PDA

View Full Version : IDE Optical Drive disappears during XP installation

CYaBro
04-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Hey,

I have come across a strange problem that I have never seen before.

I have 2nd hand PC I have put together to sell, some new parts, some 2nd hand.
The mainboard is 2nd hand and is an SLI MSI Skt939 board, 2nd hand 160GB SATA HDD and 2nd hand IDE DVDRW.
It has been running Windows 7 RC fine for about a month.
Yesterday I tried to install Windows XP Home SP3.
Everything goes fine through the blue DOS screen part and it reboots and does some more installation and detection of hardware etc.
Then you get the usual screens asking for user details, product key etc then you get the network installation.
After that it tries to finish the installation but then asks for the SP3 CD location.
If you try and browse to the optical drive you get an error saying that the location is not available. :confused::confused:

I tried a couple of other IDE drives with the same result.
In the end I put in a SATA optical drive and the installation went through fine.

The only thing I can think of that could be causing the problem is that Windows is detecting the incorrect IDE type, during the hardware detection stage, and is installing the incorrect IDE drivers.

Anyone ever seen this before?

Blam
04-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Could it have been the IDE cable?

wainuitech
04-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Yep had it happen quite often - Some times it was because the optical drive couldn't read a particular CD - change the CD to another copy of XP and away it went.

Other times I have had to put in XP SP2, then upgrade it to SP3.

CYaBro
11-11-2009, 11:09 AM
Yep had it happen quite often - Some times it was because the optical drive couldn't read a particular CD - change the CD to another copy of XP and away it went.

Other times I have had to put in XP SP2, then upgrade it to SP3.

An update on this:

I finally sold this machine but the customer needs XP Pro.
So I removed XP Home and tried to install XP Pro SP3 and had the same problem as I originally posted about.
I made another disc with XP Pro SP2 and the same things happens.
So it is not a Service Pack issue or a disc issue or a drive issue, as I tried several IDE drives.
The only way to get it installed is by using a SATA optical drive then swap back to IDE once installed.
The IDE drive works fine in Windows. :illogical:illogical