PDA

View Full Version : Home Networking - Wireless At 40 Yards?

SurferJoe46
05-09-2009, 08:36 AM
OK - I'm gonna move to a place where the internet speeds are a little faster than smoke signals (ugh!) and I want to be able to network with another computer wirelessly about 40 yards away from me.

Both puters are XP-Pro, SP3 or whatever's uptodate so far.

I want to be able to share files without having to use the internet at all - is that possible without setting up a server/network?

I just want to share via the ether on the wireless routers that I have in some fair supply. Verizon sends me one or so every 6-months and I just store them in my closet and use what I got running right now.

I will not have accessibility to DSL or cable/FIOS in a couple of months - just dial up at about 15-30kb.

Yeah - it will be s - l - o - w and may not be able to keep up with my typing either. On-line dictionaries are gonna die and flash is a K-killer!

So much for even thinking of running GoogleOS too.

Oh! I CAN get satellite, but the monthly cap is .7g. If you exceed that, they cut you another .3g until you get below that and then in 60 days you go back to .7g again.

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2009, 09:29 AM
Shouldnt be a prob just sharing a folder. Just name the workgroups the same, create and share a folder. Kill any firewalls, or let it pick up the network, then add it. The only thing you may need, is a bigger aerial. So it stays connected

SurferJoe46
05-09-2009, 09:39 AM
What I really want is the ability to install a chat tool of some sort to allow C/P and files sharing with typed communications too.

Any way of that happening? I just don't want to go ioto the web as that will kill the cap limit.

What I'd like is using my unit as a media server between the two homes.

Hard wire?

SurferJoe46
05-09-2009, 09:40 AM
What I really want is the ability to install a chat tool of some sort to allow C/P and files sharing with typed communications too.

Any way of that happening? I just don't want to go onto the web as that will kill the cap limit.

What I'd like is using my unit as a media server between the two homes.

Hard wire?

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2009, 09:46 AM
XP does have Winchat (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308232). Not too sure how good this is tho. You maybe able to select the other network (once it appears)

You could have used something like teamviewer, but this needs net access. You could (once the other PC appears) add it to the send to option. Then you can transfer files using that

nedkelly
05-09-2009, 10:14 AM
you can set teamviewer to do lan connections only and never connect to the internet

SurferJoe46
05-09-2009, 12:19 PM
Thanks - gonna look at teamchat.

How do different offices on a LAN do it? Do they have to send memos out to the internet and then retrieve them in an e-mail?

Kinda round about if you ask me.

gary67
05-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Wouldn't you still need to route the LAN? Don't think you can do a LAN on dial up, alternative is an Ad hoc network on wireless kids do it for games on their lappies

nedkelly
05-09-2009, 12:33 PM
if they are directly connected as in on the same lan with the same DHCP server or static you just enter in the ip of the pc you want to connect to. You just have to enable two options in the teamviewer options and it should work perfect. But remember teamviewer is for personal use only you need a license if you are going to use it for commercial use.

nedkelly
05-09-2009, 12:42 PM
ok here are the options you need to select on teamviewer. First under the tab General and is a tick box labelled Accept incoming LAN connections.
And the second one is under the tab Advanced, you need to click show advanced options. Then the option is down the very bottom under Network, it is a tick box labelled LAN connections only (TeamViewer will not connec to master server and is only accessible by IP)

SurferJoe46
05-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I just C/P'd that for me to use on Monday.