PDA

View Full Version : Creative I/O ULTRA ATA IDE Controller Card installation PROBLEMS.

art789
12-09-2009, 11:04 AM
i have a Creative I/O IDE CONTROLLER CARD , im trying to install it on a PC on a hard drive which i am doing a fresh install of windows on it as well while doing this. the instructions said if im doing this to copy the driver from the cd that came with the Controller card to a Floppy disc with at least 1.44 megabytes on it.

: then boot up with installation windows disc and press F6 to install THIRD PARTY DRIVERS.
: I did this and succesfully got the screen that said to press the S button and then install drivers.
:It went through the rest of the Windows installation and then rebooted, BUT!!!
Iinstead of finishing the installation it went back to the begining of the installation process.
:So i tried rebooting and taking out the windows disc but it didnt work, the drive just didnt boot up.
:I then tried going to the BIOS and disabling the cd drive, but also NOTHING.

SO CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE? thanx

PS: I AM RIGHT HERE BY MY COMPUTER SO I CAN REPLY ASAP . also if someone can really help, i can talk to them via my webcam or vice versa with my yahoo or msn account in messenger . its [edit: email addy removed]. THANKX AGAIN. Its 3:05pm. on a friday. just to prove it. lol thanx

Speedy Gonzales
12-09-2009, 11:28 AM
After it rebooted, you didnt press a key did you?? Because if you did, it'll restart all over again. Once it reboots, leave it alone till it prompts for something. I wouldnt post your email in here, the only thing you'll get is spam

Terry Porritt
12-09-2009, 11:42 AM
.................................................. .................................................. ............................. THANKX AGAIN. Its 3:05pm. on a friday. just to prove it. lol thanx

That just proves or suggests that you are in the Pacific Daylight Time zone...........it is Saturday morning here.......:)

Windows has limited intelligence, it is probably better to do one thing at a time.
Install Windows, then fit the IDE controller card and then install the driver.

art789
12-09-2009, 12:09 PM
Yes speedy, i did not touch any button, i know that when the words "Press any button to boot from CD" comes up, but i didnt press anything, and it doesnt really say that , it says " BOOT from CD" it doesnt says "Press any button ...." so it just does it automatically.
And Terry , the reason im using this card is becuz the mobo has only one port to plug in an IDE cable(i think its called) so im using that one for the cd drive. and thats why im using the card. Thanks for the tip about the email. ill take it off ASAP

art789
12-09-2009, 12:17 PM
oh man, it doesnt let me edit my post anymore. crud!!! oh well. live and learn.

Terry Porritt
12-09-2009, 12:48 PM
I'm thinking back to Win95/98 days when sometimes things would turn to custard if add on cards like sound and dial up modem were already plugged in when installing Windows.

If you are using an IDE hard drive, try slaving the CD to it just for the purpose of Windows installation, using an IDE cable with 2 connectors at one end.
Then add the IDE controller card as suggested, and see if it installs correctly.

I presume the other HDD ports are SATA?

Edit: you only have 15 minutes time elapse in which to edit. Basically so the worlds history cannot be re-written...............:)

Agent_24
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Could you give some more information on your IDE card? perhaps a model number etc?

art789
12-09-2009, 03:35 PM
im not sure i understand what you mean Terry. do you mean puting the jumper from the cd drive to slave? and do you mean doing that before it restarts for the second time? could you watch me on webcam and troubleshoot wtih me please? thankx. Agent 24. here is the info from the little paper manual: ULTRA ATA/133 IDE RAID controller Card.
USER MANUAL: ATA8212-133R

Terry Porritt
12-09-2009, 05:17 PM
im not sure i understand what you mean Terry. do you mean puting the jumper from the cd drive to slave? and do you mean doing that before it restarts for the second time? could you watch me on webcam and troubleshoot wtih me please? thankx. Agent 24. here is the info from the little paper manual: ULTRA ATA/133 IDE RAID controller Card.
USER MANUAL: ATA8212-133R

If you are using an IDE hard drive, and your IDE cable has 2 connectors towards one end, then connect the end one (master) to the hard drive, and the CD drive to the connector further inboard (slave). If both drives have the jumpers set to cable select, then hopefully the bios will detect the HDD as master and the CD drive as slave.

If not set the jumpers so HDD is master, and CD is slave.

Then you can install Windows from the CD drive to the HDD.

Then when you have Windows installed and running OK, you can fit the IDE controller card and install its driver, and check that all is OK in Device Manager.

These cards have their own BIOS by the way which supplements the M/B BIOS and kicks in a little later during the boot process.

If it is now OK you can connect the hard drive to one of the IDE controller card ports with another IDE cable, and the CD drive back to the IDE port on the M/B with the CD drive connected to the end connector of the IDE cable.

I think that should be clear. I dont do webcam.

Agent_24
13-09-2009, 12:18 AM
oh man, it doesnt let me edit my post anymore. crud!!! oh well. live and learn.

Ask one of the mods to do it for you

I think your problem here with not being able to boot is that your system BIOS is trying to boot from the onboard IDE controller and isn't using your other one.

You may need to change the boot order so it will try to boot from "add in cards" or something similar.

art789
17-09-2009, 10:34 AM
hello? i hope someone can still help me with this. so, since the last time this is what ive done. : I installed windows xp pro from usb on the hard and the drive was connected to the mobo. The cd drive was not in use and not plugged in.
: After installation i booted up into windows xp and it detected the Ultra raid card and i installed the drivers using again my usb drive instead of using a crappy floppy or the cd drive.
: So now that i have windows on the hard drive and the drivers for the ultra raid card installed on the hard drive I turned off the PC, disconnected the hard drive from the motherboard and connected it to the Ultra raid card which was connected to a PCI slot. and i re-connected the cd drive to its original post which i was using for the hard drive.
: Everything should have worked fine and i should have been able to boot up into windows from the hard drive connected to the pci card but nope.

I also went into the bios and checked so that it can boot from any installed PCI cards,
i just dont know what to do . I was wondering, is it possible if i can video tape myself going through the process and then uploading it here for someone to see. or if someone would like to see me on webcam? i dont have to see them.
thanks again in advance for taking the time and effor to help. bye...im sooo sleeepy

Agent_24
17-09-2009, 11:04 AM
It may be possible that your PCI card does not actually support booting from drives connected to it.

Is there anything on the packaging or manuals that suggest it can be used for booting?

(I am currently researching online in an attempt to find an answer to this myself)

Agent_24
17-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Well it would appear that you can boot from it

The manual I looked at said that your BIOS should be set to boot from 'SCSI Device'

It seems you also have to choose your boot drive in the RAID BIOS setup...

Do you get a message on your PC when you startup that looks like the one I have attached?

If so, does it detect your hard drive? If it does, hit Ctrl+F/E as it says, and check the settings to make sure it has your drive selected for booting.

art789
18-09-2009, 05:59 AM
yes it does show that message, and it does detect my hard drive, it has it showed by name, my hard drives name is a Quantum fireball hard drive, and i DID press CTRL + F to get to the set up for the card, and then i selected option #1: Automatic setup.
and i selected IDE, becuz that is the only one it would let me select becuz the others were for more than one drive being attached to the card. and as fas as the bios , i went to the second option called
ADVANCED BIOS FEATURES>HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY> (but all it had was this 1. BOOTABLE ADD-IN CARDS. (and i tried pressing enter but nothing happened. )
and the only other thing i checked in the BIOS was in the PnP/PCI CONFIGURATIONS, all it to choose were the following: INIT DISPLAY FIRST: [PCI SLOT] OR [ONBOARD] i have it to PCI SLOT, then the next one is RESET CONFIGURATION DATA: its set to [DISABLED]
next is RESOURCES CONTROLLED BY :[AUTO(ESCD)] but the other option is MANUAL. i have it set to AUTO. and thats all i have checked on. hope this helps. thanks.

art789
18-09-2009, 06:06 AM
ps: ill make the video and see if i can upload it here or put a link up or something. bye.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 07:18 AM
I think that "Agent_24" wrote it when writing : "The manual I looked at said that your BIOS should be set to boot from 'SCSI Device' "

But one thing I don't understand is how so many experienced people can avoid for so long to ask the obvious question :
Could we please be informed what is the exact Make , Model and version number of your MOTHERBOARD ???
If we have this information we might be able get hold of a PDF manual for your board and look what setting you have to do with...
Also your motherboard might need a BIOS update (?) - who knows ?

art789
18-09-2009, 08:04 AM
i put the video of me booting up my computer as well as the BIOS video on youtube. here is the link, hope it helps, sorry for crappy camera. i tried my best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMFn3_Cy6zQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgBSuAEL-js&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMw_NzL7gtM

i got this from the Belarc System Advisor:
System model: RadiSys Endura EM945G
Main circuit Board:
Board: Foxconn Endura EM945G
Serial Number:50405594
BIOS: Phoenix technologies, LTD 5J1R2P29 10/24/2006

hope this helps

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 08:38 AM
i put the video of me booting up my computer as well as the BIOS video on youtube. here is the link, hope it helps, sorry for crappy camera. i tried my best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMFn3_Cy6zQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgBSuAEL-js&feature=channel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMw_NzL7gtM

i got this from the Belarc System Advisor:
System model: RadiSys Endura EM945G
Main circuit Board:
Board: Foxconn Endura EM945G
Serial Number:50405594
BIOS: Phoenix technologies, LTD 5J1R2P29 10/24/2006

hope this helps

OK ! Thanks !
You claim "Foxconn Endura EM945G" to be your motherboard , it appears to be marketed under another name , but you do however have supllied us with ample information in your text. Thanks !
Your board got to be , from your description, "RadiSys Endura EM945G (http://www.radisys.com/Downloads/Endura-EM945G.html)" , Board description manual is here (http://www.radisys.com/files/support_downloads/Endura%20EM945G%20Product%20Manual%20April%202006. pdf) , and BIOS description manual is here (http://www.radisys.com/files/support_downloads/Endura%20945G%20BIOS%20Manual%200406.pdf) .

If that is your motherboard ("RadiSys Endura EM945G (http://www.radisys.com/Downloads/Endura-EM945G.html)") then there is newer BIOS' , newest appear to be "945 MB - BIOS P34 P34 07/ 30/ 2008 1,924K (http://www.radisys.com/files/support_downloads/5J1R2P34.zip)" .
Do however notice that it is YOUR sole responsebility to check if this is the right board and to assess if the BIOS will match your motherboard , also flashing your motherboard is at your own responsebility !!!

It would appear that you need to enter the part of the BIOS called "Advanced BIOS Features" and there under either "Hard Disk Boot Priority" or "First Boot Device", "Second Boot Device" or "Third Boot Device" to setup your motherboard to boot from "SCSI" . !!!

This is my best assessment at the moment please try to follow my advice and then kindly report back to us , thank you !

art789
18-09-2009, 09:23 AM
well like i said, i got that info from the Belarc system advisor, and that info is usually right isnt it? and since my computer is open im looking at the mobo right now and it says: (C) copyright RadiSys Technologies Ireland LTD. EM945G uATX REV: 1.0
hope this helps. so the link i clicked on for the new bios, do i just copy that zip file to my hard drive and install each file or should i add that zip to my usb and boot from the usb? im gonna look at a youtube video to see if they can also help on how to update BIOS. thanks again and will report back.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 09:44 AM
well like i said, i got that info from the Belarc system advisor, and that info is usually right isnt it? and since my computer is open im looking at the mobo right now and it says: (C) copyright RadiSys Technologies Ireland LTD. EM945G uATX REV: 1.0
hope this helps. so the link i clicked on for the new bios, do i just copy that zip file to my hard drive and install each file or should i add that zip to my usb and boot from the usb? im gonna look at a youtube video to see if they can also help on how to update BIOS. thanks again and will report back.

Sorry ! , "art789" , for overlooking the "Belarc system advisor" stuff ect. , I just focused on the information I needed and because I were in a hurry I overlooked the rest , sorry , I was not trying to be impolite.

Actualy the downloadable BIOS file got a description , but what a mess they have made of that Zip file - you'll see if you try to unzip it.

The way one flashes a bios is by (FRESHLY and securely!) formatting a floppy disk while checking the box "transfer system files" - use an un-tainted/problem free system for that. Then examine if the disk got enough room for the bios image and the flash tool and the small bat file and if the disk has not got enough room, then if not enough space on floppy disk then erase non essential system files until the floppydisk can hold the 3 files , transfer the files to the floppy and boot on floppy disk , run the bat file and flash the BIOS , then reset PC , enter BIOS , load BIOS defaults and setup your BIOS .
The name of the 3 files are 5J1R2P34.bin , AWDFLASH.exe and R2P34.bat , total size = 571/576 KB actual size/space taken on harddrive.

art789
18-09-2009, 10:22 AM
so are you saying that i dont have take off the jumper to the J3 thing to get it into recovery mode which then asks me to insert the disket with the new BIOS like the manual said from the link you provided?

art789
18-09-2009, 10:31 AM
im going to follow these directions that were included in the zip, hope thats ok.

Update BIOS without CD-ROM

Step 1. Set JP2 to location 1-2 to unlock the Bootblock.(Remark, the setting of shipment is unlock.)
Step 2. Make a Windows boot disk(Typically Floppy Disk, can be Hard Disk or USB Disk etc.).
Step 3. Copy below files to the boot disk:
Latest BIOS binary file (e.g. 5J1R2Pxx.bin)
BIOS update program (awdflash.exe)
Flash batch file (e.g. f2pxx.bat)
Step 4. Change the 945 motherboard CMOS Setup setting to let it boot from the disk.
Step 5. Save CMOS settings and reboot to DOS.
Step 6. Type the flash batch file's filename (e.g. f2pxx.bat) in DOS prompt line then the
BIOS update process will begin. Wait for the process end and then reboot the system.
Step 7. Recommend to set JP2 to location 2-3 to protect the Bootblock.
Step 8. Power off the system, set JP1 to location 1-2 for a few seconds to clear CMOS data
and then set back to normal location 2-3.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 10:38 AM
so are you saying that i dont have take off the jumper to the J3 thing to get it into recovery mode which then asks me to insert the disket with the new BIOS like the manual said from the link you provided?

As far as I can see you need to make sure that "BIOS Boot Block Write Protect Jumper (JP2)" is set to UN-Block position.

How you wish to update your bios if using recovery mode or doing it manually ought to give the same result , I can't advice what is the safest either way - since BIOS flashing is potential risky you'll need to take that descision yourself.
I do not know the capabilities of the boards "recovery mode" , most boards I flash I flash manually using a disk as described above.....

art789
18-09-2009, 10:56 AM
i check the JP2 jumper and its set to unblock already, it was set like that all along, even while using windows xp. so do you think i should take it off like the manual says so it can go into recovery mode? , becuz im looking through the BIOS right now and i cant find anything that resembles "BIOS BOOT BLOCK WRITE PROTECT JUMPER, the only thing resembling what you said is in the ONCHIP IDE DEVICE SECTION: IDE HDD BLOCK MODE, and its set to ENABLED. but there is no BIOS BLOCK mode anywhere.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 11:12 AM
becuz im looking through the BIOS right now and i cant find anything that resembles "BIOS BOOT BLOCK WRITE PROTECT JUMPER, the only thing resembling what you said is in the ONCHIP IDE DEVICE SECTION: IDE HDD BLOCK MODE, and its set to ENABLED. but there is no BIOS BLOCK mode anywhere.

Sorry if I was not clear enogh , I was referring to the manual and jumpers on the board.

Board description manual is here (http://www.radisys.com/files/support_downloads/Endura%20EM945G%20Product%20Manual%20April%202006. pdf)
(Jumper settings is described in adobe Reader count page 13 & 14 )

BIOS description manual is here (http://www.radisys.com/files/support_downloads/Endura%20945G%20BIOS%20Manual%200406.pdf)
(Bios update is described in adobe Reader count page 6 & 7)

But I think that you should just go ahead as you originally intended :

im going to follow these directions that were included in the zip, hope thats ok.

Update BIOS without CD-ROM

Step 1. Set JP2 to location 1-2 to unlock the Bootblock.(Remark, the setting of shipment is unlock.)
Step 2. Make a Windows boot disk(Typically Floppy Disk, can be Hard Disk or USB Disk etc.).
Step 3. Copy below files to the boot disk:
Step 4. Change the 945 motherboard CMOS Setup setting to let it boot from the disk.
Step 5. Save CMOS settings and reboot to DOS.
Step 6. Type the flash batch file's filename (e.g. f2pxx.bat) in DOS prompt line then the
BIOS update process will begin. Wait for the process end and then reboot the system.
Step 7. Recommend to set JP2 to location 2-3 to protect the Bootblock.
Step 8. Power off the system, set JP1 to location 1-2 for a few seconds to clear CMOS data

art789
18-09-2009, 11:13 AM
ok. i went ahead and took off the jumper to the JP2 thing and it just booted up like normal into windows xp. so then i placed the jumper in the 1-2 pins instead of how it was originally in the 2-3 pins, and still the same thing. so how do i go about updating the BIOS?? i feel so lost now.

art789
18-09-2009, 11:17 AM
i guess the way i inted to go about it was wrong cuz in the manual you gave the link to it says to take off the jumper from JP3, so im gonna try that now.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 11:26 AM
ok. i went ahead and took off the jumper to the JP2 thing and it just booted up like normal into windows xp. so then i placed the jumper in the 1-2 pins instead of how it was originally in the 2-3 pins, and still the same thing. so how do i go about updating the BIOS?? i feel so lost now.

To be on the safe side : You need to have a bootable floppy with the Bios files on and the set the BIOS to but from floppy first.

art789
18-09-2009, 11:42 AM
yea, thats what i did, and my screen just stays black,before that i heard like one or two beeps and then just blackness. the light on the floppy drive turned on, i guess it was reading it, but then just blackness. i waited and waited, but still nothing. so im gonna try again. thanks.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 11:50 AM
yea, thats what i did, and my screen just stays black,before that i heard like one or two beeps and then just blackness. the light on the floppy drive turned on, i guess it was reading it, but then just blackness. i waited and waited, but still nothing. so im gonna try again. thanks.

Was that following your own description/perscription (?) :
http://forums.pcworld.co.nz/showpost.php?p=820774&postcount=22
This should NOT be recovery mode but manual mode with motherboard JP3 set as normal and JP2 set to unblock . That ought not present a black screen if your boot disk , floppy and BIOS settings are all OK !

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Forgot :
If the light stays on on the floppy drive (and nothing happens) you may have put the cable on backwards on the floppy (the red stripe on the cable needs to go to pin 1 side on both motherboard and floppy drive !).

art789
18-09-2009, 12:24 PM
ok the only problem im having is knowing how to boot into DOS. can you recommend an easy way to do this. im sorry for not knowing this.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 12:40 PM
ok the only problem im having is knowing how to boot into DOS. can you recommend an easy way to do this. im sorry for not knowing this.

Take a PC with M.S. Windows and a floppy drive , start computer , put floppy into drive , open Windows Explorer , right click floppy icon + choose format disk , a window opens in that window tick "make M.S. DOS start disk" (probably located at the bottom) and click start.
Then follow previous instructions.

Agent_24
18-09-2009, 12:48 PM
Under the option for "First boot device" what options can you choose?

When you said in "hard disk priority" bootable add-in cards was there, was it listed as the first option?

art789
18-09-2009, 12:52 PM
thank you so much, that is why you are a member and im just a junior member. lol ok so, now that this floppy is my boot up disk with dos, when the bios asks me for the files, i can direct it to the dvd i burned with the three files right? cuz instead of using a floppy i used a dvd disc, is that cool? i thought since i was gonna be using the floppy to boot into dos i thought that i would have to take it out and then put in the the one with the three files and then that would mess things up. so did i do good or ??

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 12:59 PM
thank you so much, that is why you are a member and im just a junior member.
snip
snip
so did i do good or ??

If you got your BIOS flashes you did excellent nomatter which way you chose to do it....

With respect to the "Member" vs "Junior member" I think that is only a matter of how much one has participated so don't let that "fool" you "

art789
18-09-2009, 01:00 PM
i just tried making the bootable dos floppy disc and after it formatted it and stuff it said this:
A:/ is not accessible. the volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.
so im going out right now to buy a new floppy disc, i think the one im using is crap. be back in a few.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 01:59 PM
i just tried making the bootable dos floppy disc and after it formatted it and stuff it said this:
A:/ is not accessible. the volume does not contain a recognized file system. Please make sure that all required file system drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted.
so im going out right now to buy a new floppy disc, i think the one im using is crap. be back in a few.

You may also have a bad floppydrive , it happens from time to time.... (my own is actually quirky and needs replacement !)
Since I can understand that you haven't actually flashed the BIOS yet then I just need you to tell you that I'm not sure that the Windows formattet DOS systemdisk will contain CDROM drivers so you might not be able to access files saved on a CDROM by booting on such a floppy , so you better copy the 3 bios files to the floppy also and use them from there.
I'll have to sign off for today... I might possibly pop-in tomorrow to see how things have gone. Good luck and hope that things work our for you.

art789
18-09-2009, 02:50 PM
in the HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY place it gives the hard drive as the first one and then the bootable ad-in card as the second one. i just made a ms boot disc with the new floppy i b ought , ill let you know how it went.

Sweep
18-09-2009, 02:57 PM
So change the boot order so that the add in card is the first boot device and connect the hard drive to it.

Make the second boot device the other one and connect the optical drive to that.

art789
18-09-2009, 03:22 PM
hey, about the ms dos floppy i made by choosing that formatting option in windows, so do i just boot into it and just remove the JP3 jumper, cuz im doing that right now, and the screen is just black, i dunno man. ill try what you said but......gasp

art789
18-09-2009, 03:30 PM
i tried what you said and it didnt work. it said DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISCK AND PRESS ENTER OR SHOOT YOURSELF BLAYH BLAH BLAH.....man...
i connected the hard drive to the card in the pci slot and the cd drive to the mobo, i couldnt do vice versa cuz the computer is bui8lt weird if you saw the youtube video. so i dunno what do, i thought there was hope by installing the new BIOS but i cant even do that right. i did the format thing he said and making a bootable ms dos thing with the formatting option in windows but when i set the bios to boot from the floppy and set the jumpers to what the manual said i get nothing. i dunno. maybe i DO have the wrong mobo . i dunnno. i guess im gonna just have to pay for a sata cd drive or hard drive.

wainuitech
18-09-2009, 03:44 PM
If you want to make a boot disk, the easiest way - go to Bootdisk.com (http://www.bootdisk.com/) download the file for your system, it will be an exe file, simply double click it, follow instructions to make a bootable floppy. If its a simple boot disk with CD support, get the win98.

Add the BIOS flash files as previously mentioned and boot from that floppy follow your own instructions to install.

WARNING: as previously mentioned by Fiat Lux / Post 18, make sure you have the correct BIOS flash - the wrong one will stuff your BIOS. Close enough is NOT good enough.

art789
18-09-2009, 06:53 PM
i hope you dont think i want everything handed to me on a sliver platter but i dont know which one to pick, there are so many that are for xp. i just need one to boot into DOS and also have the three Bios files you mentioned in the same floppy so as not to have to take it out and insert a different one. can you help me with that? thanks in advanced

Sweep
18-09-2009, 07:32 PM
i hope you dont think i want everything handed to me on a sliver platter but i dont know which one to pick, there are so many that are for xp. i just need one to boot into DOS and also have the three Bios files you mentioned in the same floppy so as not to have to take it out and insert a different one. can you help me with that? thanks in advanced

Go to bootdisk.com and pick the Win98SE one. They all come with the driver for the CDRom drive anyway in case you need to acdcess the CD drive.

Make a floppy bootable with the boot files you get from bootdisk.com and add the three files. Then make sure in the BIOS that the PC is set to boot from the A:/ drive. Flash the BIOS and then set the BIOS to default settings. Take out the floppy then boot.

art789
18-09-2009, 07:42 PM
again, im not trying to sound like a baby, but i guess i cant help it, are you meaning the first one in the boot.com page that says: DOS/Windows9X/Me/NT/2K/XP Excellent Bootdisks becuz i dont anything on the page about windows 98. sorry. oh and i just made a floppy boot disk from the FREE BOOT DISKS section named DOS 5.0 , heres the link to that page. http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm. and im just gonna add the three files to it. is that ok? im sorry again if im asking for too much pointing in the right direction.

art789
18-09-2009, 07:44 PM
oh yea, and id rather go with the floppy way of flashing the BIOS if thats ok.

Sweep
18-09-2009, 07:50 PM
Grab the fourth one down on that page. It will give you an *.exe file. Insert blank formatted 3.5" floppy in A:/ drive and run the download.

Add your three files. Boot from the floppy.

You will then have to run the flash exe and tell it where the BIOS file is. And try to make very sure that you have the correct *.bin file or will have a nice paperweight but not much else.

art789
18-09-2009, 07:55 PM
ok. thank you very much. ill get on it right now
and by the fourth one down, you meant the DOS 6.22 | Mirror from the link i gave you right? or did you mean from the first page from the website, this one?
DOS 3.3+All Flavors Basic Bootdisks By Powerload

just making sure. sorry

Sweep
18-09-2009, 07:59 PM

I will follow your progress with interest.

art789
18-09-2009, 08:00 PM
in case you didnt read it:

and by the fourth one down, you meant the DOS 6.22 | Mirror from the link i gave you right? or did you mean from the first page from the website, this one?
DOS 3.3+All Flavors Basic Bootdisks By Powerload

wainuitech
18-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Maybe a picture will be better helping - as I mentioned and as Sweep confirmed

"Go to bootdisk.com and pick the Win98SE one"

Thats the first one you mentioned in the first page "DOS/Windows9X/Me/NT/2K/XP"

Next page -- Either of the two Selected (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Win98.jpg).

Make the floppy, then as Sweep mentioned --Add your three files. Boot from the floppy.

art789
18-09-2009, 08:14 PM
ok, it doesnt have enough room to add the three files into the floppy after adding the downloaded file. it wont let me add the last file which is the BIN file. what can i delete from the WINDOWS 98 OEM package?

art789
18-09-2009, 08:31 PM
i Just took out the readme file, but the bin file is 512KB but theres only 199kb left in the floppy after i took out the readme file.any suggestions?

art789
18-09-2009, 08:52 PM
hey do you think i could use this custome one: Windows 98 SE Custom, No Ramdrive
and then maybe it will fit the last BIN file. what do you think?

Sweep
18-09-2009, 09:08 PM
hey do you think i could use this custome one: Windows 98 SE Custom, No Ramdrive
and then maybe it will fit the last BIN file. what do you think?

You can use that one quite happily but a RAM drive is usually set up in the config.sys and autoexec.bat file.

art789
18-09-2009, 09:18 PM
ok. so ill add that one and see how it goes.
ok. just tried it and i couldnt get it in there. so what do you suggest?
is there any file from the first windows 98 OEM that you thnk i can do without so i can fit in the BIN file? or can i just boot up with the floppy into DOS and use the dvd i burned with the three files? it will work right?

Sweep
18-09-2009, 09:36 PM
The Win98 boot floppy will come with cd drivers so should work that way.

art789
18-09-2009, 09:43 PM
ok. forgive me but i dont know what you jsut said, so im gonna take that as "go ahead and boot from floppy and copy the three files to the dvd like you have done.

Sweep
18-09-2009, 10:16 PM
Do that.

art789
18-09-2009, 10:20 PM
ok. i did it, and i still got jack. i set the cmos to boot from floppy as first bootable device and the cd drive as the second, and disabled the third bootable device. the JP2 jumper was already set to unlock so i just rebooted with the floppy inside the drive and the dvd with the three files also in the cd drive, i also tried it without the cd in the cd drive and vice versa but still jack. so now im wondering can i burn that win 98 OEM files to a bootable dvd and just put the three files on the floppy? maybe that will work. what do you think?

PS: im gonna try adding the windows 98 SE version and see if i have luck booting into DOS from that one, but i doubt it. so can i burn either of these to a dvd so it can boot from it?

Sweep
18-09-2009, 10:30 PM
You have one file from bootdisk.com which is should be called boot98se.exe. What, exactly did you do with it?

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 10:37 PM
ok. i did it, and i still got jack. i set the cmos to boot from floppy as first bootable device and the cd drive as the second, and disabled the third bootable device. the JP2 jumper was already set to unlock so i just rebooted with the floppy inside the drive and the dvd with the three files also in the cd drive, i also tried it without the cd in the cd drive and vice versa but still jack. so now im wondering can i burn that win 98 OEM files to a bootable dvd and just put the three files on the floppy? maybe that will work. what do you think?

Hello Art789 ,
This seems to be "hell" for you , sorry to see you having so much trouble.

You may make a bootable CDROM by using the bootable Windows 98 SE floppy (the one with CD drivers) you have made , and use it for CDROM bootimage when useing Nero to burn a bootable CD.
That is : Nero , choose bootable CD , put bootable disk in a: drive , on PC that you wan to burn CD on, add the three bios files to the CDROM layout , set nero to use drive a: to pickup/use boot image , burn the disk and don't forget to close the CDROM.

------------------------

Here is the description for CDROM use from the BIOS package that you downloaded :
(please notice that the description below tells you to put the bios file on the floppy - that might not be necessary if you put them on the CD-layout)

- Update BIOS with CD-ROM

Step 2. Make a Windows floppy boot disk. Put it into the floppy drive.
Step 3. Copy below files to the floppy boot disk:
Step 4. Run Nero, use the floppy disk to make a bootable CD.
Step 5. Change the 945 motherboard CMOS setup setting to let it boot from CD-ROM drive.
Step 6. Put the bootable CD into CD-ROM drive, save CMOS settings and reboot to DOS.
Step 7. Type the flash batch file's filename (e.g. f2pxx.bat) in DOS prompt line then the
Step 8. Recommend to set JP2 to location 2-3 to protect the Bootblock.
Step 9. Power off the system, set JP1 to location 1-2 for a few seconds to clear CMOS data

Speedy Gonzales
18-09-2009, 10:44 PM
Or if the system supports booting from a usb flash drive, get the 98 bootdisk extract it to it. Reboot, change the bootdisk to the usb flash drive, save settings, reboot. Easier than a cd and easier if you dont have a floppy

art789
18-09-2009, 10:45 PM
yea i do have a floppy. ok. ill try that. ill try both. if one or the other doesnt work. will report back in a few. thanks

Sweep
18-09-2009, 10:49 PM
ok. i just tried it also with the win 98 OEM SE program in the floppy and tried to boot from it to get into DOS and still nothing. can i burn win 98 OEM onto a dvd so i can boot into dos from it, and just add the three files to the floppy? and i think the manual page about the jumpers is all wrong , that or my mobo is messed up or made wrong cuz i tried all possibilities and all of them kept taking me to the CMOS bios configuration blue screen, so i dunno. but i dont want to give up. so can i burn the exe win 98 files to a dvd to boot into dos with it? sorry for my rude manners, its late overhere. (yawn) but dont want to quit....must.....go...on...;)

The file you downloaded from bootdisk.com is to make a boot floppy. If you just copy that file to the A:\ drive that will NOT make the floppy bootable. This why I asked what you did with the file.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 11:01 PM
yea i do have a floppy. ok. ill try that. ill try both. if one or the other doesnt work. will report back in a few. thanks

Or send me a P.M. (personal message), using this boards mailfeature , with your e-mail address and I will send you a ready to use .EXE file that you just have to doubleclick to make a bootdisk, a bootdisk that you may use for floppy boot or as bootimage for a bootable CDROM . I will include BIOS files on the Floppy so you can flash after booting either from Floppy directly or from bootable CDROM.

Sweep
18-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Sigh. There are two Email addresses in his first post.

wainuitech
18-09-2009, 11:04 PM
Errrr Fiat - thats whats on the sites suggested previously, a ready made boot exe file, that makes a bootable floppy. ( maybe you missed reading it ??)

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Sigh. There are two Email addresses in his first post.

Jen has erased them - get your facts straight before jumping me - please....

Errrr Fiat - thats whats on the sites suggested previously, a ready made boot exe file, that makes a bootable floppy. ( maybe you missed reading it ??)

And a good day to you too....
While your at it why don't you blame me for world hunger and whatever also....

Listen "pal" , I just got out of bed , I'm trying to help a guy fix a problem , and the first thing I get are people jumping all over me if I haven't read every scrap of information since yesterday !
Com on give me a break instead of keeping your attacks up !

If you got so much aggression please find someone else to take it out on...

Sweep
18-09-2009, 11:24 PM
Jen has erased them - get your facts straight before jumping me - please....

Listen "pal" , I just got out of bed , I'm trying to help a guy fix a problem , and the first thing I get are people jumping all over me if I haven't read every scrap of information since yesterday !
Com on give me a break instead of keeping your attacks up !

The Email addresses were erased by Jen at 10:09 so when I posted at 10:04 they were there. So my facts were correct when I posted.

art789
18-09-2009, 11:25 PM
ok i just booted from the usb flash drive and it sort of worked. it said STARTING WINDOWS 98 but then came with that it was missing some files, and the path not found-: /command.com
file not found-extract.exe and then it asks me to insert windows 98 startup disk 2. so i dunno
etc. so im gonna try and copy the windows 98 SE to floppy then copying the files to the usb flash drive.
and guys, give it a rest huh? lets act like professionals. lol jk...HELP!!!!

Jen
18-09-2009, 11:26 PM
Jen has erased them - get your facts straight before jumping me - please....The email addresses were there when Sweep made his post. I've only just deleted them. Maybe first check the time stamp of the edit next time huh.

Com on give me a break instead of keeping your attacks up !Sigh. How about you taking it easy. No more of this please.

art789
18-09-2009, 11:39 PM
sorry if i caused trouble. if you want me to leave. ill understand. sorry again. it wasnt my intention to have them fight. i didnt have anything to do with it.

GameJunkie
18-09-2009, 11:40 PM
sorry if i caused trouble. if you want me to leave. ill understand. sorry again. it wasnt my intention to have them fight. i didnt have anything to do with it.

it's not your fault, don't worry :)

Sweep
18-09-2009, 11:41 PM
So how is it going? I will be here until late.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 11:42 PM
The email addresses were there when Sweep made his post. I've only just deleted them. Maybe first check the time stamp of the edit next time huh.

Sigh. How about you taking it easy. No more of this please.

How about EVERYONE ELSE TAKE IT EASY !

All this for not seeing that an e-mail address were posted and for offering to custom make a disk for a guy and mail it to him....
You certainly are a friendly lot - aren't you....
No , more of this ?, fine by me ! , I'll see that Art get his things worked out and I'll be gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And Jen - I told you this would happen...)

Jen
18-09-2009, 11:43 PM
sorry if i caused trouble. if you want me to leave. ill understand. sorry again. it wasnt my intention to have them fight. i didnt have anything to do with it.Don't worry - it is very clear you are an innocent bystander who has been caught up in this. I apologise if this bickering has made you feel uncomfortable :)

I am sure they will be on their best behaviour from now on or they will have me to answer to.

FIAT LUX
18-09-2009, 11:43 PM

Not your fault at all "Art789" !!!

It's just how people are....

Jen
18-09-2009, 11:45 PM
(And Jen - I told you this would happen...)Yes, and you also told me you tend to cause this sort of reaction. This is nothing to be proud of. Perhaps consider modifying your posting behaviour on this forum so this does not happen again.

art789
please dont shout, i really dont want anyone to fight becuz of me and my problem. please?? well anywho....i just moved the windows 98 SE files that were added to the floppy to the flash drive, and im now formatting the floppy and going to add the three files for the BIOS. and then im going to reboot with the flash drive as first bootable device.

GameJunkie
How about EVERYONE ELSE TAKE IT EASY !

All this for not seeing that an e-mail address were posted and for offering to custom make a disk for a guy and mail it to him....
You certainly are a friendly lot - aren't you....
No , more of this ?, fine by me ! , I'll see that Art get his things worked out and I'll be gone !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(And Jen - I told you this would happen...)

you need to take a Chill pill or two.....

i find most people on the forum to be a friendly bunch, so yes we are a friendly lot.

your'e making the guy feel bad, give it a rest ae, all they wanted was some help , not a spat against everyone else...

Jen
19-09-2009, 12:01 AM
That was the last warning. You are off the forum for 24 hours.

Everyone else, only post if you have some help for art789. Keep your off-topic comments out of this thread. Thanks.

art789
19-09-2009, 12:02 AM
oh no. what happened?

Sweep
19-09-2009, 12:04 AM
So how are you going at your end art789?

I'm still here to give you more help.

Jen
19-09-2009, 12:04 AM
oh no. what happened?He carried on after being asked to modify his behaviour on the forum.

How are you getting on with your problem? Any more updates?

art789
19-09-2009, 12:13 AM
its not booting from the usb flash drive like before. and this time im using the windows 98 oem SE version, unlike before i was using the windows 98 OEM. before it would say "booting into win 989" and then give me the errors. but it doesnt even do that now. and i checked the CMOS setting twice, the first bootable device is the usb flash drive, i selected usb devices to boot first. but nothing. i dunno. i guess ill have to install nero and burn a bootable dvd, cuz i dont have anymore cd's. i tried again a couple more times and still nothing. guess ill get on installing nero then. will report back

Sweep
19-09-2009, 12:22 AM
Now what did you do with the boot98se.exe file?

Normally you would format a floppy so it is empty and then run that file. It will ask where is the floppy and then extract the boot98se to the floppy thus making the floppy disk bootable the will be two hidden files plus command.com on the floppy at this time. There may also be a autoexec.bat and config.sys and probably another *.sys file to run the CD drive, Is that what you did? Give me a list of files on the A:\ drive if that is what you did.

art789
19-09-2009, 12:26 AM
i double clicked on the boot98se.exe file and it formatted the floppy disc i had in the drive and added all the files. i then coppied all the files that were in the floppy and put them in the flashdrive and then formatted the floppy clean and added the three bios files. rebooted from the usb flash drive and i got nothing. but it only semi worked with the windows98.exe file not the SE.exe file that im talking to you about right now

Sweep
19-09-2009, 12:34 AM
i double clicked on the boot98se.exe file and it formatted the floppy disc i had in the drive and added all the files. i then coppied all the files that were in the floppy and put them in the flashdrive and then formatted the floppy clean and added the three bios files. rebooted from the usb flash drive and i got nothing. but it only semi worked with the windows98.exe file not the SE.exe file that im talking to you about right now

OK.

Start again with the Win98 file. Format the floppy then run the Win98 boot exe which should create a boot floppy. There will be some files we can delete off the floppy so it is still bootable but when we delete what you don't need there should be enough room on the floppy to copy the bios files to the floppy.

Do that then get back to me with a list of files on the floppy.

Sweep
19-09-2009, 01:41 AM
Looks like you have hit the sack art789.

I'll check this thread in the morning.

art789
19-09-2009, 06:18 AM
yea sorry, i did hit the sack. but im back now. and the floppy is ready, i just need to know which files i can move out to make room for the three BIOS files. please.

Sweep
19-09-2009, 09:59 AM
yea sorry, i did hit the sack. but im back now. and the floppy is ready, i just need to know which files i can move out to make room for the three BIOS files. please.

So what files do you have on the floppy?

art789
19-09-2009, 10:04 AM
i have all of the windows 98 OEM files for booting into DOS, i think its like 18 files in total. or do you need me to write each name down?

wainuitech
19-09-2009, 10:19 AM
Listing the 18 files will be helpful, or even taking a screen shot and you can upload that to PF1's http://www.imagef1.net.nz/ This way nothing gets removed by mistake.

art789
19-09-2009, 10:22 AM
sorry if that sounded like i gave attitude, i just had to switch computer that had the floppy drive on. so here are the files that are on the floppy: SETRAMD.BAT, README.TXT, RAMDRIVE.SYS, OAKCDROM.SYS, HIMEM.SYS, FLASHPT.SYS, FINDRAMD.EXE, FIDISK.EXE, EXTRACT.EXE, EBD.CAB, DRVSPACE.BIN, BTDOSM.SYS, BTCDROM.SYS, ASPICD.SYS, ASPI8U2.SYS, ASPI8DOS.SYS, ASPI4DOS.SYS, ASPI2DOS.SYS.

AND THATS IT. we can take out the read me file right? or do i need it to tell the computer to do stuff? hope this helps.

Speedy Gonzales
19-09-2009, 10:25 AM
That looks right. Just reboot and change the bootdisk to the floppy. And let it boot. And put a BIOS on it, (and the program to flash it with), if you want to flash the BIOS

Sweep
19-09-2009, 10:31 AM
sorry if that sounded like i gave attitude, i just had to switch computer that had the floppy drive on. so here are the files that are on the floppy: SETRAMD.BAT, README.TXT, RAMDRIVE.SYS, OAKCDROM.SYS, HIMEM.SYS, FLASHPT.SYS, FINDRAMD.EXE, FIDISK.EXE, EXTRACT.EXE, EBD.CAB, DRVSPACE.BIN, BTDOSM.SYS, BTCDROM.SYS, ASPICD.SYS, ASPI8U2.SYS, ASPI8DOS.SYS, ASPI4DOS.SYS, ASPI2DOS.SYS.

AND THATS IT. we can take out the read me file right? or do i need it to tell the computer to do stuff? hope this helps.

There are only three files that you need to keep. I don'i have a floppy here to test it but from memory there would be two or three hidden files.

You definitely need command.com and io.sys and I think there is one other which will be hidden. If you don't need access to the CD drive to flash the BIOS you can delete all the files you have listed and the floppy will still boot.

art789
19-09-2009, 10:35 AM
ok. so your saying i can delete the any file that that has the word CD in it right? so that means OAKCDROM.SYS is out, BTCDROM.SYS is out, and thats it, is that right?

hey, what about ASPICD.SYS? does that count too?

Sweep
19-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Yes

art789
19-09-2009, 10:43 AM
hey, what about ASPICD.SYS? does that count too?
i need 255kb of space to add the last file which is the 5J1R2P34.BIN file, its 512kb large. and theres only 245 available in the floppy

Sweep
19-09-2009, 10:45 AM
Yes. They are all generic CD drivers.

Sweep
19-09-2009, 10:47 AM
When you have done that add the three files for the BIOS flash if you have enough room and see if the PC will boot off the A:\ drive.

art789
19-09-2009, 10:51 AM
you said i only definately need three files that will be hidden so does that mean i can delted any of them to make room for the last bios file? becuz EBD.CAB is looking pretty tempting if you know what i mean. lol

Sweep
19-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Correct.

wainuitech
19-09-2009, 10:54 AM
SWEEP -- This may be of some help -- Contents of Floppy (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Floppy.JPG) - including all the hidden /system files.

Sweep
19-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks for that Wainui.

Art789 only needs:-
command.com
io.sys
msdos.sys

Got that art789?

add the bios flash files.

wainuitech
19-09-2009, 11:12 AM
:thumbs:

art789
19-09-2009, 11:27 AM
ok since you said they are ALL generic cd drivers , im going to take out the EBD.CAB file. since its the bigges. is that ok?

art789
19-09-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks for that Wainui.

Art789 only needs:-
command.com
io.sys
msdos.sys

Got that art789?

add the bios flash files.

so those three files above are the hidden ones? cuz i dont see them. so im going to take off the EBD.CAB file cuz its the biggest and i need the room to fit the last file. someone please give me an ok to do this please.

Sweep
19-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Those three are the hidden ones. Remove the ebd.cab.

art789
19-09-2009, 12:08 PM
ok i just booted up from the floppy after i added the last file for bios, cuz i removed that ebd cab file. and it sort of worked. i put all thre bootable devices to boot from floppy in the cmos settings, BUT, it said that it couldnt detect on my hard drive a FAT PARTITION, so it wants me to go back and make a FAT partition i guess so it can run DOS??? im not sure, anyone care to shine any lite on this please? adn then it asked me for the windoes 98 disk 2. so thats it. be right back. gotta go kill a mouse!!! eeek!!

Sweep
19-09-2009, 12:16 PM
ok i just booted up from the floppy after i added the last file for bios, cuz i removed that ebd cab file. and it sort of worked. i put all thre bootable devices to boot from floppy in the cmos settings, BUT, it said that it couldnt detect on my hard drive a FAT PARTITION, so it wants me to go back and make a FAT partition i guess so it can run DOS??? im not sure, anyone care to shine any lite on this please? adn then it asked me for the windoes 98 disk 2. so thats it. be right back. gotta go kill a mouse!!! eeek!!
At this point you only want to flash the bios I believe. You don't want a fat partition. Boot off the floppy and I think one of the three files for the BIOS was a filename ending in .bat

So when you boot off the floppy you should be at a prompt that looks like.

A:\ >

At that prompt type the name of the batch file which should auto run the command to flash the BIOS.

wainuitech
19-09-2009, 12:17 PM
If you are flashing a BIOS - the operating system doesn't really come into it. The BIOS is on the Motherboard.

A windows 98 Boot Floppy will say that message if the OS is formatted in NTFS.

art789
19-09-2009, 12:43 PM
ok . let me reboot and see if i see that prompt A: ... your talking about.

art789
19-09-2009, 02:01 PM
yea. i did install my windows with a quick NTFS when it gave me that option in installation.
hey. i was thinking, do you think if i installed windows vista that i could just ignore this bios thing and it would have the option to choose to boot from the card from the bios??
do you think vista's bios would have that option? so as not to have to go through this whole ordeal, i mean, i dont care having vista. i got the disc.

Sweep
19-09-2009, 02:05 PM
Vista uses the same BIOS you have right now.

art789
19-09-2009, 02:18 PM
guess what guys?

GameJunkie
19-09-2009, 02:22 PM
it worked?!?!

Sweep
19-09-2009, 02:23 PM
You have flashed the BIOS? I hope!

I also hope it was the correct bin file.

art789
19-09-2009, 02:32 PM
YES!!!! i successfully flashed the bios without incident, when the computer booted from the floppy it gave me the option to either boot with CD support or without, but i couldnt see anywhere where i could type in that file that . bat one... so i saw at the bottom and it said to press SHIFT+ S or something to go to command prompt and then i remembered that command prompt meant that i could type commands duh. so i did that and it worked and now when it boots up i get this cool RADIYS logo . huh huh. lol. but so right now i just plugged in the card to see if it will boot up, i checked the bios and couldnt find anything that said to boot from the card except what i had mention where the hard drive was named first and the bootable cards was second, so i mad the card first. and im trying to reboot right now, will let you know. be riht back. thanks

art789
19-09-2009, 02:34 PM
ok. i just tried to reboot, and i can see the computer is on cuz of the light, but nothing happens, i have the hard drive connected to the card and the cd drive to the mobo, i cant do vice versa cuz the cd drive is too far away from it. but i guess i could use a different ide cable just to test it out, cuz if it does work i wont be able to close it up right. be back in a few.

art789
19-09-2009, 02:49 PM
you know what, i refuse to go for the easy fix, i want to boot the hard drive having it connected to the card and not the cd drive. ive worked on this too dam long. lol what was it one of you said that once i had the new bios that i could go to advanced features and change something, ???? i went there and i couldnt find anything relating to my card. :(

feeling very drained. only got three hours of sleep

Sweep
19-09-2009, 02:55 PM
Go into the BIOS and check everthing from the date etc onward.

Especially pay attention to boot order. Try CD first followed by hard drive.
Insert the winXP CD in the drive and try to boot with that in the first instance. If it boots take the cd out and try booting the hard drive.

art789
19-09-2009, 02:57 PM
ok

art789
19-09-2009, 09:11 PM
well i plugged the cd drive into the card, and put it as the first bootable device and inserted a windows xp cd but it didnt boot. and i went into device manager and it wasnt detected. so ......im going to get the date and look over the bios again for you like you said. be back. just thought id report with that little info.sorry i took so long. had enough of it for a lil wh ile had to take a break.

art789
19-09-2009, 09:25 PM
hey you know what i noticed as it booted up, the bios date, i think its the same one it still says: RAID BIOS V1.7. 2002-2004, IS THAT THE CARD BIOS OR MY COMPUTERS BIOS? cuz i thought since i got that new blue RADYSYS logo at the boot up screen in the beginning that i installed the new BIOS, or didnt i? ill put up a video to show you

wainuitech
19-09-2009, 09:34 PM
I'm Not trying to be smart arse here - but I also don't really feel like reading through 100+ posts --:p

Right back at the original post - you mentioned
the instructions said if im doing this to copy the driver from the cd that came with the Controller card to a Floppy disc with at least 1.44 megabytes on it. ------then boot up with installation windows disc and press F6 to install THIRD PARTY DRIVERS Have you tried that again now that the BIOS has been flashed to the latest version ???

What that is meant to do, is when the CD boots it can locate the HDD and allow the OS to install.

Also Post #9 from Terry, also looks like it should work.

Sweep
19-09-2009, 10:05 PM
I also think post number 9 from Terry would be the best answer.

art789
19-09-2009, 10:25 PM
well i also thought taht would be it, but when i went to the device manager and looked for the card under SCSI whatevers, i saw my card there without any exclamations points or anything indicating that it wasnt working right. but ill try it.

Agent_24
30-09-2009, 10:39 AM
well i plugged the cd drive into the card, and put it as the first bootable device and inserted a windows xp cd but it didnt boot. and i went into device manager and it wasnt detected. so ......im going to get the date and look over the bios again for you like you said. be back. just thought id report with that little info.sorry i took so long. had enough of it for a lil wh ile had to take a break.

Apparently the card only supports hard drives, nothing else like CD drives so that won't work.

hey you know what i noticed as it booted up, the bios date, i think its the same one it still says: RAID BIOS V1.7. 2002-2004, IS THAT THE CARD BIOS OR MY COMPUTERS BIOS? cuz i thought since i got that new blue RADYSYS logo at the boot up screen in the beginning that i installed the new BIOS, or didnt i? ill put up a video to show you

RAID BIOS most likely refers to the card, which you did not update. However the RADYSYS logo is most likely from your motherboard, which you did update...

Agent_24
30-09-2009, 10:46 AM
Maybe you should try bypassing the BIOS in this case, with a program called smart boot manager.

Get windows booted somehow and then take a formatted floppy disc and put it in the drive.

Then download http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/3.7/sbminst.exe

Save it to C:\

Open command prompt

Type "cd\" and press enter to change to root dir C:\ (You should get "C:\>" prompt)

Then type "sbminst -d 0" so your command should look "C:\>sbminst -d 0" and then press enter. (-d = drive, 0 = first floppy drive)

Smart Boot manager will now be installed to your floppy disk. Now take your disk out and write-protect it (sometimes SBM can stuff itself up if you leave it writable)

Put your hard drive on the RAID card and then boot your system from the floppy with SBM on it. See if you can boot your hard drive using this.

art789
14-10-2009, 07:29 PM
not to sound like a dick but that sounds like too much trouble, and i really want to just be able to simply plug in this card and connect it to the hard drive and have it work normally. this computer is for my mom and doing all that stuff will confuse the hell out of her. so i tried upgrading the bios again just to make sure i did it right, i used the same disc that worked but i dont remember how i had the jumpers set, so ive been trying all kind of settings, cuz the one on the manual doesnt work so i dunno anymore, i even downloaded the formatting file ext from bootdisc.com again but still nothing, im tired. consider this thread closed, thank you all for your tireless help, you have all been very kind and enlightening, but i am surrendering and throwing up the white boxers shorts and waving them in the air in defeat and just gonna buy either a sata hard drive or sata cd/dvd drive. goodnight to all. peace!:punk