PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Problems

stormdragon
06-09-2009, 08:31 PM
My graphics drivers seem to be constantly having issues.

Sometimes they crash and I get presented with a randomly coloured screen, when I restart, I can the whole windows startup and login screens but as soon as I've logged in and should be getting the desktop I get another randomly coloured screen, os loads fine in the background as I can go win+r, shutdown.exe and get things shutdown no problem.

Othertimes I mange to login and simply get presented with a cursor and no desktop, screen will randomly flash through, ctrl+alt+del will bring up the options screen to logout, lock etc, but task manager can't be seen.

But then other times the system works perfectly. I can run Crysis, COD4, ANNO1404, COH all at high settings and don't have any issues.

Only way to solve the problem is to boot into safe mode and remove nvidia drivers, reboot allow Windows to install its generic drivers, then reboot into safe mode and install Nvidia drivers.

If drivers crash in Vista then Seven has problems booting the next time and the other way round.

Have tried numerous versions of Nvidia drivers. Been putting up with it for a while but seems to be getting worse now.

Specs: Intel C2Q 9400, Asus P5Q, 8GB DDR2-800, XFX 260GTX Extreme Edition.

Any ideas as to what could be the issue?

Cheers

wainuitech
06-09-2009, 09:02 PM
Could actually be the graphic card playing up, NOT the drivers.

If drivers crash in Vista then Seven has problems booting the next time and the other way round Since you need to reboot and start a different OS, then the Drivers will be in the OS you boot from, not from the Other - by rights the two OS's shouldn't have anything to do with one another.

stormdragon
06-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Thats what I'd been thinking, but wanted someone elses opinion.

Just seems a bit random that uninstalling the drivers fixed it all the time.

Chris09
06-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Might be the actual card playing up, fa sure.

If you are able, I highly recommend downloading, installing and running BurnInTest (http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm). This will pick up any errors with your graphics card, and can be a troubleshoot for you to see what's actually causing the problem. If there are errors with the graphics, then it will most likely be the card itself.

Although it might not be in your cause, if you are able to as well, I highly recommend updating and making sure DirectX is infact up-to-date and installed correctly. You can get the tool here to do so. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2DA43D38-DB71-4C1B-BC6A-9B6652CD92A3&displaylang=en) The reason I bring this up, is the number of cilents I have dealt with had an issue that led to DirectX corruption. May not be the problem or may be apart of the problem.

What I've done in this circumstance is to disable the drivers, and see if Windows Updates can assist. Otherwise you will need to find it yourself, or use a Device Download Driver and hopefully it can help.

Seven? Windows 7? If I understand you correctly you've got Dual Boot?

Well.. different story if that's the case as well, Windows 7 has been reported and reviewed to have issues with graphic cards, and it's drivers. Especially relating to laptops in particular.

I don't know much else you could do other than checking those few things.

Anyway, good luck mate.

EDIT: Just saw your last post. Well, if it's fine without the drivers... then it sounds like a driver issue, no?

stormdragon
06-09-2009, 09:18 PM
Chris, by uninstalling I meant, uninstalling followed by reinstalling them.

Yea dual-boot of Vista Business x64 and Seven Professional x64 RTM

Don't see how dx problems could affect both OS's got a key for 3DMark floating around somewhere so might give that a run also.

If it is a graphics card problem it, just seems weird that it crashes just as often if not more when I'm using the system for standard web browsing/office tasks as high res, high detail gaming.

Chris09
06-09-2009, 09:39 PM
Oh right, apologizes. I don't seem to have my head screwed on lately. :P

So it just started to happen recently?

Well, probably not, but it is one of those factors in graphic issues people forgot about yet it is one of the most simplest.

Hmm, yes. Do run 3Dmark. Give it a thrashing and I do recommend BurnInTest because you might find you have errors elsewhere that could be the catalyst or problem in the future.

Otherwise, repair OSs as a last option. Ya never know? xD

stormdragon
06-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Been happening for a while now just seems to be getting worse, or my patience is wearing thin.

Will see if I can't do a stress test tomorrow.

kahawai chaser
06-09-2009, 10:00 PM
Recently I was getting random colored screen, including on start up. I replaced the battery - a CR3023 (I think). Then it fixed the graphics issue - no random checkered dotted screen. But took me 2 weeks to think of the battery.

supergran
06-09-2009, 10:30 PM
I had the same problem for a month before I finally sent it to my computer fixit man. It hasn't come back yet, but after trying what he said, and him trying to fix it remotely, he said it had to be the 18 month old 8400GS Geforce nvidia card. It happened right after bulk windows downlad, and I thought it may have been connected to that.

stormdragon
07-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Have RMA'ed the card will see if they can find anything wrong with it.