PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else on Xtra had a freebie phone offer?

nofam
10-09-2009, 09:10 AM
Had a call from Xtra last night saying that my 1 year broadband contract had expired, and if I was prepared to re-sign for another year I could have either a wireless keyboard and mouse or some headphones!

Had no plans to change at any rate, as I'm only 1 Km from the exchange, and my ADSL2+ is nice n quick, so it was an easy choice.

:punk

Trev
10-09-2009, 11:30 AM
The title of your post sounds as if Xtra are giving away free phones.
:)

nofam
10-09-2009, 12:27 PM
The title of your post sounds as if Xtra are giving away free phones.
:)

Apologies for any ambiguity. . . . . maybe

:p

beetle
10-09-2009, 12:52 PM
i have (slightly off tak here) had a flyer to me in the mail from telecom saying join XT network thingy, free something and a phone i think? this is because i currently have 2 cellphones thro them i guess, cos i dont have the net with them.
saying i should be on there special calling rate etc, and as i mostly txt its a bit pointless, only use the phone to call people when am stuck where there is no landline.

not intested of course, comes down to i am happy with what i have, and see no need to change.

just a new useless peice of beetle info for you all:p

beetle

robbyp
10-09-2009, 01:19 PM
Had a call from Xtra last night saying that my 1 year broadband contract had expired, and if I was prepared to re-sign for another year I could have either a wireless keyboard and mouse or some headphones!

Had no plans to change at any rate, as I'm only 1 Km from the exchange, and my ADSL2+ is nice n quick, so it was an easy choice.

:punk

There is a major downside. If you didn't esign up to another year contract, and you were to cancel tommorrow, you wouldn't have to pay any penalty, and are free to switch to any provider. However if you signed a year contract, you will be forced to pay a penalty if a better offer from another ISP comes along, and you want to switch. At the most a keyboard/mouse would cost $40-$50, so is it really worth it? I avoid those types of contracts.

seltsam
10-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I signed up with Telecom broadband to lock in for 12 months (less than a year ago) and they threw in a free cordless phone, on the condition I'd have to pay back $100 if I broke the contract.
Well, Vodafone made me a great offer to move 2 phone lines + broadband to them, including $100 discount to cover the Telecom penalty.
Then the final bill from Telecom came without any penalty! :clap

Cato
10-09-2009, 02:25 PM
seltsam: nice deal!

Yeah, don't go for it. Contracts are evil - unless they were giving you a really good offer I wouldn't extend the contract. Freedom to chose I guess, but that's just me.

AvonBill
10-09-2009, 04:30 PM
A year or two back Telecom gave us a very nice cordless phone out of the blue. There were no strings. We have a standard phone line with them, but that's all. Telecom isn't our ISP and they don't get our tolls!

nofam
10-09-2009, 05:25 PM
There is a major downside. If you didn't esign up to another year contract, and you were to cancel tommorrow, you wouldn't have to pay any penalty, and are free to switch to any provider. However if you signed a year contract, you will be forced to pay a penalty if a better offer from another ISP comes along, and you want to switch. At the most a keyboard/mouse would cost $40-$50, so is it really worth it? I avoid those types of contracts.

Yeah fair point - break fee is actually $199, but why would I change? Call me cynical, but every ISP's offer is pretty homogeneous IMHO, and I don't really care about tolls etc - I guess I'm a pretty standard user.

And despite everyone slagging off Xtra, I've never had any problems, and the speed here is consistently good. Mind you, if I did have problems, I wouldn't go to my ISP about it unless it was a last resort!! :nerd: