PDA

View Full Version : Full Car Licence

convair
11-09-2009, 12:10 PM
How easy is it to pass the final test to get your full car licence?

I've got my restricted at the moment.

Trev
11-09-2009, 12:32 PM
It was pretty easy 40 years ago.
:)

wratterus
11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
It's still easy. Getting your restricted is normally harder...just go for a drive and answer some questions.

kenj
11-09-2009, 12:53 PM

ya beat me to it Trev...51 years ago in my case.

My late Dad, when he went for his HT licence in the 30's said the traffic cop just gave it to him as it was a big truck and he reckoned that as Dad had driven it there, he must be doing OK. Things sure are different today,aye Trev. ;)

Ken

WalOne
11-09-2009, 12:54 PM

Even easier 50 years ago on my fifteenth birthday. Once around the block, reverse around a corner and park. Although, I had been driving since 10 on farms and back country roads ... :D

--Wolf--
11-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Exactly the same as your restricted, just 30 mins longer and you have to talk a couple of times for about 20 seconds. Do a defensive driving course and the full license test is exactly the same as the practical for the DDC.

And WalOne, I never had to reverse around a corner or park (pulling over to the side of the road is barely parking) for mine. And that wasn't that long ago. You had it hard.

Cato
11-09-2009, 01:07 PM
Easier than restricted. No parallel parking or anything. Just drive around, keep distance. Keep within 5km +/- of the speed limit. And look into your rear view mirror every 5 seconds. And always look over your shoulder when changing lanes.

And most importantly make sure your headlight, indicators and horn works. Otherwise they fail you on the spot saying your car ain't up to WOF standards.

wainuitech
12-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Blimey thats going back a bit now :D

When I went for my licence -

The hill start (in a manual, not cheating with an auto) the "hill" was on the enterance to the River bank carpark in Lower Hutt. Still easy though.

The 3 point turn -- sheeet I could have done it in 1 - the road was so wide ;)

The reverse parking -- could have backed a tank or two into the space and still had room.

One funny thing -- The lady taking me for the test was well known as a right hilter - 1 little thing wrong and she would fail you. As we were going back to the police station (thats where they were at that time) this dog runs out on the road - instinct kicked in and I hit the brakes so as not to run it over - she looked at me and said -- Thank god you stopped - I love animals-- you passed anyway :thumbs:

Scouse
12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Re: Keep within 5km +/- of the speed limit.
Beware.... Depends on location and the plus can fail you.
I recently got a photo fine in Main Road, Stoke for 55.

Cato
12-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Re: Keep within 5km +/- of the speed limit.
Beware.... Depends on location and the plus can fail you.
I recently got a photo fine in Main Road, Stoke for 55.

The guy taking the test told me so.
Shouldn't be fined for that on the main road. Usually they give you 9km over the limit before they snap you.

Was it near a school? AFAIK there is no discretion near schools.

wainuitech: Re braking hard for the dog, is there something about no sudden stopping?

wratterus
12-09-2009, 01:52 PM
Yep - DO NOT exceed the speed limit in any way. Don't know what it's like in Auckland but down here you don't go over at all. I failed my restricted the first time slowing down from an 80 to a 50 area, was doing around 60 when I passed the sign. Just cause you don't get a ticket doesn't mean you should drive at that speed during a test.

prefect
12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
The guy taking the test told me so.
Shouldn't be fined for that on the main road. Usually they give you 9km over the limit before they snap you.

Was it near a school? AFAIK there is no discretion near schools.

wainuitech: Re braking hard for the dog, is there something about no sudden stopping?

Never heard of no sudden stopping law.
If there is one I have broken it a few years ago.
Borrowed my mates XY Falcoon was used to cars with mediocre brakes. I just what I thought touched the brakes and I got propelled into the windscreen getting a bloody nose next intersection same thing coon locks up brakes again.
Even though quite old they had disks on the front and a gigantic brake booster.
I there was a law against sudden stopping then bastards who tail gate and rear end you would have a defence.

wainuitech
12-09-2009, 03:02 PM
wainuitech: Re braking hard for the dog, is there something about no sudden stopping? There used to be a clause, and I cant remember the exact wording - but it went something like -- you were not meant to stop suddenly to avoid hitting dogs, cats, ducks etc if it were to cause a more serious accident, Eg: only other option was swerving into oncoming Traffic.

Most people though if a dog runs onto the road will stop - then sometimes followed by the rear end crash as some idiot following to close behind, not paying attention couldn't stop.

Actually saw one minor accident a long time ago :groan: some woman stopped suddenly because some bird was eating a crust on the road, and she didn't want to run it over - the car behind her---------- Screeeeeechh- !smack!

Cato
12-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Thought as much.
That's why there is following distance, two seconds or whatever. So it's always the jackass-behind-you's fault for following too closely.

Another similar incident that comes to mind - what happened to my friend about two years ago.

He was turning at a controlled intersection, and when the light turned yellow, the guy in front of him slammed on the brakes, causing a crash.
My friend ended up charged with reckless driving. And ended up paying for the repair for both cars. (Sucks to have no insurance)
We had a look deep into this and the only thing we could find is, that one should stop on a yellow light UNLESS it's not safe. The police, and later the judge didn't want to hear about any of this.

wainuitech
12-09-2009, 04:03 PM
From the Road Code (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/roadcode/about-driving/giving-way-at-controlled-intersections.html)
A yellow signal means stop, unless you are so close to the intersection that you can't stop safely.

SurferJoe46
12-09-2009, 04:35 PM
If you slam on your brakes here to "capture" someone and have them run into you, you get the fine.

It's pretty easy to tell since NO animal is given any grace if it's on a road or freeway and if it does damage to your vehicle and the owner can be found - they have to pay for all the damage and then they also get a fine for letting their animal off it's leash.

It's a prima-facia citation if you rear-end another vehicle that is stopped for a traffic control device - sign/light/crosswalking pedestrian, etc - but almost all times you are usually at fault if you hit another car in the back unless the first condition exists.

We call that activity "swoop-and-brake" and the insurance companies really investigate these claims with every CIS device they have available.

That's why the same companies want the black boxes that are all in modern vehicles to be used for evidentiary procedures in accidents. So far it isn't gonna happen since there's the freedom of information act that forbids it.

Cato
12-09-2009, 05:15 PM
From the Road Code (http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/roadcode/about-driving/giving-way-at-controlled-intersections.html)

When you have well crossed the pedestrian crossing and the car behind you has crossed it too... That is in no way safe.

SJ, a good friend of my sister's died 10 odd years ago when he hit a deer.
I'd rather fly off the road then meet a deer/horse/cow head on.

gary67
12-09-2009, 06:12 PM
Would that have been near Stoke school, they also like placing the van on Nayland road by Carters pointing back towards Stoke, on Hill St Richmond in the dip and under the bridge on the deviation pointing towards town

convair
12-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Can't stand automatic trans in cars, I would rather be in control of the car

prefect
12-09-2009, 10:03 PM
In my car or work truck if anyone tail gates me I always slam on the brakes, never a moments hesitation and let them hit my tow bar. Then later at work flash up the oxy acetylene and bend it back out. If they are insured they get to pay for any other damage including uninsured persons damage from previous hit.
One car driver is a legge run into the back of my work truck twice tailgating on State Highway 16. When ever they say why did you brake I always say you freaked me out and I panicked would you like to get the police involved?

Cato
12-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Prefect I'm going to find you a video you will really enjoy.

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPofRQdREyU

That's what makes America great. Watch the whole thing, well worth it.