PDA

View Full Version : Hardware partition

Kemcho
12-09-2009, 05:39 PM
When I bought my PC a couple of years back the vendor divided my internal harddrive into 2, one of them is almost full and there is plenty of spce in the other one. Everytime I switch on my PC, I get the message that my hard drive is full. Is there a problem here? If it is, what is the solution?Thanks

Blam
12-09-2009, 06:15 PM
What OS?

If vista, use disk management(run>diskmgmt.msc) to shrink the large partition and extend the smaller partition, or use Easeus Partition Manager:
http://partition-tool.com/

If that fails, use Gparted

BTW Welcome to PF1:)

Blam

gary67
12-09-2009, 06:52 PM
I would move such things as your music, videos, documents to the empty partition as they will be safer NOT on the same partition as your Vista operating system

Kemcho
12-09-2009, 08:16 PM
Thank you.

I have windows XP.

My technical skills around computer are very limited. But I have still managed to transfer all documents, pics, music etc. to the partition where there is enough space. But I still get the message. Is there any way to increase the size of the partition which is full?

Sweep
12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Post No 2. Download the home version which is free.
Install it and run it.

This will show the current partitions and allow you to change sizes.

Misty
13-09-2009, 06:42 AM
What OS?

If vista, use disk management(run>diskmgmt.msc) to shrink the large partition and extend the smaller partition, or use Easeus Partition Manager:
http://partition-tool.com/

If that fails, use Gparted

BTW Welcome to PF1:)

Blam
Hi Blam
I always do a defrag before moving a partition. Is that wise or not necessary ? My thoughts are it makes files more contiguous and more clearly defines the empty space. Might be useful info for Kemcho ?
Misty :)

pctek
13-09-2009, 08:25 AM
my internal harddrive into 2, one of them is almost full and there is plenty of spce in the other one. Is there a problem here?

Yes.
You should have been using D:

Open Windows Explorer, scroll to your username and right click MyDocuments. Choose CUT.

Scroll to D: and right click it and choose PASTE.

Don't copy, you must cut.
This transfers all your personal stuff including all subfolders over to D: and should help if you have loads of personal stuff taking up room.

CUT ensures its new location is updated in the registry etc, any other method won't.

You probably have programs installed to C:.

The only clean method of altering this is to uninstall them, then reinstall to D:.

You need to choose CUSTOM or ADVANCED mode when running the install, so that when it stops at the screen showing the path to install, you can change it from the default C:\Programs.

gary67
13-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks for that pctek been wondering how you install programs to D want to do that on my new machine I just built. Waiting for Win 7 now to put on it, currently running Linux Mint to try out the machine

pctek
13-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks for that pctek been wondering how you install programs to D

The install wizard always asks about Standard install or Custom, advanced - whatever it calls it.
Choose the latter and you will get a screen where you tell it what partition and folder you want.