PDA

View Full Version : Hardware failure

Amicus 400
12-09-2009, 06:09 PM
My desk top has just failed. when I press the on/off button there is no response whatsoever. it is plugged into a live socket

Logic tells me that the problem could either be the power supply or the mother board. I can find out by buying a power supply and seeing if that fixes the problem. if it does not then proceed to buying a new motherboard and if that does not work go to fixit man.

Is there a simple diagnostic process that I can follow to see which component has failed?

I would like to avoid paying someone to do what I can do my self. (Just like the mitre 10 advert).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated

Regards

Speedy Gonzales
12-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Open the case and short the pwr and gnd pin next to it, with a screwdriver. It maybe a bung on/off button. If it works, get another case.

Sweep
12-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Check that the switch on the PSU is on too.

I know. But easily overlooked.

pctek
13-09-2009, 09:32 AM
I can find out by buying a power supply and seeing if that fixes the problem. if it does not then proceed to buying a new motherboard and if that does not work go to fixit man.

Hell of an expensive way to diagnose.

Because I have spare components I can use that method.

I'd start with RAM if there is no response at all.

Then PSU.
And unplug everything not needed, add on cards, drives etc.

Amicus 400
13-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Many thanks, you are on the money with your observation about the "swap and see" method being expensive, that's what prompted the question.

Unfortunately, I don't have many spare components so I will have to come up with an alternative method.

Thanks for the comments.