PDA

View Full Version : My new rig - things you might want to know

daniely
12-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Hey all,

After my much loved laptop died (panel failure - and that would cost $350 to replace, the things only worth $400 now!!!!), I decided to do what I've wanted to for quite soem time, and built a desktop.

So, onto pricespy I go, having a look, thinking this/that... My first decision was Intel all the way, I've always been an Intel fan (which makes me pretty cool xD). Ok, enough of the lame jokes (don't worry if you didn't get that one ;) ). So, seeing as I knew I'd get Quad relatively soon (I just feel like it, you know, bragging rights) I just chucked in a cheapo - 2.8GHZ dual (the E6300, which I later found out was still part of the Pentium range, meaning only 2MB L2 cache, but all the same it's suprisingly not too far behind a Core 2. pretty much a darn cheap temporary bridge to whatever's next).

I then decided to pair it with a P5Q Pro, pretty nice motherboard and love the express gate (web browser 5 secs after boot). For the RAM I went with 2*2GB (4GB total) XMS2 (Corsair DDR2 dual channel) - now that DDR3's taking off you can get DDR2 dirt cheap and sacrifice, hmmm, I dunno, about 5% of the performance?

Lightscribe DVD+- R RW dual layer supermulti the whole shebang, pretty standard nowadays. For the case I got the Thermaltake M9D, nice styling and nothing too eccentric.

And then the Graphics card. This was my main dilemma - I've always liked nVidia and I'd lined up the GeForce GTX260 (becuase I didn't like the nine series and a more expensive GTX was out of budget). XFX - as they're my personal favourite for Graphics cards.

BUT THEN I checked the price of a XFX 4890 XXX ZHDC (their best XXX edition, but unfortunately not with the out-of-this-world X-shaped packaging). For $7 more I could get substantially more performance. But it didn't look anywhere near as cool as the GTX260. Decisions, decisions.

In the end I went with the ATi, plugged it in and fired the thing up.

Success! All working well, and it's plugged in to a Samsung P2250, which is a stunning 22" fullHD monitor. Think of this - contrast ratio? 50,000:1. Nope, that's not an extra accidental zero. tempting? :)

Hmmmm.... what've I missed? Ah yes, my OS. What'd I go for? What's still the best operating system in the world - Windows XP Pro. I love people ranting about their Vista problems whiel my XP runs smooth as a whistle.

So, for those of you in the market for a few parts, this is what I've found:

-The P5Q motherboards are awesome, don't hesitate, but get the Pro because anything that's called 'Pro' is automatically cool.

-The XFX 4890 XXX is a great card, great price for performance, HOWEVER it buzzes under even small loads, like scrolling up and down a webpage. It is a little disturbing and worrying when a 4890 buzzes playing chess, but apparently this nothing you can do and you just have to put up with it.

-Go for DDR2 dual channel over DDR3 because you'll save a ton and will sacrifice hardly any performance.

-If you get the M9D case disconnect the sidefan as it can be a little noisy - apart from that the case is brilliant.

-And as far as I am concerned Samsung make the nicest monitors, that's a bit of a personal preference though so go with whatever you like, as long as you see it first and like the picture.

That's all for now, let me know what you think!

pctek
12-09-2009, 05:00 PM
E6300, P5Q Pro, 4GB Corsair DDR2 Thermaltake M9D, 4890 Samsung P2250, Windows XP Pro.

let me know what you think!

I think:

Core i7, 12GB DDR3, ATI 4870x2, Win7 64bit.

daniely
12-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Fair enough bro, but honestly once you get to 50fps it's pretty hard to notice the difference between 50 and 100 ;).

Speedy Gonzales
12-09-2009, 05:35 PM
He's a she. I've got one of the P5Q's not the Pro. Its good enough. Used to use expressgate, but cant now. It doesnt work with AHCI. Just need some decent x64 programs now. Using an ATI card, used to use Nvidia, but the drivers got crappy and crashed more than anything else

Might build another system soon, with the power rebate that should be here soon

daniely
12-09-2009, 05:45 PM
He's a she. I've got one of the P5Q's not the Pro. Its good enough. Used to use expressgate, but cant now. It doesnt work with AHCI. Just need some decent x64 programs now. Using an ATI card, used to use Nvidia, but the drivers got crappy and crashed more than anything else

Might build another system soon, with the power rebate that should be here soon

Yer all the P5Q's are absolutley brilliant, got a bit pissed with the guy in the shop telling me I should get a DDR3 compatible MB to "futureproof" myself?!?!?! Anybody else notice how hard it is to find a computer store that isn't run by Asians? Don't get me wrong, I've got nothing against Asians (more or less ;) ) but it would be nice if you didn't walk into a computer store feeling like it was a Chinese restaurant or something.

And he's a she? A girl teaching me about computers... times have changed :illogical. But good for you anyway!

Speedy Gonzales
12-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Nope. If I decide to buy something, I'll check on their site first. And see whats on it. Ring them up, and see if its available.If its good enough, I'll go and buy it. I dont really care what kind of ram I use, just as long as the mobo supports it, and it works after I put it together

gary67
12-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Just built up a P5KPL-CM mobo today with an E7500 and 2GB Ram put Linux mint on to test it as waiting for Win 7 to ship next month it flys with Mint. I'm more than happy all up $400 as had case, DVD, PSU etc from a previous machine

Speedy Gonzales
12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Well, guess Daniely wont be replying anytime soon

gary67
12-09-2009, 06:14 PM
Guess not oh well

pctek
13-09-2009, 09:33 AM
got a bit pissed with the guy in the shop telling me I should get a DDR3 compatible MB to "futureproof" myself?!?!?!
Anybody else notice how hard it is to find a computer store that isn't run by Asians?

Rascist and an idiot too.

gary67
13-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Yes good on Jen for giving out a life ban

hueybot3000
13-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Slight resemblance to zapperboy there