PDA

View Full Version : AMD cpus, mobos, annd HyperTransport...?

forrest44
06-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Hi people

Looking at buying somenew parts soon. Planning to go for an Athlon II or Phenom II, which support the HyperTransport 3.0 spec

If I install the CPU in an older motherboard with a chipset that only supports Hypertransport 1.0 (eg, Geforce 6100 chipset), how much will the performance decrease?

In short, is it worth spending $30 extra to buy a newer hypertransport 3.0 motherboard (eg, Geforce 8200 chipset)?

Also can someone give light to the various technicalities involved?

tia

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2009, 07:08 PM
Info here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypertransport)

Depends if the old mobo supports the CPU

forrest44
06-09-2009, 10:01 PM
Um... yeah I saw that page

Yes, most socket AM2/2+ boards take the newer AM3 cpus, just with a bios update

So should I get a newer motherboard just so I can have Hypertransport 3.0, when a new CPU can work in an older hypertransport 1.0 mobo?

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2009, 11:06 PM
Up to you, its your money. I would check the mobo site first to see if the BIOS update will let you use an AM3 CPU. It may not. Only thing is if it does, the BIOS thats on the mobo (would have to have the update). So, an AM3 CPU will work. Otherwise, you'll have to take it back to the shop, get them to put a lower spec CPU in then flash it. Then put your CPU back in, for it to work

forrest44
06-09-2009, 11:58 PM
Yeah but what I want to know is how much the performance will suffer when using an older motherboard.

Has anyone got any experience here?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
07-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Well ask the shop they should know. If they dont they shouldn't be there

Blam
07-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Hi people

Looking at buying somenew parts soon. Planning to go for an Athlon II or Phenom II, which support the HyperTransport 3.0 spec

If I install the CPU in an older motherboard with a chipset that only supports Hypertransport 1.0 (eg, Geforce 6100 chipset), how much will the performance decrease?

In short, is it worth spending $30 extra to buy a newer hypertransport 3.0 motherboard (eg, Geforce 8200 chipset)?

Also can someone give light to the various technicalities involved?

tia

You probably won't see much of a difference in terms of CPU speed, but your graphics card will suffer. AMD states that HT 3.0 is also used to get video information to PCI-E graphics cards and also other I/O devices at a much higher rate than before. If you compare HT1.0 with HT3.0 in terms of bandwidth, you'll see what I mean

Agent_24
07-09-2009, 01:19 AM
the 6100 is quite old, aside from HT 3.0 the 8200 is better video chip anyway

Don't know if you will see a marked difference between the two in all benchmarks but the newer one is probably a better idea