PDA

View Full Version : DVD drive will not "see" a mini-CD

Tony_Ryan
04-09-2009, 04:59 PM
I have a Lightscribe DVD drive and a moderate-spec PC with Windows XP Professional with SP2 and all current updates.
I have just bought a gadget (Veho turntable for LPs) which came with a mini-CD of software. When I place this CD in the centre recess of the drive tray (and close it), nothing happens. If I then go to "My Computer" and click on the DVD Drive, I am told "place a disk in the drive".
Apparently the system cannot "see" this min-disk (which does fit the small central recess in the drive tray".
How do I get it to "read" this disk?

Speedy Gonzales
04-09-2009, 05:09 PM
Did you put it in the right way?

Billy T
04-09-2009, 05:13 PM
Interesting problem.

CDs & DVDs read from the inner to the outer edge and the table of contents is right at the inner edge of the disk, so the DVD/CD drive is totally unaware of the size of the disk inserted. Might need a clean, I had a drive once that leaked lube onto the inner tracks and TOC so the disks had to be cleaned after each play, until I bought an new drive.

Can you try it on another computer? You may have to copy the data to another disk if that one is incompatible with your drive.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Tony_Ryan
04-09-2009, 05:30 PM
Did you put it in the right way?

Yes, I did - label side up, like all other disks.
Drive did not seem to spin the disk at all when it was put in - at any rate, I did not hear it (which I usually can).

Tony_Ryan
04-09-2009, 05:51 PM
Interesting problem.

CDs & DVDs read from the inner to the outer edge and the table of contents is right at the inner edge of the disk, so the DVD/CD drive is totally unaware of the size of the disk inserted. Might need a clean, I had a drive once that leaked lube onto the inner tracks and TOC so the disks had to be cleaned after each play, until I bought an new drive.

Can you try it on another computer? You may have to copy the data to another disk if that one is incompatible with your drive.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

I have found a "work-around". Apparently this is Open Source software, so I can just download it. However, somebody I spoke to at the supplier says that they have found that /some/ disk drives cannot read the mini-disks. Seems surprising, as the disk drawer does have the inner small recess to hold a mini-disk!
The drive is a Light-Scribe one - DVD-RW SHM-165H65

robjg63
06-09-2009, 07:27 PM
It could just be a dud disk of course - Can you try it (out of interest) in another drive?

I had issues with a PC I bought - I installed a LiteOn DVD drive and it wouldnt read CD disks properly - it was fine on DVDs - I then realised that it needed an 80 wire IDE cable - Yes it is an older DVD drive/pc. That helped a little.

Also, worth checking the manufacturers site to see if there is a firmware update for the drive - you dont mention the brand - but manufacturers do often release firmware updates to improve recognition of media etc from time to time.