also requires DNS server addresses to be input also, which come from the ISp into the router for config with DHCP....I would just extend the lease period.
Ist step is to test if a ping will reply, then closed firewalls down, check workgroups and shared folders in that order. Once you have connectivity, start reapplying your security settings

SolMiester
13-09-2009, 02:58 PM
Thanks for replying! Yes they are on the same Workgroup. Yes they can get an internet connection.

One of the computers (acting as a webserver) can be accessed by it's dynamic dns domain name through port forwarding.

The router's admin ping tool fails to ping them ("unknown host") but can successfully ping another Windows Vista computer (which also cannot see any other pcs).

When they can't see each other, pinging them via IP fails saying "Request timed out" and via host name says "Ping request could not find host <computername> ". However they can ping themselves using their ip, host name, and localhost.

Both computers use Windows firewall. After disabling the problem still persists.

I tried giving each static IPs but nothing changed.

Thanks again for your help xmojo1,
Justinsg

Check firewall in the router....

justinsg
16-09-2009, 10:22 PM
I have figured out that the DHCP server is the problem! When I delete the active DHCP Clients and force them to get a new IP address, they all do so and file sharing, printing, tcpip all work...

I have yet to find out how long they will work for. The DHCP lease time is set for one day - would changing this help?

Here is a screenshot of the current DHCP settings (Linksys Wireless N Rangeplus WAG160N latest firmware) (http://img6.imageshack.us/i/dhcp.png/)