PDA

View Full Version : Installing Windows XP Home

learning
09-09-2009, 08:22 PM
I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and since the HDD crashed got a new one and tryign to install Win XP Home except the only problem is that i dont have the CD that came with it originally.

Its got the Product Key sticker on its side however with the Product key

I tried to see search Dell website to see if they will allow downloading of OS CD but cant seem to find it.

Do they not allow to download OEM or recovery CD or a online version of OS that you can install and use the CD key from the PC box sticker?

Any other tip/work around will be appreciated

Speedy Gonzales
09-09-2009, 08:27 PM
I think you can ring them for recovery cd's / dvd. But it may cost. The cd that you've got, does it have a key?? If it does, you can use it. Only thing is, you'll have to redownload the drivers then install them

learning
09-09-2009, 08:47 PM
I think you can ring them for recovery cd's / dvd. But it may cost. The cd that you've got, does it have a key?? If it does, you can use it. Only thing is, you'll have to redownload the drivers then install them

No i don thave the CD coz its lost i bought the PC several years ago.

Yeah if no luck then i will have to call them i suppose

jwil1
09-09-2009, 09:28 PM
Just get a vanilla XP Home disc from someone around here, and use the key on the machine. Perfectly legal :)

Chris09
10-09-2009, 08:28 AM
I've got the ISO files for XP Home SP 2, XP Pro SP 3, Vista Home Basic (I think) SP1, Vista Home Premium SP3. Would it be all good if I put it on my server, and people could download it from there? I don't think that's illegal right?

They just have to use their own CD keys.

Speedy Gonzales
10-09-2009, 08:36 AM
Should be alright. Where did they come from?? The MS site or did you make them with something like Nlite?? If Nlite, did you test them first??

Chris09
10-09-2009, 10:33 AM
They came from original MS OS CDs we have at the shop, just made in to ISOs on the computer to write them on to more CDs to install on multiple PCs so we're more efficent.

Never heard of Nlite so I've learned something today!

I suppose just zipped up would be fine eh? I know how difficult it is to get a OS CD from suppliers.

Regarding last post: Vista Home Premium SP1 not SP3. Opps.

Speedy Gonzales
10-09-2009, 11:15 AM
MM, dont know if you can do that if theyre in a shop. Since if you download the ISO, its not buying it is it?? All you're doing, is saving the person from buying the OS / CD. I would say it is illegal.

hueybot3000
10-09-2009, 04:18 PM
The key is all your paying for with windows though, the cd itself is worth about $3

learning
10-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Well yeah i called Dell an dthey wanna charge me for sending out CD and shipping etc

I actually got a retail copy of Win XP Home and ran thru the install and when it prompted for key, i entered the product key from the sticker on the Dell PC. It will NOT accept it and keeps saying invalid :(

Infact initially i had a perfectly genuine legitly owned Win XP Pro that i tried to install on the DELL PC. After install, and after couple of reboots Win started giving warning about activating it. And the PC was not even connected to internet.

I think the Dell BIOS triggers a non OEM Win to prompt for Activation, coz i had installed same Win XP Pro on a diff hom built PC and it never prompted for activation.
BTW this DELL PC had Win XP Home when i bought it

Just wondering if i need a OEM Copy of Windows or something ??
What is vanilla copy and can i download it from somewhere?

gary67
10-09-2009, 05:52 PM
I would guess you will have to use an OEM copy although XP home usually works of any type but XP pro will not