PDA

View Full Version : Problem with new/second hard PCI card.

ianhnz
05-09-2009, 11:30 AM
I just installed a 6 port (2 internal) PCI usb card and now I have the following errors, :badpc: “This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12). If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system”. It’s a Standard enhanced PCI to USB controller. Location PCI Slot 1 (PCI Bus 1, device 6 function 3). I have tried uninstalling and rebooting. When I do this it comes up and says, new device found and tells me to do a restart. I do that and still same message from Device Manager. I had used this in my previous computer, with no problems. Can anyone advise as what else I can do? Thanks, Ian.

nedkelly
05-09-2009, 11:43 AM
how old is the pc it is in now?

ianhnz
05-09-2009, 11:52 AM
I don't know, maybe about 4 year old... Running XP Home, SP 3, etc...

nedkelly
05-09-2009, 12:21 PM
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732199(WS.10).aspx

ianhnz
05-09-2009, 12:27 PM
Sorry, but, Diagnosis

Two devices have been assigned the same input/output (I/O) ports, the same interrupt, or the same Direct Memory Access channel. The assignment was made by either the basic input/output system (BIOS), the operating system, or a combination of the two.
Resolution

This error message can also appear if the BIOS did not allocate enough resources to the device. You can use Device Manager to determine where the conflict is and disable the conflicting device.
Don't help...

Metla
05-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Don't help...

Then it may be over your head, the simple fact is you have a resource conflict and they need to be reassigned. generally XP is pretty good in this respect but sometimes it happens and needs manual intervention.

Take out all PCI devices,and all devices plugged into your system, start her up,shut her down, put all your cards back in,crank her up, with a bit of lick it will find each device and allocate resources and she will be sweet.

The card itself isn't at fault.

ianhnz
06-09-2009, 06:47 AM
Hi ya. After reading, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...99(WS.10).aspx, I thought that maybe the BIOS has a part in this. So I rebooted, accessed the bios and did a reset and now it works. Learn something everyday...

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2009, 07:21 AM
Just make sure something isnt disabled (that needs to be enabled), in the BIOS. Otherwise it wont work. That link doesnt work

ianhnz
06-09-2009, 07:26 AM
Hey Sppedy. I just did the Set defaults and exit trick and all seems fine. :thanks Ian.

Speedy Gonzales
06-09-2009, 07:36 AM
Yup, but what I meant was when you set the BIOS to the default settings, some options are disabled by default (which may need to be enabled), before you save the settings. And if theyre not enabled they wont work (or maybe slower) in windows. ie: USB 2 for example on some systems is set to the slower 1.1. If you dont change it to hispeed(USB 2 speed), whatever you plug into USB ports, will run at 1.1 speeds

ianhnz
06-09-2009, 07:38 AM
Thanks, I'll have a looks see. Ian