PDA

View Full Version : How do I find a corrupt video file

kiwibits
08-09-2009, 02:24 PM
Hi all. I have a media player type portable hard drive which plugs into a Tv. However its not managing to access the file system on the hard drive. I think it maybe a corrut video file (or maybe other type as I use it for backup as well). There are 1000's of files on the drive. How can I find out which one is guilty? It works fine when used as a portable hard drive pluged into the computer so I can access the drive to sort it out i just need to know how>
TIA

Blam
08-09-2009, 03:20 PM
One corrupt video file won't affect the others.

If the media player cannot access the filesystem, its likely that you have the drive formatted as NTFS, which most media players do not support.

You will need to format it as fat32(right click drive>fomat). Copy the data to another location first.

Blam

kiwibits
08-09-2009, 04:09 PM
It used to work but if nothing else come up I'lll try that. Ta for the help

kiwibits
08-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I read the instructions (actualy I got my wife to, i was afraid some of my personal bits my fall off) and its meant to work with NTFS as well as PAL.

Cato
08-09-2009, 04:25 PM
NTFS is a file system (not the NTSC TV/Video standard).

But if it worked before and it's not working now. Try and run a surface test on it, and see if there are any errors on it.

A single video files should not cause any problems to the whole system.

What exactly is that media player?

Speedy Gonzales
08-09-2009, 04:40 PM
I wouldnt format it to FAT32, otherwise whatever files you xfer to it, (if you can), cant be over 4 GB

linw
08-09-2009, 05:46 PM
The problem could be that the TV system scans to create thumbnails? If it encounters a bad file, it hangs. This can happen with windows.

Metla
08-09-2009, 05:48 PM
I've had this in the past, I had to find it by a process of elimination, Remove half the videos and see what happens, if it hangs then remove half again, and again, until your down to the corrupt file.

Blam
08-09-2009, 08:39 PM
I wouldnt format it to FAT32, otherwise whatever files you xfer to it, (if you can), cant be over 4 GB

98% of MediaPlayers(the ones off TM) do not support NTFS!

Kiwibits: I think you're confusing NTSC with NTFS...but since was working previously, this probably isn't the problem.

Try doing a chkdsk /r on it.

Run>cmd>chkdsk X: /r

Replace X with the drive letter of the media player.

Blam

gary67
08-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Most cheap freeview boxes with USB such as mine and Metla's will only read a drive in FAT32

Metla
08-09-2009, 08:49 PM
Run>cmd>chkdsk X: /r

Replace X with the drive letter of the media player.

Blam

If its a corrupted video file that will do nothing.

Each video file has a little tag built into it saying what it is,how long it is, and some other info, when an app looks at the video file it reads this tag, if the tag is damaged or doesn't match the file then the system can hang.

Some of them can cause Windows to lock solid or crash, sometimes its the media player that crashes,and sometimes all is fine until you try and feed that media file into an editor. And sometimes an app will notice the corruption and fix it.......

Anyhow, In the event the file is read by a hardware player the exact same scenario can happen, It reads all the files to build an index to display,hits the corrupt file and crap happens.

Blam
08-09-2009, 08:58 PM
Why do you think its a corrupt video file thats causing this?

The OP says that the media player cannot access the filesystem....and therefore thinking along the links of a corrupted filesystem I recommend running a chkdsk on it.

Metla
08-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Why do you think its a corrupt video file thats causing this?

The OP says that the media player cannot access the file system....and therefore thinking along the links of a corrupted file system I recommend running a chkdsk on it.

Because that is what the thread starter suspects, and he is asking for help in identifying a corrupt video file.

The behaviour is along the right lines, as I said the lock up can happen when the app is trying to build an index of the files on the disc/disk.

linw
08-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Blam, windows can do it if it tries to open a folder with vids in view icons mode. It first opens every file to display an icon. I've had this problem myself with a crook vid file - locked up every time.

Like Metla says, it can still be perfectly good from a file system point of view.

Might be interesting to try viewing the folder in details versus icons mode.

kiwibits
09-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi all, ta for the help. I tried doing the standard scandisk thing to no avail, i'll try Blam6's idea with the chkdsk. The reason I think it maybe a corupt file is thats all that's changed between times I've used it, however I maybe wrong. The media box is a avox (i think- its at work and I'm not) Anyway its not a cheapy, just anoying. It does create thumbnails which is another reason I think it maybe a corrupt file. If the chkdsk doesn't work I guess I'll just have to start deleting files untill something good happens.