PDA

View Full Version : Mouse and mousekeys not working

jareemon
09-09-2009, 09:25 PM
im having problems with my optical wired ps2 mouse, most of the time it works fine, then sometimes it will just freeze and stop working. the optical light stays on, and still goes brighter when i move it, but the pointer doesnt budge. After restarting, it still doesnt work. but then say when i turn my computer on in the morning, it works fine, and sometimes for the whole day, sometimes for just 15 minutes.
I thought to use mousekeys, where you control the mouse pointer with the numpad, which i have done in the past a long time ago on a different computer, but they simply do not work whatsoever, i have looked at the settings to make sure everything is right, but nothing seems to be wrong, i try it with the numlock on and off, but nothing. then when i have a look at the hardware device manager, there is no mention of a mouse being connected to the computer. I have done a little research and from what i read learned that it was most likely a problem with the motherboard mouse ps2 input, but i am not convinced on account of the keyboard mousekeys not working, yet the rest of the keyboard works fine. the numlock and numkeys work fine.
I am very intregued by this problem as it seem quite interesting - i am not satisfied at the possible conclusion of it being a motherboard problem.
Any one have any ideas?
Kind Regards
Jared

Speedy Gonzales
09-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Whats the brand/model of the mobo?

jareemon
09-09-2009, 09:40 PM
its a MSI 875P Neo

jareemon
09-09-2009, 09:44 PM
P4 2.8 HT, 512x2 (dual ch) ddr400, the mouse itself is "Excel AM-1510-P" which returns no results on google. XP pro. the keyboard is also ps2.

Speedy Gonzales
09-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Have you tried another PS/2 mouse / kb? To rule out the ones you've got? And to see if the port isnt dead? Is this the Neo Fisr (PCB 2), or the LSR/Fisr mobo?

convair
09-09-2009, 10:01 PM
removed

wainuitech
09-09-2009, 10:47 PM
This may sound like a dumb question - but its not - What size HDD do you have on this PC.

The reason I'm asking is I have one of those boards in the cupboard - never really used it - - IF you put an 80GB drive on it plays up (tried several different makes of drives all the same), with different problems - any other size drive is fine -- Real strange.

jareemon
10-09-2009, 09:12 AM
Have you tried another PS/2 mouse / kb? To rule out the ones you've got? And to see if the port isnt dead? Is this the Neo Fisr (PCB 2), or the LSR/Fisr mobo?
Its the High-spec one - neo fis2r.
I havent cos for some reason i dont have a spare mouse haha
my old mobo was working fine tho (literally old like P2)
So there is a chance that it could be a ps2 port problem. HOWEVER:
I am convinced otherwise, as the mousekeys only work when the mouse itself works, so when the mouse isnt working, i turn on the mousekeys, try to use the numpad to control the mouse pointer, but its just stuck there... also the optical light on the mouse itself stil reacts to movement by brightening the red light.

jareemon
10-09-2009, 09:14 AM
This may sound like a dumb question - but its not - What size HDD do you have on this PC.

The reason I'm asking is I have one of those boards in the cupboard - never really used it - - IF you put an 80GB drive on it plays up (tried several different makes of drives all the same), with different problems - any other size drive is fine -- Real strange.
I am running 2 x raptors at 36gig each. SATA, was going to run RAID0 but it didnt work :( so theyre just running seperatly, both are on the intel controller as opposed to the promise controller.

jareemon
10-09-2009, 09:29 AM
just to elaborate, when the mouse IS working, the mousekeys work also.
and when the mouse works, the mouse is shown in the device manager as ps2 compatible mouse, 'device is working properly', using irq 12 with no conflicts, driver is the latest one availible (2001)

Zippity
10-09-2009, 10:24 AM
It may sound dumb, but have you checked/changed the batteries? :(

jareemon
10-09-2009, 10:26 AM
It may sound dumb, but have you checked/changed the batteries? :(
its a corded mouse

Sweep
10-09-2009, 10:30 AM
But its an Optical mouse is it not? Most optical mouses need batteries if not all.

jareemon
10-09-2009, 10:32 AM
But its an Optical mouse is it not? Most optical mouses need batteries if not all.
Um... not unless i have been living under a rock for the last 10 years..?