PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning a laser printer

somebody
09-09-2009, 10:22 AM
I have a Canon LBP-5100 colour laser printer, and if I set it to print in auto duplexing mode, one side of the page will have some residue of toner on it (makes the paper look slightly marbled).

I suspect it's just due to some toner building up or leaking somewhere, and it just needs a bit of a clean. What do I use to clean it, and what should I be looking for? Is there an "excess toner" tray or something that might need to be emptied?

wainuitech
09-09-2009, 02:01 PM
Have a look through the online FAQ (http://support-nz.canon.co.nz/EN/search?v%3aproject=AAF-EN&v%3afile=viv_DMubJ5&v:state=root|root-20-20|0&sid=6) ESP # 31

somebody
09-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Cheers - I'll give it a go but I don't think it's the fixing roller that's at fault.

If I print single-sided, it's fine - it's only if I print in duplex mode that the residue comes out.

linw
09-09-2009, 05:24 PM
Very best of luck! Colour lasers have SO many places toner can leak from/to!

Poppa John
09-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Had to do this once with an office Laser Printer at where I worked.

Took out the cartridges (?). Put on a pair of thin rubber gloves & wiped everthing down with toilet paper. At the end I put on clean gloves & did a once over incase I mixed last traces of colour.

Ran a few sheets thro & was ok. Earned me a bottle of wine that did.

Just a bit of useless info!! PJ

somebody
09-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Had to do this once with an office Laser Printer at where I worked.

Took out the cartridges (?). Put on a pair of thin rubber gloves & wiped everthing down with toilet paper. At the end I put on clean gloves & did a once over incase I mixed last traces of colour.

Ran a few sheets thro & was ok. Earned me a bottle of wine that did.

Just a bit of useless info!! PJ

Is there anything in particular I shouldn't touch? Did you use any liquids, or was it just dry toilet paper?

Billy T
10-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Is there anything in particular I shouldn't touch? Did you use any liquids, or was it just dry toilet paper?

I wouldn't use toilet paper, it releases too much fluffy dust. I'd use good quality tissues which are dust free (for sensitive types).

Don't use the tissues impregnated with some kind of skin cream stuff either (lanolin?), they will probably leave streaky marks in the printing, they don't clean glasses very well either, leaving smears everywhere.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

somebody
10-09-2009, 06:07 PM
I wouldn't use toilet paper, it releases too much fluffy dust. I'd use good quality tissues which are dust free (for sensitive types).

Don't use the tissues impregnated with some kind of skin cream stuff either (lanolin?), they will probably leave streaky marks in the printing, they don't clean glasses very well either, leaving smears everywhere.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Thanks - I'll give it a go.

Poppa John
10-09-2009, 08:28 PM

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

He is right but...there were only two women working in the building & I doubt they would have parted with any tissues they had in their handbags !!! PJ

andrew93
11-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Are the marks caused by toner? And if so, is it baked onto the page or can you smudge it?

Are you using a recycled or genuine cartridge? I can't quite picture a 'marbled' effect - does it look like very small sprinkles of toner? Often toner 'sprinkle' is associated with a deteriorating cartridge. Are you able to fit a replacement and test it? In my experience replacing the toner cartridge fixes about 90% of print quality problems.

You mentioned it only happens when duplexing - I'm not familiar with that model but you may want to check the area in which the page gets turned over - this is usually in the rear of the printer. If toner has accumulated there then that will also appear on one side of the page when duplexing.

Underneath where the cartridge sits is a long thin black roller which has a spongy texture - this is the transfer charge roller (it may go by a different name on the Canon models). You definitely do not want to get that wet nor touch it with your fingertips (ie grease & moisture), otherwise you are up for a new one.

For cleaning, there is nothing wrong with using Isopropyl alcohol as a cleaner inside printers, so long as you use it sparingly. I also recommend using a Chux cloth rather than tissues or toilet paper. Use a clean paint brush to brush away any excess dust and/or toner before you use any liquids. And of course, unplug the printer before you start working on it.

Andrew

somebody
11-09-2009, 03:20 PM
Andrew: It's really hard to describe, as it's not "sprinkles" as such, as it had a bit of a pattern that looked like pale grey marble floor tiles.

I had a go at wiping down the duplexing mechanism (which in this printer is at the front of the machine) with some dry toilet paper - didn't have any tissues floating around unfortunately so I did so very carefully to avoid leaving bits of tissue fibre in the printer. It seems to have largely dealt with the problem - there was a relatively large plastic belt which was covered in some excess toner - after wiping that off it seems to have sorted the problem.

Thanks everyone for your help.

dustingold09
16-09-2009, 01:50 AM
I have a Canon LBP-5100 colour laser printer, and if I set it to print in auto duplexing mode, one side of the page will have some residue of toner on it (makes the paper look slightly marbled).

I suspect it's just due to some toner building up or leaking somewhere, and it just needs a bit of a clean. What do I use to clean it, and what should I be looking for? Is there an "excess toner" tray or something that might need to be emptied?

Here are some for cleaning laser printer-

1. Don your mask and latex gloves.
2. Open the printer and gently remove the toner cartridge or toner bottle.
3. Use your “activated” toner cloth and wipe the toner cartridge. Place the cartridge aside on another activated toner cloth.
4. Use your toner vacuum to remove spilled toner from within the printer’s internal compartment. Try to prevent the vacuum’s nozzle from actually touching any of the printer's internal surfaces.
5. Use your paintbrush to remove toner from any crevices. Use gentle motions and vacuum as necessary.
6. Many laser printers use very fine wires (called corona wires) that are often exposed. If your printer has such wires, take care to avoid vacuuming or brushing them. Breaking a corona wire can be a costly mistake. Dip a cotton swab into isopropyl alcohol and gently run it along the length of the wire. Also be sure to clean the underside of the wires. Never apply pressure.
7. Reinsert the toner cartridge, close the printer, reconnect the power cord, and you are done.

sroby
16-09-2009, 11:51 AM
compressed air works really well in mono printers (carefuly), followed by a vaccuum.

I doubt you'll see many corona wires nowdays. However some charge rollers can sometimes be ruined by trying to clean them.

I love the smell of toner dust in the morning, puts a healthy coating on the lungs :-)

dustingold09
16-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Laser printers are more expensive than ink-jet printers and don’t work by laying downc ink on the paper.If you want to cleaning the laser printer yourself, it will void the warranty, So I suggest against it. Instead this,you should purchase the manufacturer’s printer cleaning kit and follow the directions there, or take the printer to a service center.