PDA

View Full Version : Problems joining avi files

user
11-09-2009, 03:09 PM
I have tried two freeware programs: Pecks avi join (or some similar name) and Mediajoin. Neither has joined the files successfully. Pecks tries and I end up with a 2kb file. Could it be a problem with the codec used for the avi file that Peck maybe cannot recognise?

Mediajoin looks good but I end up with a file twice as long as the joined files should be 'cos it repeats the files twice in the joined version. I was successful with it last night joining files on two occasions, but on the third try it doubled the files again in the joined version. Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Or can you recommend a freeware program to try? I have only a few files to join so do not need the software for any other use.

Blam
11-09-2009, 03:21 PM
MovieMaker or VirtualDub

user
11-09-2009, 03:30 PM
Moviemaker can't handle the avi files - it loads them and can show them on the timeline but nothing can be played on the preview. Is this a codec problem?

I will give the other suggestion a go if no solutions are offered for the problems with the original two programs.

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
11-09-2009, 03:45 PM
Its probably a codec prob. Install K-lite or something

psycik
11-09-2009, 04:17 PM
You could try virtual dub (google virtualdub avi joining) I've used this in the past with good results.

kahawai chaser
11-09-2009, 09:00 PM
Afterdawn (http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/virtualdub_join_avi.cfm)and Video Help Com has good guides on video editing. But depends on the source of your files, and codec/encoding process, which might affect the outcome.

user
12-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the help. Gspot indicated I had the correct codecs already installed. I found that if I ran mediajoin once to join avi files, it worked. After that it was variable with the results. So I kept on restarting the program and joined all the files OK.
Have also downloaded virtualdub and it seems fine to use.

KarameaDave
13-09-2009, 03:33 AM
Avidemux is another good one.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/avidemux/files/avidemux/2.5.1/avidemux_2.5.1_win32.exe/download