PDA

View Full Version : Advice on new system

palimpsest
10-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Hi all, I am hoping you can give me some advice on the best way to go get the computing experience I need. I have an Asus Eee 701, Linux OS with a Vodem stick. And I really love its portability, ease of use on day to day tasks etc. I really like being able to carry it in my handbag and have the internet, all my files and all my emails where ever I go. However it is starting to get a little old (the left trackpad key no longer works, nor does the letter 'p'), and I am finding it very frustrating not being able to easily download things. I have used the Synaptic package manger successfully once, however have also had numerous issues with it. I miss the Windows experience of 'click to download' and its done. Also my 6yr old daughter is using the computer more and more and a number of her games etc dont work too well on the small screen.
So I am thinking either I need to somehow get Windows onto this computer and purchase an external LCD monitor, and probably a ext. hard drive to extend storage, or do I get a complete new desktop, and/or netbook?
Trying to figure out the most logical, cheap, and efficient way to have portability, and all my files with me, whilst also having the ease of Windows downloads and a big enough screen to play games etc. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas or suggestions on how to make the most of what I have?? Thanks!

hueybot3000
10-09-2009, 06:30 PM
Welcome to PressF1!

It sounds like what you need is a 15" Laptop, Although it wont fit in your handbag, but they are about as portable as youl get unless you buy a new Asus Eeepc

Blam
10-09-2009, 08:12 PM
External Monitor+EHD=$350~

A decent new Laptop=$1000~

Your choice really. Or you could sell this 701 and get something like the eee 1000HA, which has a 10.2" screen, which *might* just be enough for ya.

Blam