PDA

View Full Version : Do i need a new psu or what?

password
04-09-2009, 10:34 PM
Hey guys, have not been here for a while but i need some help...

I think i need a new psu..

My rig is:

AMD Athlon Dual core 4200+
2 Gb DDr2 Ram
ATi radeon 4650 512mb (was factory O/Ced)
80Gb IDE HD ( upgrading to 500gb Sata soon..)
Normal dvd writer

I got this G card about March..

It has only been recently that my graphics card has been crashing while playing games, over the last few weeks...

EG: I have been playing Mirrors edge, Full Grapics, AA, everything on very high.. (It happens on The lowest res and settings aswell)

I play for maybe 5 Minutes and then boom, The screen turns off and i need to hard restart the pc.:badpc:

It happens with Fallout 3, Mirrors Edge, Bioshock... ( At full settings, It happens on The lowest res and settings aswell), yet it is fine when i play COD4 and Crysis at full and med settings..

I have been looking through the logs from GPU-z and it seems to build up GPU Load till 99% and crashes..

I have pulled the fan out, cleaned it... I have put a **** load of fans around the craphics card and i have it in the open with side off, so it does not seem to be a cooling problem, as the idle temp is 40 Deg and full loud speed is about 50 Deg..

I only have one thought and that is to get a new PSU, I have a 400Watt Olympic one... I know... so i think its starving it....can anyone think of any thing else that could be the problem?? Also what sort of PSU? Im not the richest guy on earth =)

Thanks guys

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2009, 10:39 PM
Have you tried uninstalling the vid drivers, using something like drivercleaner, then reinstalling the later version of the drivers? Altho if the screen goes off, it sounds like the card maybe faulty or the cable. Does the screen go off normally?? Or only if you play games?

password
04-09-2009, 10:47 PM
Have you tried uninstalling the vid drivers, using something like drivercleaner, then reinstalling the later version of the drivers? Altho if the screen goes off, it sounds like the card maybe faulty or the cable. Does the screen go off normally?? Or only if you play games?

SOrry, im a bit tired..

1) If i uninstall the drivers, will the pc start with no drivers? ( after restart)

2)No, the screen ONLY goes off while playing games, it goes black and the power button on the screen goes from green to orange (dell ultrasharp) like when you turn off the pc and leave the monitor on.

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2009, 11:10 PM
SOrry, im a bit tired..

1) If i uninstall the drivers, will the pc start with no drivers? ( after restart)

Yup it will. It will install standard drivers. So you can see something. But it wont have the options (like CCC, when you install the ATI drivers)

2)No, the screen ONLY goes off while playing games, it goes black and the power button on the screen goes from green to orange (dell ultrasharp) like when you turn off the pc and leave the monitor on.

Hmm could be a driver prob, or the resolution youre using / the refresh rate maybe too high for the monitor. What version of the ATI drivers are installed now?

Do you get a stop error / BSOD?? If you do whats that say, and does it show the name of a driver / file?

password
04-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Yup it will. It will install standard drivers. So you can see something. But it wont have the options (like CCC, when you install the ATI driver)

Ok I will Try and uninstall the drivers tomorrow, I have the latest installed, CCc 9.8 or something?? I did not uninstall the old before installing the new so... may have screwed up somewhere...

Hmm could be a driver prob, or the resolution youre using / the refresh rate maybe too high for the monitor. What version of the ATI drivers are installed now?

Im just using normal 1024x768 at 60Hz, the lowest for the monitor... This is pissing me off haha, the games play fine while they are playing, mirrors edge, 1024x768 full graphics at 50 FPS..

Do you get a stop error / BSOD?? If you do whats that say, and does it show the name of a driver / file?

nope nothing, it just stutters for a sec and then black screen..

hueybot3000
05-09-2009, 12:13 PM
It sounds like it could be drivers, but Id advise getting a new PSU anyway. Go for Corsair or Enermax 500watt+. PSU's are always something that you can carry to the next computer so its worth spending the extra few bucks

password
05-09-2009, 12:35 PM
Ok, I have downloaded Drivercleaner Pro, Do i just Use it to uninstall the Ati CCC 9.8, restart and install it again?

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2009, 02:21 PM
You uninstall the drivers first, (both of them, if there's 2 versions) then use it. Select ccc, uninstall utility, and umm something else I think. Cant remember, in safe mode. Then reboot WHAT version of drivercleaner did you get?? Since the latest one isnt free. Then reinstall the latest version of the drivers for the card. Make sure you install the right drivers for the card

password
05-09-2009, 03:14 PM
You uninstall the drivers first, (both of them, if there's 2 versions) then use it. Select ccc, uninstall utility, and umm something else I think. Cant remember, in safe mode. Then reboot WHAT version of drivercleaner did you get?? Since the latest one isnt free. Then reinstall the latest version of the drivers for the card. Make sure you install the right drivers for the card

Done, and installed again, I tryed running mirrors edge and it stops and goes black but now it just does to the Ati VPU has recovered bla bla bla.. I will see if i can make a vid..

password
05-09-2009, 08:31 PM
I tihk i fixed it.... I have underclocked the memory buy 50mb and the clock by 10, i have been playing Mirrors edge at 50fps for the last hour and no crash, thanks Speedie and Hueybot

Speedy Gonzales
05-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Sweet !