PDA

View Full Version : Seagate Stopped working

lakewoodlady
05-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Hi all,
My Seagate Free Agent Go has just recently stopped working withing the past few days. I tried to reinstall it and it came up with an error message about a App data file missing. I tried again and the second time it said there was a different file missing. Same thing after third try.
Could it have been upset by some Windows update withing the past few days?

Cheers LL :groan:

gary67
05-09-2009, 04:34 PM
Has there been any nothing in since last month on XP

lakewoodlady
05-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Sorry, forgot to mention that it is on a VISTA machine, Home Premium. The Seagate Ext hdd is 160 BG.

LL

Blam
06-09-2009, 06:05 PM
What do you mean by "reinstalling"?

EHDs should be plug and plug-you shouldn't need to install anything

lakewoodlady
07-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Hi Blam6
I reinstalled the Seagate, by first uninstalling the whole thing (in Programs and Features) and removing it from the VISTA machine. Then I reinstalled it on the XP machine and everything worked fine, it synced everything automatically like it is supposed to.
When I reinstalled it on the VISTA I tried to set it up to sync and got the error that "FreeAgent Tools has stopped working and Windows will try to find a solution and will close the program".

I can send files and folders to it manually, but should be able to set it for automatic. I am sure there is something wrong in VISTA that is stopping it. I have checked in Services and it is enabled in there. Seagate says it is VISTA compatible.

LL

pctek
07-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Ah so it's the software that died, not the drive itself.

Just use Syncback.
BTW got your RMA replacement back from Seagate yet?

Blam
07-09-2009, 11:10 AM
Hi Blam6
I reinstalled the Seagate, by first uninstalling the whole thing (in Programs and Features) and removing it from the VISTA machine. Then I reinstalled it on the XP machine and everything worked fine, it synced everything automatically like it is supposed to.
When I reinstalled it on the VISTA I tried to set it up to sync and got the error that "FreeAgent Tools has stopped working and Windows will try to find a solution and will close the program".

I can send files and folders to it manually, but should be able to set it for automatic. I am sure there is something wrong in VISTA that is stopping it. I have checked in Services and it is enabled in there. Seagate says it is VISTA compatible.

LL

Have you tried running it as admin?

lakewoodlady
07-09-2009, 12:33 PM
PCTek,
Wasn't me who sent Seagate RMA away anywhere. Where do I find Syncback?

Blam6,
Yes have tried as Admin, and tried just about everything else. Will have to buy a wig soon, haven't got much hair left!

I think I'll just give up and save things on it manually from now on.

Cheers LL

Blam
07-09-2009, 01:06 PM
You can get syncback from here:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

Are there updates to this peice of software available on the Seagate site?

lakewoodlady
07-09-2009, 01:19 PM
It is supposed to get updates automatically. However, I have been to the Seagate site and there were none available for it. I'm pretty sure it is a VISTA problem.
I'll be going over to taranaki at the end of this month and will take the ehd with me to try on my sister's VISTA laptop and see if it works on there.

I looked at the syncback site, I guess to buy it is $30 US. I'll have to think about that.

LL

Blam
07-09-2009, 02:48 PM
There is a free version SE

lakewoodlady
07-09-2009, 04:28 PM
Hey thanks for that Blam6,
I have found that now and downloaded it. I did a run with it and it works just fine on the Seagate. I am sane once again!

:thanks LL

Blam
07-09-2009, 08:30 PM
Hey thanks for that Blam6,
I have found that now and downloaded it. I did a run with it and it works just fine on the Seagate. I am sane once again!

:thanks LL

Cool!:D

On thing I don't like about the seagate software, is you can only use it with Seagate drives.

Syncback has set you free!!!:D

R2x1
07-09-2009, 08:39 PM
Luxury ! !