PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use (or used) an ASUS P5PL2-E mobo ?

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Went to a mates place yesterday, to clean out his system. It was full of dust. And to remove adware / spyware.

While I was there, it went haywire. On nearly every 2nd reboot, it kept saying BIOS recovery on the post screen, and was looking for the cd or floppy (probably a screwed BIOS). I couldnt fix it there and then, because it didnt have a floppy, and he had no blank cds. Funny that its only been saying this recently (when it was fixed the last time my mate brought it round here, like 3-4 mths ago). The whole thing died.

It turned on before, BUT wouldnt / couldnt detect anything at all. I had to use a cd to flash the BIOS. Does this sound like a faulty mobo, since its done the same thing twice (corrupted BIOS)? Or a stuffed BIOS chip?

I'm going to flash the BIOS again (somehow). I may have to send an iso of the rom to him thru teamviewer. Then install something to burn it, then get him to put it in the cd to reflash it. To see if it sticks this time. Not too sure if its because the BIOS I flashed before was a beta. But if this is the prob, why would it start playing up (after 3-4 mths)??

pctek
07-09-2009, 04:38 PM
If it's done it before, I wouldn't bother - just RMA it.

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Thats what I was thinking, I'll have to check with him , to see how old it is.

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Its about 3 yrs old. Can it still be RMA'ed?? He's over the Nth Shore

wainuitech
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM
As long as it with in its warranty it can be RMA'ed, even if it had 1 day left.

Depending on if its RMA'ed from a shop , or the supplier - some shops put on a 1-2 year warranty , but the actual manufactures warranty may be three years.

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2009, 05:29 PM
Hmm ok well he says its about 3 yrs old. BUT, he may have to find the documentation to prove it? It may or may not be a known issue with this mobo, I dont know. Other than that, I told him he may as well replace the mobo and I'll reinstall it / the OS. Or he can get the CPU / take the case in, and the shop can install the mobo / CPU. And I'll reinstall the OS

pctek
07-09-2009, 10:25 PM
- some shops put on a 1-2 year warranty

Some shops rip you off but that doesn't mean they can legally get away with that.

It's 3 years for ASUS boards.