PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 64bit Professional Issues

b00mtastik
07-09-2009, 10:17 AM
HP Pavillion DV5 1005AX Laptop
AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-70 2.00GHz
HD 3450 ATI Graphics Card
64bit Windows 7 Professional
3.00 GB Ram (Will be upgrading soon to either 4 or 8)

My problem is:

When I installed, everything was fine. Everything ran smoothly, I was quite happy with how it was running. Did some large files transfers from by TB Drive, no problems. Installed a few new programs, no problems.

How ever when browsing on the net, using Chrome, I noticed that every 40-60 seconds, the browser would lag for 0.5 to 1 seconds. I know it wasn't system lag, because the music playing in the background was fine, no stuttering. But the browser would freeze for that moment, and I would continue to type, and it would show up after 1-2 seconds even sometimes.

Now one thing I noticed is that as I'm typing all this now, its stopped doing that. Altogether. But when loading up new browser pages, it'll start up again. While it happened the first time, I was blogging on my site, using wordpress. Music is still playing in the background.

My first thoughts were: It could be the virtual layer in windows running the 32bit apps that could be causing the stuttering, but if that was the case, that would have happened with everything, not just browsing ?

Any ideas from anyone ? I'm pretty sure it could just be Chrome...
Will try Mozilla and IE to be sure and update.

Agent_24
07-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Welcome to PressF1!

Blam
07-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Can you check the event log (run>eventvwr)

Might bring us closer to what the cause may be.

Chilling_Silence
07-09-2009, 12:11 PM
You using the latest Chrome beta? Or by any chance is that typing just happening on pages such as Facebook?

Welcome to PF1 :)

Agent_24
07-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I think his problems were caused from using the default windows video card drivers (but we'll see about that later...)

b00mtastik
07-09-2009, 04:09 PM
First off, thanks for the welcomes.

You using the latest Chrome beta?)
No, the only pages that has happened on is wordpress blog while using Chrome, and then randomly every now and then on IE and IE 64bit.

Firefox on portableapps was fine. Facebook, forums, and google were fine on all 3 browsers.

Will post event log when/if it happens again.
Later this evening will update to latest video drivers and south bridge drivers from ATI and see if this fixes the problem. :thumbs:

Blam
07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Can you provide a link to the specific blog?

b00mtastik
07-09-2009, 04:37 PM
http://nitish.co.nz/b00mtastik

b00mtastik
07-09-2009, 08:29 PM
:banana

So it has been fixed. I updated the drivers from the generic MS to ATI proper.

It seems to be holding so far. I feel ashamed as a computing student to not have found that as a root cause, but I'm sure we all learn along the way.

Thanks for those that helped.

Agent_24
08-09-2009, 10:42 AM
Good to see that works. Usually the default drivers are not optimized for performance.

If you can get proper drivers for anything they are usually better than whatever Microsoft gives you

Also, Windows update usually gives you bad drivers too