PDA

View Full Version : Seagate HDD RMA

bk T
04-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Got a faulty 500GB HDD, checked with Seagate and confirmed that it is still under warranty but I have to send it back to Singapore for replacement. Cost of postage/ courier for sending it to Singapore will be quite a lot, because of its weight.

I bought it from PB but unfortunately has misplaced the receipt. In this case do you think that PB will take care of it? I actually bought another HDD of the same model from PB (still have the receipt) less than a year ago. Can I use this receipt to claim the warranty replacement? No serial number is printed on the receipt:D.

What you guys suggest?

Trev
04-09-2009, 10:43 PM
PB should have a record of the sale. If you paid by credit card go back through your credit card history for proof of purchase.
:)

Sweep
04-09-2009, 11:30 PM
PBTech should and will have a record of sale. Well they do in Hamilton.

Take your dead drive to them in AK and ask.

Oh. And presenting a later dated receipt for a warranty on a dead hard drive hopefully will get you done for misleading.

Trev
05-09-2009, 08:48 AM
Yes you could have the SFO knocking on your door.
:)

wratterus
05-09-2009, 09:37 AM
I sent two drives off to Singapore on Thursday in the same box, cost around $32.

bk T
05-09-2009, 10:06 AM
I sent two drives off to Singapore on Thursday in the same box, cost around $32.

Was it charged according to weight or the size of the parcel? You're using NZ post or some other courier company?

hueybot3000
05-09-2009, 12:07 PM
It cost me something like 18 bucks for one, they pack up pretty small really. Only thing I hated about RMA'in to seagate myself is they sent back a "fixed" hard drive that only lasted about an hour before dying competely. Only a 320gig though so i didnt bother chasing it up

somebody
05-09-2009, 12:10 PM
Use this tool to estimate the cost: http://www.nzpost.co.nz/Cultures/en-NZ/OnlineTools/Ratefinder/InternationalParcels

bk T
05-09-2009, 12:11 PM
It cost me something like 18 bucks for one, they pack up pretty small really. Only thing I hated about RMA'in to seagate myself is they sent back a "fixed" hard drive that only lasted about an hour before dying competely. Only a 320gig though so i didnt bother chasing it up

Are you kidding? They sent you a 'fixed' one rather than a new drive?

BTW, is there a Local Agent in NZ?

Agent_24
06-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Of course they aren't going to send you a brand new one

hueybot3000
06-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Na they send out certified repaired drives, except whoever certified mine as being repaired was definitely pulling them from the wrong bin and slapping labels on

hueybot3000
06-09-2009, 03:22 PM
And no local agent that im aware of, you gotta send to singapore but can also send to australia, I got given an address in sydney when i did mine

fishe
27-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Does anyone know if they really care much about packaging?

They do make quite a thing of it, and say to use only thick foam or their special Seagate plastic packaging containers. They also say do not use bubble wrap, newspaper etc.

As I don't have foam or their special containers, I was just going to use a decent few layers of bubble wrap with double cardboard outer protection.

hueybot3000
27-10-2009, 03:13 PM
they're not that fussy, ive sent them wrapped in bubble wrap with cardboard around it, used the corrogated stuff

wratterus
27-10-2009, 03:16 PM
they're not that fussy, ive sent them wrapped in bubble wrap with cardboard around it, used the corrogated stuff

Yeah they don't mind too much. Make an effort, but you don't need to go overboard. I normally use a HDD bag, wrapped in bubble wrap in a small box with some foam.