PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Upgrading Graphics and Ram Welcome :D

HamieSam
11-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Hey im looking to get a bit more kick out of my computer in terms of graphics (for gaming) and wondering whether my Ram needs upgraded.

My system:

Case: Ninja - http://www.raidmax.com/ seems well Cooled with 2x12cm fans front and back and side fan which dont seem temperature controlled.

Power Supply - 520Watt Seems well cooled with a huge ble led fan

OS - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

MotherBoard - ASUS M2N-E SLI Series NVIDIA nForce500 SLI MCP
(1 blue slot 1 black both for pci-e?, and 2 black slots 2 yellow for ram)

Core - AMD Athlon 64bit x2 Duel Core Processor 5600+ (2.8ghz from memory)

Ram - 1X2g i think 667 DDR2 and 2X1g again 667 DDR2 (both have apacer on them but came in a transcend package and a kingston package, 2g was stock) the 2g is in a yellow slot and the 1g's are in the black slots.

Current Video Card - Gforce 8600GT 256mb DDR3 PCI-E (Driver CD says XFX is that the brand?)

Screens - 1X19inch running 1440x900 on the destop and 1X14inch on extended.

I'm looking around the $200-250 NZD price mark for a gfx card. I've been comparing the Gforce 9800GT and ATI 4770. Any recommendations on GFX? and can i run it in SLI with my current card or would i chuck that out? Also what brand would be best?

Also i feel like my ram is a bit sluggish? any recommendations there?

Thanks in advance :D Hope someone can get my head around this haha.

Blam
11-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Get a GTX260.(Asus, Gigabyte, XFX)

RAM is cheap. Get 2 sticks of decent DDR2 800/1066 RAM.

What brand is the PSU?

HamieSam
11-09-2009, 11:29 AM
Hmm gtx260 is probably a bit out of my price range. and what mb/g should i be aiming for with that monitor spec.

So you would switching to 800/1066 make a signifcant difference from 667? and what about ddr3? or is that to expensive?

The PSU i couldn't see the brand name anywhere but it had a product number of TX-952TX-JB. well at least i think thats the product. Does the brand matter though?

inphinity
11-09-2009, 11:40 AM
Hmm gtx260 is probably a bit out of my price range. and what mb/g should i be aiming for with that monitor spec.

So you would switching to 800/1066 make a signifcant difference from 667? and what about ddr3? or is that to expensive?

The PSU i couldn't see the brand name anywhere but it had a product number of TX-952TX-JB. well at least i think thats the product. Does the brand matter though?

I'd probably get a 4870 at that price, or a GTX260 if you can stretch the extra $50.

Difference in ram isn't huge, but quality, dual-channel DDR2-800 will certainly help with gaming performance over mismatched generic DDR2-667.

That board won't support DDR3. It's nForce 500-series, and has 4 DDR2-800 slots, 2GB max per slot.

Brand very much matters with a power supply. I would use, for example, a quality 500W over a budget 600W, any day. It's not about peak theoretical output, it's about sustained output & current.

From the part number, it's a Task power supply. I don't know the brand at all, so for safety's sake I'd assume it's 450W-equivalent.

HamieSam
11-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Would 450w be enough? I'm assuming the powersupply comes with the case? in that cast wouldn't it be suited for what the case is suited?

I've read reviews saying the 4770 does almost the same as the 4870 but at lower power consumtion is this correct and is it better to match the brand of the motherboard to the gfx or does it not matter? and if i got a 9800gt say, is there a chance i can run it and my 8600gt in SLI?

SolMiester
11-09-2009, 12:09 PM
It sounds like you have 3 memory dimms, and therefore running single channel 4gb....sell the 2bg dimm and buy either 2 x1 or 2 x 2gb for 6gb total....dont worry about speed of the RAM, your CPU is too slow to realise anything faster....as for graphics....my 9600GT runs most games okay at 1650x1050, so the 4850 (real cheap now) will be great...

HamieSam
11-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Are you sure 800 wouldn't be better? whats my FSB speed on the 5600 athlon?

inphinity
11-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Would 450w be enough? I'm assuming the powersupply comes with the case? in that cast wouldn't it be suited for what the case is suited?

I've read reviews saying the 4770 does almost the same as the 4870 but at lower power consumtion is this correct and is it better to match the brand of the motherboard to the gfx or does it not matter? and if i got a 9800gt say, is there a chance i can run it and my 8600gt in SLI?

The case doesn't really care what components are in it, as long as they physically fit.

The PSU should be ok, provided it is in good condition.

The 4770 is close to the 4870 in performance, yes, so for bang for buck may offer a better option if you can save $60 or so. If its only $30 in it, I'd get the 4870.

No, you can't SLi different nVidia cards. ATi CrossFire supports different cards.

Matching the brands doesn't matter, as long as both are decent brands. Matching chipset manufacturers can sometimes help, depending on the specifics. I suspect with an nForce 500 it won't matter.

pctek
11-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Case: Ninja

Power Supply - 520Watt Seems

Current Video Card - Gforce 8600GT 256mb DDR3 PCI-E

I'm looking around the $200-250 NZD price mark for a gfx card.

Its a Raidmax. PSU. Known for a high failure rate.

$250 is very low for a Graphics card.
ALWAYS spend as much as you can on it. It's the single most important thing in the whole PC for gaming.

If you have to budget - then budget on everything else, not the card.
For $250 the ATI 4870 is the only thing worth bothering with.

HamieSam
11-09-2009, 04:26 PM
ok so based on my machine with the 4870 wat brand 4870 shuld i get?

hueybot3000
11-09-2009, 04:37 PM
Doesnt really matter, just go with a decent brand like asus,gigabyte, xfx. Whatever cheapest of those 3 really

Blam
11-09-2009, 09:28 PM
+1 to Hueybots comment.

HamieSam
12-09-2009, 08:41 AM
Is this around what I should be looking for?

http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?products_id=34574

Also to double check will this run on my 550w power supply, assuming its capable of only 450w? not looking to have to upgrade everything... :)

HamieSam
12-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Also about 20 bucks different is

http://www.nzoczone.com/product_info.php?products_id=31212

FIAT LUX
12-09-2009, 12:34 PM
I think that there has been written a lot of very good sensible advice in this thread with respext to power-supplies and graphics cards.

However , I would just like to remark that no-one at all, as far as I have seen, has given any thought to the prospective power consumption of the graphics card - other than wondering if the PSU could deliver the power (which is also a very appropriate question to raise) .
But when I recently went and invested in a graphics card I took my electrical bill into consideration. So even though my my purse might have strecthed to a NVIDIA GTS 250 based Graphis card , or its ATI equivalent , I actually went out and bought a "9800GT - 1024MB green line", So OK I will not be able to play at highest reolution and extreme games perhaps but then atleast I'll only burn off 75 Watts power consumption from the graphics card , and considering the price on electricity and the hours my computer runs I thought it made sense.
Anyway , when the 9800GT is "completely useless" for being "just TOOO OLD" perhaps then I'll have saved a lot of money on my electricity bill so I can go out and buy something new that at that time will yield more at lower power consumption.....

Well - but this was just my "two cents" I guess....

Happy gaming :thumbs:

Blam
12-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Get the XFX. But not from OCZone....they have the worst services and are even worse when you need to RMA...

pctek
12-09-2009, 04:04 PM
However , I would just like to remark that no-one at all, as far as I have seen, has given any thought to the prospective power consumption of the graphics card -

But when I recently went and invested in a graphics card I took my electrical bill into consideration. So I actually went out and bought a "9800GT -

Really.

I bought a 4870x2 a while ago now, I then had to buy a 750w to power it (650w was minimum).
Can't say I've noticed any difference at all to my power bill. Not even a little bit.

FIAT LUX
13-09-2009, 12:06 AM
Really.

I bought a 4870x2 a while ago now, I then had to buy a 750w to power it (650w was minimum).
Can't say I've noticed any difference at all to my power bill. Not even a little bit.

Well.... That would also depend on what else you got going and your other activities wouldn't it ? And if you are running a 4870x2 and "750w to power it" ("real power" ?) I don't think that keeping an eye on the power consumption is on the top of your list ! ;)
But Hey ! , no need to "bicker" over this - I understand that "HamieSam" is going for a "gaming rig" and i did write that I thought that a lot of sensible advice had been given by others, but as this is a forum I didn't think that a little perspective on things would hurt.....
Anyway ! - Isn't "being/going green" something that N.Z. is known for ?
I watched something on "the flat" (or were it the tube?) that told that N.Z. had invented the "green dollar" (swapping of work and services rather than using "real" money) :thumbs:
But really ! , people ought to keep an eye on how much power things take to run.... Alas we can't be computer users and get high performance, very nice pictures and a "rich multimedia" experience without burning off a lot of power.
My point , when buying my own graphics card , were that I were not out to get the most extreme performance but just something "reasonably" performing. I can see that as long as a lot of other items are burning of extreme amounts of energy I'll have to "save energy" elsewhere... My present "screen" for one , I could get by with a smaller one if I were sitting a little closer to it (and I got something smaller bought already - just need to get around to "making the necessary arrangements"), but my present "screen" recently came in a "newer technology" version only consuming 40% of what the one I uses now consumes - problem is I don't have the funds to swap/switch the "big" screen just yet....

But hey! (again) - it all doesn't mean that I can't introduce power consumption as a factor to consider (also) when buying something new !
(right ?)
(And b.t.w. , I don't think that you come from a place where half or two thirds, or whatever, of your electricity bill is taxes or per watt goverment "penalties"/"duties" - but I do ! :help: ;) )

pctek
13-09-2009, 08:30 AM
And if you are running a 4870x2 and "750w to power it" ("real power" ?) I don't think that keeping an eye on the power consumption is on the top of your list ! ;)

But really ! , people ought to keep an eye on how much power things take to run.... Alas we can't be computer users and get high performance, very nice pictures and a "rich multimedia" experience without burning off a lot of power.

There are tons of PC power calculators out there to use. Go try one. You'll be surprised at how little you really need.
And as for a 750w, its WATT, not KW. The thing that consumes the most power in a household is electric heaters, clothes dryers and such. Add on heated towel rails, plasma TVs permannetly on and stuff and there's something to pay attention to, not your PC gaming.

Be sensible and do your research first.

gary67
13-09-2009, 08:42 AM
Yep so true we turn almost everything off at the wall at night only leave on the fridge and freezer seen the bill drop a reasonable amount

FIAT LUX
13-09-2009, 10:35 AM
There are tons of PC power calculators out there to use. Go try one. You'll be surprised at how little you really need.
And as for a 750w, its WATT, not KW. The thing that consumes the most power in a household is electric heaters, clothes dryers and such. Add on heated towel rails, plasma TVs permannetly on and stuff and there's something to pay attention to, not your PC gaming.

Be sensible and do your research first.

Actually , I've done plenty of research, and if you tried to read my previous message with another pair of glasses you might even see that I actually do understand "where you are comming from" .
But like "Gary67" writes then they turn of everything off at night except necessities (and have "seen the bill drop a reasonable amount ") so actually some people "got the message" already.

Where I live people are even being made aware, through TV commercials, of the collective consumption of having things standing on "stand by" rather than off. It's all kinds of things from TVs' , DVD players anden even PC's (Yes! , and we actually talk just "standby" power consumption awareness) .
So NO! I don't think I'm "off the track here" and I actually have done my homework".
Where I live it's actually only a few days or weeks since the newspaper headline hit people with a warning about the standby power consumption AND power consumption of all the youngsters modern multimedia devices - including PC's , so I guess that its all a matter of attitude...
You obviously think that I'm way wrong and "vice versa" so we could discuss this like forever....
But don't you think that we should "leave the floor" to someone who wants to discuss "Recommendations for Upgrading Graphics and Ram Welcome" rather than making the whole thread about power consumption just because that you are unable or unwilling to see my point ??? (which were only to introduce power consumption as a factor to consider when buying PC equipment !!!!)(and NOT trying to make the whole thread end in a power consumption discussion !!!)

HamieSam
14-09-2009, 08:51 AM
haha so all this boils down to a 450w psu being fine? :P

Blam
14-09-2009, 09:19 AM

It would be fine if it was a decent brand.

Its your choice really. Just keep in mind that if the PSU dies it could kill the other parts with it...

FIAT LUX
14-09-2009, 10:01 AM

If you buy quality you got a better chance that the PSU will actually deliver what it says (like 450 W) , but these days you can also look out for noise level , PSU power efficiency (one would try to aquire a PSU certified for atleast 80% efficiency (http://www.80plus.org/)) , and especially if it got all the new plugs for things if you need to buy a new one. I do not know what your eventual Graphics card will require of power but if it needs seperate power input you'll have to make sure that either your PSU got the plugs or that you got the cabling ready !
If you don't care about powerconsumption from your Graphics card and even consider upgrading your Graphics card to SLI or another Graphics card that are even more powerconsuming you might as well buy a more powerfull PSU right away if you are going to buy.

I just bought a PSU the other day and though I "only" needed a 450 Watt PSU I bought a reasonably quality , but cheap one , I expected to deliver less than it said so I bought a 600 Watt just to be on the safe side , on the other hand it only takes 0.9 Watt standby power.